Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
punk_chick

Lightweight foundation for oily-acne skin

hi guys, I am looking forward for a lightweight foundation for my oily and blemish skin. I need it for daily use so it shouldnt be a heavy one, it should be non-comodegenic and lightweight... I cant use mineral and powder foundations because of dehydrated skin issue so I think a liquid one... I ve tried some ...

Ive use dior nude,it was kinda good but no good color selection,lightest shade was sooo pink on me,

Glo minerals liquid- it broke me out horribly because its not oil-free

Bourjois healthy mix- not good coverage,no good color selection and shine city by midday!

Laura mercier powder foundation- it accuantes my dry patches and left my skin even more dehydrated and looked like masky under daylight and artificial light.. yuck!

And some other mineral foundations... they all got seperated and left me shiny

Now I am thinking about laura mercier oil-free and lancome teint idole... I am not sure which one is better in terms of safety, being lightweight and oil control... I dont wanna look like Im wearing a mask... Im tired of people's saying " you ve done too much makeup today " :( it sucks...

waiting for recommendations...

I have had major acne for years using mainstream cosmetics, I am really against them. I have years of research under my belt on ingredients in cosmetics and how they effect the skin. Glo Minerals did not break you out due to the oil in them, I can tell you that from reading their ingredients. Here is their liquid mineral ingredients................

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Glycerin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer-3, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Thermus Thermophilus Ferment, Propylene Glycol, Nylon-12, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Malachite Extract, Methicone, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phytonadione, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Caviar Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide.

HOLY CHEMICAL MIX! Do you even know what these ingredients are? Besides terrible for your skin. Silicones are bad for your skin, many people here will disagree with me on this, but we are on a acne borad so there is truth to this. DImethicone, cyclomethicone silicones etc put a seal over the skin that is likened to saran wrap, it suffocates the skin and clogs pores, causing breakouts. Propelyne glycol is a lubricating agent used in break fluid (I don't care if it is used in food and pharmaceuticals, I still wouldn't put it anywhere near my face!)

The term "OIL FREE" is pretty much propaganda that was started by mainstream companies due to the fact that "Mineral Oil" (a petrol gasoline industry byproduct) was causing many people to break out. Instead of using Vegetal oils aka natural oils such as jojoba, hazelnut oil (good for acne as it is astringent on the skin), etc... they started using CHEMICALS and SYNTHETIC tryglycerides as they are CHEAPER and then they could claim "OIL FREE" and everyone would assume it is good for the skin. Oil Free can be bad for acne. My acne is virtually gone due to the fact that I use natural oils on my skin. The key is not to slather on the oil and continue using mainstream chemical products. You need to look for the least amount of ingredients as possible in any product you use, or one you can understand what the ingredients may be. Oils can be very good for the skin as for example JOJOBA OIL is very close to the skins natural sebum and is readily accepted by the skin, it also has something called "Secondary Benefits" this means it has natural occuring vitamins, GLA'S and antioxidants that you get the benefit of by rubbing it into your skin. You do not get these benefits from synthetic ingredients.

I would guess by your post that you are using a soap based cleanser that is drying out your skin(throwing off the skins natural acid mantle), this can leave you dry and oily and make it very hard to apply makeup. You can make cleansers at home and this would help the dryness issues. Trust me on years of reasearch, oils are good for your skin, it just depends on which ones. Mineral makeup is still the way to go, fins one that works for you. Stay away from bismuth oxychloride brands (they are shiny and can cause breakouts), you can mix your mineral makeup with moisturizer and have a liquid foundation. Hope this helps!~

Hi there... I also have oily and acne prone skin. I've stopped using bare escentuals because I think it was irritating my skin too much. I've started back to the department store brand Almay. It is called Clear Complexion Makeup, and it is made for oily blemished skin. Whether or not it actually heals blemishes like it claims I don't know. But I have noticed that this makeup doesn't go on heavy for me like most liquid foundations. I put it on just moisturized skin without a primer.

This may sound funny but I've noticed that this foundation seems to go on better when I apply it with my fingers rather than with a sponge. Also for my skin I have to apply a rather generous amount to get coverage but it still looks good and doesn't get super shiny throughout the day. This hasn't broken me out yet and it is inexpensive. You should give it a try! ;)

Hope this helps!

thanx for ideas

leighbrack2 I really interested in what you've said... I always try to pay attention ingredients but as you say I dont know what they mean usually.. I just try to choose the products that are oil,talc and bismuth free... but finding one isnt that easy you know... I ve tried to mix minerals with moustrizer but again it didnt work for me I have kinda weird skin, nothing holds up, just smudges and disseappears a couple of hours later... I use LRP effaclar for cleaning my skin, it says its soap-free but still leaves me dry... I dont know anything about using oils I always think they are bad for my skin... I just tried natural apricot oil and it caused whiteheads and I stopped... I think I should take a look at the oil world but I dont know where to start...

ever_wishful , we havent got almay here but I will check if I can buy it from internet... can you post the ingredients list if you have?

and what about the color range... do you know whether they have yellow-based colors or not?

Hi. I have the same skin problems and I use Skin Perfection Gel by a brand called Perfekt. It does have silicone in it because it is supposed to function like a primer as well as a concealer and foundation all in one, so you only need one layer. It is lightweight and never clogs my pores and keeps my oil controlled throughout the day. It's also sweat and water-proof, so it's great for hot, humid days. It is pretty expensive (about $55 USD), so I would suggest sampling it first at the store to see how it works with your skin. You can buy it at Sephora. If I need heavier coverage I will sometimes use a mineral powder on top, but Perfekt's primer/foundation is fine for everyday use on its own. I hope that helps.

Oils aren't bad for your skin, its just about using the correct ones. Apricot kernal oil, isn't a great choice for acne so I can see if it gave you issues. Your skincare can also be a major factor with the acne. I would suggest trying to get a natural/organic brand that is soap free to startt, or if you have time you can make some pretty easy ones at home yourself. You can make a cleanser using 1tbl honey, 1tbl kaolin clay or dry powder clay or regular cooking flour in a pinch (from health food stores), add water to make a paste, cleanse and rinse. This is a effective cleanser as honey is antibacterial, the clay or flour add exfoliation etc.. Burts bees has some pretty good skincare (i don't care for their acne line though). I wouldn't recommend foundations with silicone as silicones can break you out, you can try it and just watch for breakouts but I try not to put things on my skin that don't benefit it. Also for oils, Hazelnut oil is good for acne prone skin as it is astringent like.~

Edited by leighbrack2

I've heard that Clinique's foundation made for acne prone skin works very well but what has really helped me the most was using a correcting primer - I use Loreal Studio Secrets Perfecting Base which acts like a nude colored balm and smooths out your complexion and mattes your blemishes so that even a powder glides on evenly and stays on. I use Chanel Double Matte Perfection which is a dual powder / liquid and glides on so pretty for a more natural look after years of using Boots No.7 liquid foundation.

I recently started using covergirls foundation called clean. It's Alot more sheer than most foundations and fragrance free which I personally like(:they have three different ones from the clean line. Sensitive skin, oily, and normal.