Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm starting over again on not picking. I made it through Day 1 (yesterday) of no picking. Today is Day 2, and I'm doing great so far. :) I've tried so many other times to quit, and the longest I've gone is 5 days. But this time i seriously want to stop. It has caused me so much emotional pain and i want that to be over. I want to be free of this compulsion. I want my skin to be free of ugly marks from picking.

The regimen is starting to clear me up and I don't want to screw that up with picking. It never helps and it's just not worth those few seconds of pleasure you get.

I'm ready to get rid of skin picking forever!!!

I made an account on habitforge.com and it emails me everyday and asks me "Did you succeed on not picking yesterday?" It says it takes 21 days to form or break a habit, which probably isn't true for me, but if it does, i have 20 days to go!

I try to keep my hands busy (silly putty, doing my nails, playing piano, etc.)

I've been avoiding mirrors. I try to only look in then when I'm brushing my teeth of washing my face or applying anything.

Basically, whenever I have the urge to pick, I do something else like making a fist or just leaving the room.

So yeah, wish me luck on this!! ;) Hopefully this time will be different from the other times I've tried quitting!

Any more tips for me?

Edited by loveNlipgloss

You sound like me the first time (and second and third and fourth and fifth) time i decided to stop picking. Youre hoping for the magic bullet...something that will take the urge away from you and you wont find the need to pick anymore. you want to be cold-turkey cured. I hate to tell you this, but youre not going to find it. No amount of gloves or rubber band snapping, or hiding your mirrors, or playing with silly putty is going to stop you from picking until YOU are ready to stop picking. Ive definitely learned that from experience.

I tried to quit countless times in the past almost 3 years. It never worked. I always backslid into picking and I couldn't understand why. I simply wasnt mentally ready to be done with this disease. I was holding onto it out of fear and uncertainty and it always came back. 23 days ago, I became ready, and I stopped picking for good. I am done with it forever now, but it took a big mental shift to get there

here is the advice I can offer you:

to prepare yourself mentally to stop

-journaling (online AND on paper. more things will spill out on your paper than here). try sitting down for AT LEAST an hour and writing down your thoughts and feelings about acne and picking and how it all affects your life. why do you think you do it? why dont you think you can stop?

-therapy. especially helpful if your picking is connected to anxiety or OCD. but it also helps you deal with any feelings that cause you to pick

-meditation. some great guided meditations can be found at meditationoasis.com

-stoppickingonme.com. I read the book on that site at least three times before I actually stopped picking. It didnt work for me until I joined their forums and started attending their chatroom meetings. they have a OSPA support group--a 12 step program for pickers which you may find helpful

-learn to forgive. forgive whoever got you in to picking. forgive anyone who has ever shamed you about your skin. forgive yourself for treating your skin badly. Write a letter to all of the people associated with your picking (including yourself). Start by getting the anger out, detailing how this person has hurt you. if they didnt mean to do it, write about that next. if they did mean to hurt you, write about how youre above that and dont need to accept that in your life. finally, forgive. its the only way to move on

-Stop OBSESSING about your skin! that means searching the internet and reading these message boards all day in search of a new cure. constantly trying new products in hopes that this will be the one to cure you. stop checking your face every time you pass a mirror. stop covering it up with makeup. if someone is uncomfortable with your skin, its their shame not yours. stop thinking about your skin every single second, and maybe it wont matter if you have a zit or two. and those blackheads? nobody can see them unless they are 5cm from your face. Stop caring (I am still working through this part)

these are only the things that led me to the mental state in which I was ready to be free from picking. they may not work for you, or you might have additional things you need to do. but you need to reach that state where you are truly ready deep within your heart to stop picking your skin.

while you are on your journey to that mental state, here are a few more things you can do:

-take care of yourself as a whole. You are not just your skin! eat well, get exercise, take relaxing baths, drink a soothing cup of tea...take care of yourself as a whole person. you deserve it.

-bandage your zits. put a little neosporin or manuka honey on your pimples and cover them with bandaids so you cant pick. if someone asks, say you burned yourself with a straightener/curling iron. This got me through my first week of no picking, then I was able to stop and just not pick.

Finally, I encourage you to keep this one thread instead of starting a new one every time you pick. you have to chart your successes AND your failures. you cant expect to go cold turkey right away. if you want to pick, set a timer for 3 minutes and when it goes off, STOP. gradually decrease the time. or, let yourself get one zit a day until you hit the correct mental state where you are read to stop cold turkey no more picking for good. you will get there, but you have to fight for it.

good luck and any questions you have, ask away!

-Taylor

I'm 4 days pick free and my skin is glowing!! I have 2 pimples that are at a whitehead, and honestly don't want to pop them! I've been doing some research and its definitely better to not pop it. your body needs to take care of it. i just put some Neosporin on it and a band aid at night and it helps speed up the process. i still have some scabs from picking but they're healing.

I'm not saying that I'm already "healed" of this habit but i think I'm going to beat it. i still scan by skin for bumps but I'm getting better at pulling away. I have to remind myself that those bumps will heal if i don't touch them.

So yeah, I'll keep posting here on my progress. :)

Way to go! I knew you could do it!

dont be surprised if you break out a little more than usual for the next week or two. Its just your body releasing all of that junk you used to keep squeezing back below the surface. Stay strong and dont pick and they will heal fast!

Its just all surfacing!! tis a good thing!!! don't do what i did! spots are so much better than sore scabs with more stuff under the skin that take ages to go away. keep it up!!!

Good luck!!!!!

Day 5!

thank god i made it past day 3. that was the day that i relapsed last time. i still keep scanning my skin; i need to get better at just pulling my hands away sooner! i used to pick at my cuticles, especially on my thumbs to the point that they were raw. for some reason, i just stopped. i knew that if i didnt want to be doing it till the day i die, then i might as well stop right now. if only it could be that easy for my face. but i dont just pick my face, i (used to) pick every single clogged pore or spot on my chest, back, shoulders and neck too.

i have so many clogged pores and blackheads (althought im probably the only one who notices them) and some i can just scratch off. but usually it starts bleeding and leaves a small red scab. before i do it i think "i just have to scratch this one clog off, its no big deal" but i know that is NOT true! i've done that a few times but i dont think its enough to have to start over. is it? i really need to be harder on myself! no picking, not even one little bump!

Edited by loveNlipgloss

DONT PICK! DO NOT PICK!!!!

you know what happens if you do? you just get another zit right there

if you dont pick? it heals. *YOU* heal!

treat yourself well, girl! Please please please dont pick tonight. Go do something you enjoy instead. you can do this!

thank you for all your support!

i didn't pick!! ok i squeezed one blackhead. but i pulled away after that. does that mean i have to start over? i dont think so :-/ i have to keep telling myself that the ONLY time i can ever touch my face is when im cleansing it or applying stuff. i just cant seem to get it in my head that my skin will heal if i dont touch it, can i?

Edited by loveNlipgloss

I did it again. I relapsed. I'm embarrased to even be writing this. How many times can I swear to never pick again, and then go back at it in a few days?? 5 days was the farthest i've ever gone. then i got really close to the mirror when i was cleansing it, and noticed a lot of clogged pores and starting picking.

it is even impossible for me to quit!? i mean i'm picking less than i use to, but how can i ever stop?

its like im afraid of perfection. i could have decent skin if i didnt pick, but even that wont motivate me.

taylorobvi:

how did you make it 25 days? i cant even make it 5! please give me some advice :confused:

perhaps you should do a journal entry about why you deserve to have clear skin. It takes convincing yourself doesnt it?

when I first quit, I realized that I was holding on to acne as a crutch. I am not very good at making friends, I often give up on my goals before I acheive them. I was blaming all the problems in my life on my skin. What if I suddenly had good skin again? if i still couldnt make friends or finish my goals, that would leave the blame on me. *I* would be the failure, not my skin. Its a tough pill to swallow! I was almost afraid to stop picking because even if its hell, I prefer the hell I know to the hell I don't expect. its hard to let go of that fear. try writing about it in more depth

I mean, I am nowhere near perfect :). I picked for 7 years. i tried to quit for the first time 3 years ago. but i relapsed, and relapsed, and relapsed, and relapsed, and relapsed again. over and over. I relapsed practically every DAY. and you know what? even though I'm 25 days pick free, I still find myself leaning in too close to the mirror and wanting to get out those blackheads. but I do believe I deserve better. thats my key.

this may be the hardest thing youll ever have to do. Believe that you are worth more. Believe that you deserve better. Allow yourself to jump into the unknown that lies ahead of you. it cant be worse than this, right? and at least youll have clear skin ;)

I am beginning to believe that us pickers are 'chosen' in a way to fight this. We are chosen because if we succeed, *everything* will be possible for us. we will know our true power. You were given this challenge so that you could become great!

so to sum up my long rambling post

-relapses happen. its okay. the more frustrated you get, the more you allow this disease to control you

-believe you are better and worth more than picking

-surrender to the uncertainties and fears you have about quitting. things will probably turn out better than you imagine. it can only go up from here right?

-this is a challenge to reveal to you your true strength. accept it and relish it!

YOUVE GOT THIS NOW! I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Day 1 again.

I didn't pick at all today. It seems like the first day is always the easiest. I guess I have the most motivation then. I didn't touch my skin that much either but i was pretty busy. So yeah, not much to say today. Wish me luck! ;)

I picked a clogged pore off (although that's nothing compared to what i usually do). does that mean i have to start over? now its bleeding... :(

i think i should start over at day 1. if i keep being so easy on myself and let myself pick a little, then i'll never learn my lesson. so tomorrow is officially day 1... again! now i know what you mean about relapsing every night, taylor.

Edited by loveNlipgloss

oh my god this is so hard!!! i squeezed like 5 spots this morning!!! i kept thinking "they're ready, it won't do any damage" but that's so not true! now i have 5 soon to be scabs!

sigh... setting the clock back to day 1

Isnt it tough? I had a mini relapse yesterday just one spot, but still. after 26 days! blah.

we can stick together and beat this though. we just have to stay positive

I've been relapsing a lot lately. :wall: I've been really stressed out.

So once I make it more than 1 or 2 days I'll start posting again!

Edited by loveNlipgloss

Don't feel bad, just read through my log, haha! I relapse practically every week!

I'm starting therapy on Thursday. Have you considered asking a doctor? Honestly, I don't think I'm strong enough to do this on my own... And with someone constantly checking up on me and monitoring the feelings that make me pick, well, I think that'll help me find the source of my compulsive behavior so I can stop. Do you think that would help you?

Honestly, it scares me when I start picking. Because I absolutely, no matter he hard I try, can not stop until I reach my goal (i.e., getting a blackhead or pus out of a pimple.) It consumes me in a way that is indescribable. I tend to pick the most before big events (new jobs, vacations, dances.) Is there a pattern to your picking? Mine is stress and/or an attempt to be perfect. It sounds like stress is a big factor with yours as well.

Take soothing baths and drink tea and read. Reading is my personal favorite stress reducer. Poetry I love as well.

You can beat this. You got to five days! That's amazing! And I know you can go even further than that!

thanks so much for your support! i relapsed today :( I'm just really stressed out right now because I've got a lot going on. so yeah, stress triggers my picking.

i don't know if i could ever bring myself to tell anyone. i tried to tell my friend and she's like "oh yeah i do that too sometimes. no big deal". so maybe in the future ill go to a doctor, i just don't have the guts for it now. sigh.. i feel like i could do this with the help of a professional. i just... cant. i don't know.

i think ill try the hot bath/drinking tea/reading before bed because nighttime is usually when i pick. i guess because at the beginning of the day im all like "ok i'm not going to pick today, i can do this." and at the end of the day i'm like "i'm so stressed out i just need to do this tonight. i can start over tomorrow" . then i feel like crap after.

how i feel when i pick is identical to you! it's like it just takes control of me!

its great you've reached out to a doctor for help. i know you can do this! good luck with your appointment! tell us about it after :)

ugh i just picked a several spots. and i had a pretty good day too and didn't pick till tonight. seems like nighttime is when i pick. i need to keep myself away from mirrors at night!

Edited by loveNlipgloss

Ok... today is day 1 again. i know, the last few days have been terrible and i've said this a million times but this time is different.. sorta.

i'm going to be really busy the next several days. i'm going on a trip with my family. i'll be in a hotel room with a couple other people so i'll have pretty much no privacy, except for the bathroom which i cant stay in forever. so i can't pick there!

so if i can make it till friday (when i leave) then i wont be able to pick for 3 days! so then when i get back on sunday i'll be 5 days pick free!

5 days is where i left off last time so i gotta stay strong and make it past that. ive noticed that when i wasn't picking for 5 days, i only had 1 or 2 pimples. now that i've been picking again, i've got live 5 few pimples right where i picked. that ought to teach me a lesson!

wish me luck!

You change your regimen so much, girl!

Best of luck on your trip. That sounds like the perfect opportunity to start at day one again. :D

You change your regimen so much, girl!

Best of luck on your trip. That sounds like the perfect opportunity to start at day one again. :D

lol i know, i'm kind of a perfectionist :) if only i was a perfectionist with not picking....

Edited by loveNlipgloss

lol being a perfectionist is probably what made you start picking in the first place, wanting to get out all those things that "dont belong" in your skin.

a lot of us pickers are perfectionists. myself included.

good luck on your trip!