Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jennifer

moisturizer controversy

hi. so i'm about to start slathering on the 2.5% bp, but i'm having some skepticism about the moisturizer step. my derm, who just administered the clearlight therapy to me with fair results, told me that anyone with moderate acne (like me) has GOT to throw away all their moisturizers in order to achieve clear skin. my skin has never needed a moisturizer, i mean it's so oily, so i'm afraid to start

does anyone have advice? thanks!

Hi Jennifer! A girl named Jennifer is inlove with me. smile.gif

Anyway, back on topic. First off, dermatologists...

Ahh... Lol... I've been on so many derma's and spent over 1000$ on them, but some just made my acne worse.

Sad to say, but these dermatologists.. Even though they studied skin care and the like, they are'nt so well versed in how acne works. (I know from experience)

Let me tell you one thing! And listen carefully!

Moisturizer.

You have oily skin, right? You want the cure for that?

I was at one point the oiliest guy around. In the whole campus my face was all oiled up that it would drip!

You want the cure I used to help make the oil stop?

Moisturizer! smile.gif

Cetaphil + Neutrogena spf 15 moisturizer

I was skeptical too at first. But when I read on how moisturizer helps decrease oil production it hit me:

If you moisturize your skin enough with moisturizer and non-drying soaps/wash the skin would no longer need to produce oil!

Having this said, do not expect instant results! I've been using moisturizer for a good 10 months or so. But with good results. I do not have the best skin yet. But I know that it's improving. Stick with it.

Hope this helps! smile.gif Take care!

I think that having acne means that you have got to be careful not to buy a moisturiser that will aggravate your acne symptoms. But I think the general consensus you'll find from most people is that moisturiser does no harm or is actually beneficial. Following the regimen will make you dry and dryness is irritating and you want to avoid irritation - so applying moisturiser is a way of reducing the irritation.

i agree with your derm, just use a gentle cleanser and you shouldnt need one anyway. i'm also pretty oily and completly disagree with whoever thinks oil production is slowed by using moisturizer. if anything all that crap just keeps the oil from getting out of your pores, and u dont want that do u?

Perhaps you have extra super-oily skin? Even so, I would think using generous amounts of bp will make it dry. You can always play it by ear. But if you get dry, be not afraid of moisturizer.

A good dermatologist would NEVER EVER tell you not to moisturize. Something fishy is going on there. Moisture is the essence of the skin's balancing system. Every skin needs some sort of moisture.

Besides the benefits of keeping your skin soft, a sunscreen moisturizer protects your skin from UV damage. The only options are to wear a sunblock, which will also have some moisturizing properties, or use a moisturizer with sunscreen in it. I don't know what kind of derm would tell you to not wear sun protection.