Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
green&red

A Bactrim log

Background- I have been suffering from acne since the age of 10. Thats 18 years now. It went from being moderate adolescent-like (many small pimples in the t-zone) to larger painful cystic-like acne as I got older( all in my cheeks, jawline, chin and neck). I started going to a derm in my late teens and he prescribed several antibiotics and topicals throughout a course of more than three years with monthly visits. Throughout those three years I saw my acne only worsen. He finally prescribed accutane as a "last resort". He was obviously very hesitant to go that route since it took two years for him to finally try it. It was exactly what one would expect. I had monthly blood tests, bouts of dry skin and lips all of which were a pain in the butt but after 6 months I had clear skin for the first time in years.

Unfortunately only a year after I stopped accutane my acne came back. Bad as ever. I had lost my insurance after graduating college so I went for a few years trying to treat the acne with over the counter topicals. This did NOTHING. I got more acne and more depressed. There were days where I would avoid social situations just due to the acne. I was very self conscious and it caused nasty anxiety and depression. I was hopeless.

I finally got a full time job with local government and got insurance. I had to find a new dermatologist and at my first appointment he prescribed a second round of accutane. 4 months instead of 6 at a lower dose. Again I had the dryness and monthly blood tests but I did just as well on it as the first time. My skin cleared up but this lasted only 6 months or so. During that time I decided that taking the drug wasn't for me anymore. Being a sexually active female, I didn't want to have to worry about what would happen should I become pregnant. (taking the pill every day at the exact same time is HARD) Thats when My dr. prescribed bactrim.

I did fairly well on it. My skin cleared up after 2 months but I eventually became paranoid about the long-term affects of it and stopped taking it, stopped visiting my derm and went back to the grocery store topicals. Guess what happened next? Yep, acne. It slowly started to come back after 6 months or so. The same cystic-like painful acne around my chin, jaw, neck and cheeks. This time I've gotten back acne. Not severe but annoying. So went back to the derm and he basically said to stop being stupid and take the bactrim since it works for me. The game plan this time is to take 600mg 2x daily until my skin is clear. Then he said I could try going down to one a day. If I stay clear I could do half a day....down to maybe only having to take one pill a week or just when I flair up. I should also mention I will have a 6mo blood test to make sure its not having any negative affects.

I filled the prescription yesterday and I will take the 4th pill tonight. It might just be coincidence but I have only one new breakout today under my chin (I usually have at least 3 new active breakouts every day). I've heard that people can become resistant to it and it doesn't work as well the second time around. I want to log my progress or lack of so I can keep track if it. I am by nature a very impatient person and it is hard to see a difference when you are looking in the mirror a hundred times a day. I think a log would help determine if the bactrim is as effective for me as it was the first time.

I have seen a lot of good reviews for bactrim so I am hoping to get some feedback. I would also like to see more logs from people using bactrim so we can compare results. I am still slightly nervous about taking something unnatural for such a long period of time but I also want my confident and happy self back.

I forgot to say that I am not currently using any prescribed topicals. My insurance doesn't cover it (isn't governmet insurance supposed to be awesome?) and it is super expensive. Right now I just wash with castille soap and use neutrogena acne defense face lotion-2% salicylic acid. The only thing Benzoyl peroxide has ever seemed to do for me is bleach out my clothes and leave me with gross peely/flaky breakouts. The only thing thats worse than having acne is peely acne.

I do need to moisturize and I have had a lot of luck with jojoba oil. I put a few drops on my face in the am before makeup. I've been doing that for a few weeks now and don't seem to have as many blackheads in my t-zone. I think the petroleum based stuff was clogging my pores.

originally posted this in the wrong spot-still figuring this site out.

Ok been on the stuff for 5 days. having what I think is an initial breakout. Is this normal for antibiotics? I can't remember this happening my first time around. Lots of breakouts on my jawline and neck. Had a nasty cystic-like one on my neck yesterday but it has gone down a lot today. I am also finding a bunch of raised bumps on my cheeks. I am thinking these will turn into breakouts in the next few days? Fun. I've also found that my apatite has decreased somewhat which is highly unusual for me.ha. It wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds but I am keeping an eye on it.

I would appreciate people posting their experiences-specially with initial breakouts on bactrim. How long should I expect it to last?

Today is day 8 on bactrim. Its the first time I haven't had acne on my cheeks and jaw area in over a year. I still have a bunch of bumps, which I assume will be breaking out in the next few days...weeks. I am hoping not all at the same time. I only have one small pimple on the side of my chin and none on my neck today, but still lots of bumps there too. they are easy to cover with makeup but I can definitely feel them even thought I am not supposed to be touching my face..... Overall my skin looks good today besides the two breakouts right on the edge of my lip, right next to each other. YUCK!!!! They kind of look like cold sores but definitely pimples. never have breakouts in that area. Must be the initial breakout.

No breakouts on my back which is great. Just some left over red spots.

Went to using an old tube of 10% benzoyl peroxide at night because all these bumps are scaring me. Its been making my skin dry but the jojoba oil is keeping it in check. I put it on a little heavier and let is soak in before i put on makeup in the morning.

Going camping this weekend with my bf, my sister and her bf. I hope that I don't have a crazy breakout during that time. I am so uncomfortable w/out makeup and I am sure I won't be able to check mirrors very often during that time. Ever since my skin started breaking out again I don't let anyone see me without makeup. It would be soooo nice not to have to worry about it this weekend.

7 hrs later-definitely feel more acne setting in in the chin area. One on the back of my neck at my hair line...ROAR! Anybody know how long a typical initial breakout lasts while on antibiotics? Anybody????

I think its day 10? Hmm well the good news is I don't have any huge cystic-ish active breakouts anywhere on my body. I do have quite a few small ones-mostly on the left side of my face in the jawline area. I have a BUNCH of bumps on my cheeks, jawline ans neck. They are getting more raised as if they will soon break out and I definitely have more than I did when I started.

Made a major no-no and went to bed without washing my face last night. I confess it happens a lot when I stay over at my boyfriends. Its inconvenient to bring my arsenal of acne-fighting products. I hate letting him see me without makeup so I end up going to bed with it on. In my defense, I do use bare minerals....if that counts for anything.

I've been trying stick with using some kind of topical at night to help with those little bumps on my cheeks, jawline and neck. I've been going back and forth from SA to BP. Doesn't seem to be causing any changes.

One other major change-I added ortho tricyclen to the mix for birth control purposes more so than for acne. Its a generic from meijer. I've used it in past but I've have all sorts of issues with hormonal birth control pills. I've never been able to find one that doesn't have side-affects. I am going to try to keep an eye on things, make sure I stick to my routine and see how it goes. regular ortho is commonly used as an acne treatment so I am hoping it won't make anything worse.

As for the bactrim, I am finding that I am still getting nausea after I take it in the mornings, even with food. I found out I can get the prescription for FREE at meijer though which is fantastic.

Still trying to figure out if initial breakouts are normal for this med and how long they last. Any feedback would be great!

I think its day 10? Hmm well the good news is I don't have any huge cystic-ish active breakouts anywhere on my body. I do have quite a few small ones-mostly on the left side of my face in the jawline area. I have a BUNCH of bumps on my cheeks, jawline ans neck. They are getting more raised as if they will soon break out and I definitely have more than I did when I started.

Made a major no-no and went to bed without washing my face last night. I confess it happens a lot when I stay over at my boyfriends. Its inconvenient to bring my arsenal of acne-fighting products. I hate letting him see me without makeup so I end up going to bed with it on. In my defense, I do use bare minerals....if that counts for anything.

I've been trying stick with using some kind of topical at night to help with those little bumps on my cheeks, jawline and neck. I've been going back and forth from SA to BP. Doesn't seem to be causing any changes.

One other major change-I added ortho tricyclen to the mix for birth control purposes more so than for acne. Its a generic from meijer. I've used it in past but I've have all sorts of issues with hormonal birth control pills. I've never been able to find one that doesn't have side-affects. I am going to try to keep an eye on things, make sure I stick to my routine and see how it goes. regular ortho is commonly used as an acne treatment so I am hoping it won't make anything worse.

As for the bactrim, I am finding that I am still getting nausea after I take it in the mornings, even with food. I found out I can get the prescription for FREE at meijer though which is fantastic.

Still trying to figure out if initial breakouts are normal for this med and how long they last. Any feedback would be great!

Hey are you taking regular Bactrim or Bactrim DS. I took Bactrim DS for 20 days. I have a short log of it in my profile, where i just recapped the 19 days lol, but i just stopped yesterday because i believe it was attributing to some side effects i was having as in, no appetite, bloating stomach, low blood sugar, shakiness. I have always broke out in cysts on chin and near mouth and tiny bumps near nose on cheeks and it kept me clear up until like day 16-17 i developed one cyst on chin that is still there right now, it is being very stubborn. Other than though i was very pleased on how it kept my skin, my skin was still very oily though and i was not using any topicals either.

I am going to see if any of these side effects go away or not while off Bactrim but i am hoping my acne does not come back full force either. If my side effects stay then i will know its cause of my anxiety issue i talked about in my log then i will prolly get back on the Bactrim again. I hope it eventually keeps you clear for good.

Thanks for the info JayQ. Its bactrim ds-didn't know there was a difference. As far as the side affects go I'm with you on the nausea appetite loss. Feeling sickish and bloated all day today. I haven't had the shakes or low blood sugar though. That might be brought on by the anxiety. (and having to deal with bad skin doesn't help the anxiety does it ?) I've been especially careful to make sure i take them with food and water so its a bit frustrating. I read that you can take probiotics to help bring back the good bacteria in your digestive system so I might look into that. Hope they aren't super expensive.

Its day 12 now I think and I am still seeing new breakouts in my stubborn jaw area. Since I've started I'd say I have a 20% improvement when compared to how my face looks today. I was maybe too optimistic and had hoped for greater improvement by now. I've seen lots of review saying that bactrim had cleared people up within days.

Day 14. Set back. My face looked good yesterday but I woke up this morning with several new breakouts in my jaw area, around my neck and one big bump lurking under the skin on my cheek next to my nose. If it becomes inflamed it will be huge. All the bumps on my face that I was talking about earlier are definitely slowly becoming inflamed acne. Except for the one on my cheek, they are all small but there are several of them. If I remember correctly, the last time I was on bactrim it took a while to get clear but I didn't log changes and it was a pretty stressful time in my life so honestly its a blur. Maybe the bactrim in combo with just starting the pill has something to do with all the bumps showing up?

Started taking accuflora probiotic for my belly yesterday. Hopefully that will help with the bloated full feeling and nausea. I am also going to try to stay away from dairy-I've had more than I usually do lately so that might be contributing to the belly problems.

overall, feeling discouraged today :( Also feeling overly tired and crappy. Might have a sick day from work.

day 20. I am still getting breakouts but overall my face looks better. It seems like its been up and down. I'll have a few days of clearer skin with no active breakouts and then a day or two of breaking out. on the first day I started the bactrim I had this patch of breakouts on the side of my jaw area next to my chin that was constantly breaking out-a real stubborn area. that patch has now cleared up but I am getting some breakouts higher up on my cheeks and still on my neck. Overall there has been improvement-I'd say about 50% better but the process is going slower than I wanted.

I am still having stomach problems associated with the antibiotic and I am still taking probiotics to help. Haven't seen a lot of improvement in that area but its only been a week for the probiotic. I've also been avoiding milk for the most part.

Still using BP after I wash at night even though I hate the stuff. There are still quite a few bumps under my skin that scare me so maybe the BP will keep them from becoming inflamed.

When I washed my face this morning I counted more hyperpigmentation/scar spots from old breakouts than active breakouts and that is a good thing.

Day 22 or 23...not sure which. Meh. Some areas are better. Some are worse. This patch skin on my lower cheek/jaw next to my chin that was a really stubborn area is looking better. I am still getting neck acne-major bummer. Its hard to hide and gets super inflamed. Not cystic but noticeable. I still have bumps spread all over both cheeks which one by one turn into inflamed (but also small) acne. If I had posted two days ago I would have said my skin looked pretty good. Today it looks pretty bad. I am pretty bummed with the ups and downs. A lot of the bactrim reviews say its cleared people up quite quickly. Its been almost a month and I am not seeing the results I was expecting. Not getting a lot of feedback on here. Wondering if not many people are on bactrim for acne....

Still on the same regimen-

bactrim ds (generic) 2 x per day

ortho tri cyclen bcp

only wash am and pm with plain castile soap

apply bp at night most nights when my skin isn't too dry for it

moisturize when needed with organic jojoba oil

accuflora probiotic for the belly

very little dairy/soda/meat

the probiotic has helped And I've made sure to get more fiber and fruit in my diet to help with my stomach issues. I've lost 5 lbs since I started due to the lost appetite. Not to worry though, I can afford to lose even a bit more.