Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrBobioSmithio

TONER/ASTRINGENT before BP

Hi all,

Two days ago I bought the Sea Breeze Astringent with 1% salicylic acid.

After using a cleanser and waiting 10 minutes, I am applying the astringent, waiting another half hour, and then using Dan's BP.

What are your comments about using SA in an astringent form before using BP?

From what I've heard, SA and BP work well together (isn't that what Max Clarity does...)

Or will this combination be too irritating for the skin?

Help!!! I'm very worried that this astringent might break me out. All comments appreciated

From the FAQs:

Q: Can I use salicylic acid with the Regimen?

A: The jury is still out. The majority of medical books I scoured for acne medication information specifically warn against the combination of salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide, calling it "overly irritating". Several people on the Regimen have noted this. This warning is echoed when combining benzoyl peroxide with several other acne medications as well, resorcinol and sulfur to name two. Remember, irritation aggravates breakouts.

However, some Acne.org members have used salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide successfully. If you want to try this, first use the Regimen without salicylic acid until you are completely clear. Then, feel free to add in one variable at a time such as the addition of salicylic acid.

Thank you for the fast response.

I have a question about exfoliaters now. Why is Dan so keen on using AHA on top of BP and not BHA (salicylic acid)?

He claims AHA cream is like a miracle "zit zapper"; yet salicylic acid seems to be an irritater/dryer?

For whatever reason, AHA doesn't seem to react with BP the same way that BHA does. Some people are able to use Salicylic Acid and BP together, but it's not recommended for people who are just starting The Regimen (AHA isn't recommended for the first month at least, either).

If you've been on The Regimen for a few months, and your skin is staying pretty consistently clear, you can try the astringent if you want. Just pay careful attention to your skin to make sure that it doesn't get too dried out or irritated. If it does, you may have to stop using the astringent.