Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everybody. I just received a response to an e-mail that I sent to a plastic surgeon regarding the correction of my atrophic boxcar-style acne scars. I want to see what you guys think of this. The response surprised me. I just had my dermatologist recommend laser treatments last week. I would like you guys to tell me if you think this doctor seems like he knows what he is talking about. Here is the response:

John,

Dr. Hilger has done trauma surgery for over 20 years. This is not new to him.

The SmoothBeam laser or even the other lasers that are out there will not improve the scar.

Filling the scar by collagen or other fillers on the market may help but they are a temporary fix. They would need to be done every 4-5 months.

Even fat transplants would need to be corrected again at least yearly.

TCA peels are great for wrinkles and pigmentation.

Anything that does not have anydown time will not improve the area, the best thing is to have the area dermabraded. Sometimes with "ice pick scars" we need to fix re-excise the area and leave only a thin incision line. Later, we would dermabrade or buff off the area. As the new skin comes, in the area will be red like a sunburn and fade over the next few weeks. This is the only thing that will be worth the effort and money.

Now, we aren't doing this in our Edina office anymore just because we are so busy we have had to delete some procedures that we do.

You could see him in Fridley to do this though. That number is 763-786-9024. He is booked out a ways but is well worth the wait. Ask for Sue. She will be able to help you.

LIN

It sounds like a mass response to all people inquiring about scars. This guy most likely never looked at your pics if you sent them. You need a real life consult anyway to really know what is going on with someone's skin. I'd run....fast.

Well John, Could be genuine. Have you checked on the reputation of this doc.? I don't see why they'd try to fool you into having dermabrasion just to make $$$, when they specifically say lasers will not work, and lasers are easier and can be the same cost as a dermabrasion. You were also specific as to type of scar you have, so they may have taken that into account when responding, even though their response does not mention it.

Hard to say for sure John. But from the posts on this message board, ect the procedures mentioned do seem like the ones that are yielding results.

One thing I'm always leary about during consults is that the Dr. tell you what you need to do, non ablative laser, peels, laser, ect. AND it happens to be the same machines and procedures he does. How convienent for the doctor. :think:

That's a good point, though maybe he does those procedures because he thinks they work the best...sometimes, anyway, in a better world.

I'm just really confused about the dermabrasion issue. I mean, will it work or not for deep scars? It doesn't really seem plausible. So, where is the cut-off line as far as depth of scar is concerned? I guess these are questions I would ask a professional if I could find one.

I've never seen the like of this plastic surgery field. Every "expert" I talk to has a different opinion. It's strange that there hasn't been some concensus reached out there. I mean, how can one doctor say "lasers will do nothing to improve acne scarring" and another doctor with similar training say that lasers might be the right solution to my problem. Plastic surgeons should form a committee or something to present their experience and evidence and argue and share their ideas until they come to some recommended treatment methods that actually work.

Think about it john before you make any decisions because dermabrasion is one of the most invasive procedures and also it really doesnt seem plausible due to the fact you have deep indented scars think about how far can dermabrasion actually go.. Deep enough? not trying to sway you away from it but me personally I've had a bad experience from it. Now if you had more shallow or rolling type scars it would make more sense but indents I would look more in to needling or subcision... think about it wouldnt he have to shave down the surrounding skin enough to make it blend in.

Yeah, that's what I think. I would have no skin left on me in the end. I mean, there would be benefits to this. For instance, I would no longer have to wear a halloween costume...