Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karam

POLL: how long did you have acne before getting on accutane, & do you regret not getting on it sooner?

POLL: how long did you have acne before getting on accutane, & do you regret not getting on it sooner?

Haha, ohh I sure did regret not getting Accutane sooner! However I am cleared up now so all is well.

I had acne spots for like 2.5 years. Not very bad (never on my face either) so that is why I just kept putting off accutane.

3 years. i don't wish i went on accutane sooner, i just wish i went to a derm sooner. i fussed around with proactiv for a year and that was a mistake... but accutane's a last resort so i had to try other things before it. so i think i took it at the right time

I've had it for 10 years, and the last 2 years is when it started to get worse & worse

I definitely wish I got on it sooner, I kept on thinking I would grow out of it...and I let myself get scared of accutane

I had mine 15+ plus, I went 8 years ago, but didnt take it, and now im on it, started little over 2 months ago, I kinda wish i went 8 years ago but, then again maybe its better to take it if your older and done with puberty

4-5 years

It's hard to regret it but I was it was a viable option for me before taking numerous antibiotics and topicals that have caused pretty severe scarring.

I had mine for 2 years and suffered things like these from my family and landlord:

"What's happened to your skin?"

"Wow...you've gotten ugly" (Yes I'm not paraphrasing, those were their words)

"Your skin is like that because you're not eating right"

"You need to lose weight because you got fat and that's why your skin is like that"

"You can't go out, your face is soooo bad"

(It's ok, I'm disowning my so called family soon and I got rid of the landlord)

I also spent about $2000 on dermabrasion, chemical peels, green peels, facials, topicals etc before Roac. I've been on Roac for 11 months (I know!!!) and I've only spent a total of $55.00 for 11 months' worth of Roac.

So yes, HELL YES.

Edited by MissPiggy

I've had acne since early 2006, so about 4 and a half years now. I had no idea what accutane even was until my derm mentioned it.

I don't regret anything with the drug. I wish I didn't have to take it so many times (currently in 3rd course) but it works.

I've had acne since early 2006, so about 4 and a half years now. I had no idea what accutane even was until my derm mentioned it.

I don't regret anything with the drug. I wish I didn't have to take it so many times (currently in 3rd course) but it works.

3rd course, wow

how long after each course did it take for you to relapse

I know some people need a second course...but do you have any idea why your acne is persistent enough for you to need a 3rd course?

3rd course, wow

how long after each course did it take for you to relapse

I know some people need a second course...but do you have any idea why your acne is persistent enough for you to need a 3rd course?

Well, my first go round with accutane, my acne was the worst it had ever been. Cysts/nodules on both sides of my face. I started in February of 07 and finished up that course in October of 07. I was clear until February of 09.

I started my second course in the summer of 09 and ended in October of 09. The acne came back in January of 2010 and I'm on accutane again (1 month so far), so my third course.

No idea why the acne is persistent. My dermatologist seems to think it's because I lift weights. I don't really buy that theory.

When I went on accutane the first time, the acne covered both sides of my face. Since then, it only appears on my left side.

My derm already said this is the last time I'm going on accutane. Hopefully I won't need it ever again but I'm not optimistic.

I started getting acne when i was like...12. So 6 years. I do wish i went for accutane sooner because i would be clear now, but i was too scared of the side effects and i didnt think it was that bad..but then it just never got any better. I'm not done accutane yet but im glad im on it and just wish i hadnt wasted so much time.

6 years. I do not regret not getting it sooner because I would have been very young, as I am only 16 right now and I still consider that pretty young to be taking it.

Since i was 13.. and imm 17 now so thats 4 years it seems to have gone more severe as ive aged |: luckly im on roaccutane at the moment and im on my 6th week and foreheads showing improvement cheeks slightly alot appearing on jawline but yeah i regret not going on roaccutane sooner because my face is ruined by acne.

mild acne from about 14-19...nothing other then regular pimples

at 20 it started getting worse, which was back in February of this year.

started with more small pimples and now i get the occasional cysts...which is completely new to me.

im starting in about 2 weeks....and i do regret not getting it a couple months ago because my face is riddled with oh so beautiful redmarks...joy :dance:

so yes I do regret not getting it earlier.....but i never had the option previously

Had moderate persistent acne on the face for 16 years and finally had enough when my back broke out with literally a hundred-ish pimples/cysts last winter. I'm now ending my fourth and hopefully final month of 80mg/day of Accutane. And of course I wish I had taken the plunge sooner. Dry lips, thinning hair, and joint pain for four months is a small price to pay. Even if those side-effects don't completely go away once I'm off Accutane, it will still be worth it.