Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sheldon258

Please answer my simple questions... I cant buy online so I need a good alternitve to Benzoyl 2.5% in the UK

I'm 15 and with every year that's went by my spots have gone much worse, I get large spots and I have acne. I get Whiteheads, Boils, Cold sores (although not related to this its still a spot on your faces) and blackheads and it really knocks my confidence. I found this website and have looked through the galleries and have found people who have had it much worse than me but after seeing most of your results its turned out amazing. But long story short, I want them gone because I have tried everything. All I do is wash my face with a gentle exfoliating wash, twice a day. Obviously I need to do more.

I am using Neutrogena visibly clear gentle exfoliating wash. I have Nivea soft moisturizing cream with Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E but I don't use it because I have always had the idea that moisturizer gives you spots ? But I'm struggling with the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide theres a large tub on the webside that seems perfect but me being my age, I dont have a credit card so I need to buy instores in the UK. Theres another option there but it seems to exspensive and too small.

So Please help me... my confidence is low.

I cant buy online so I need a good alternitve to Benzoyl 2.5% in the UK

Hi,

I'm in the UK also. You say you can't buy online as no credit card? - I was going to say that you can get PanOxyl 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel from UK chemists online and it is only a couple of quid. (I got some from www.chemistdirect.co.uk). It is a fairly small tube (40g) but should last a while and like i say I think it only cost around 2 pounds. Maybe a nice relative with a credit card could hook you up?

Otherwise your best bet might be to ask your GP- as you are only 15 you wont have to pay for your prescriptions and they can prescribe you the 2.5% cream/gel.

You can buy products containing BP from chemists like Boots (e.g Oxy on the spot-I think they do a 2.5% (also 5% and 10%) but it is a smaller tube (20g) and more expensive (4-5pounds). Otherwise you can ask the pharmacist in boots/your local chemist what they have with BP that you can buy over the counter.

Once you start using the BP you will find you need a moisturiser as it does dry your skin out. I always found Nivea too clogging for me. You want something nice and simple that doesn't clog your pores. If you manage to find a nice relative to help you out and decide to get the Panoxyl from chemistdirect- have a look on their website for a product called Cetaphil (moisturising lotion and/or cleanser). I haven't found anywhere else in the UK that sells it but all the Americans say it is the best. I started using it last week and think it is great-it helps keep your skin's natural balance.

Hope that helps-good luck

Yeah you definitely need a moisturizer, it actually can help you from breaking out. Cetaphil and CeraVe are good for simple good moisturizers. I unfortunately don't know what BP options you have in the UK. Is the exfoliating wash really gentle or kind of gentle? You don't want to exfoliate too mcuh. :) Hope this helps a bit.

Hi,

I'm in the UK also. You say you can't buy online as no credit card? - I was going to say that you can get PanOxyl 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel from UK chemists online and it is only a couple of quid. (I got some from www.chemistdirect.co.uk). It is a fairly small tube (40g) but should last a while and like i say I think it only cost around 2 pounds. Maybe a nice relative with a credit card could hook you up?

Otherwise your best bet might be to ask your GP- as you are only 15 you wont have to pay for your prescriptions and they can prescribe you the 2.5% cream/gel.

You can buy products containing BP from chemists like Boots (e.g Oxy on the spot-I think they do a 2.5% (also 5% and 10%) but it is a smaller tube (20g) and more expensive (4-5pounds). Otherwise you can ask the pharmacist in boots/your local chemist what they have with BP that you can buy over the counter.

Once you start using the BP you will find you need a moisturiser as it does dry your skin out. I always found Nivea too clogging for me. You want something nice and simple that doesn't clog your pores. If you manage to find a nice relative to help you out and decide to get the Panoxyl from chemistdirect- have a look on their website for a product called Cetaphil (moisturising lotion and/or cleanser). I haven't found anywhere else in the UK that sells it but all the Americans say it is the best. I started using it last week and think it is great-it helps keep your skin's natural balance.

Hope that helps-good luck

Thanks for your help and do you have any links of that Oky Gel? Just so I know what the tube looks like so i can find it haha. But cant you buy panaoxyl from chemists ? I heard you can ?

Not sure if you can just buy PanOxyl from the chemist-like I say I got mine online. When I searched for chemists online it looks like you need a prescription to get it from Boots etc. But like I suggested maybe if you ask the pharmacist they might sell some over the counter without a prescription in the store. If I was your age I would just go to the doctor as then it will be free!

I've not used the Oxy myself but found a couple of links-the boxes seem to be slightly different colours so not sure which is the up to date one-see what they have in your local chemist and if in doubt ask the chemist for help.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/oxy-on-the-spot_1_4157.html

http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/OXY+ON+THE+SPOT+CREAM

PanOxyl is much cheaper so if they have that then I would get that instead of Oxy!

I went to boots today, I got a good sized tube of that Panoxyl for £3.10 they didn't sell any of that Clean and Clear Foam that was on Dans Recommened list. So I got Witch Oil Control Foaming Face Wash and Simple Spotless anti blemish moisturiser (ive heard good things). Will these work the same ? Also the hardest part was finding a decent face wash and moisturiser rather than the BP=P

and thanks bex_cogent=)

So will the creams and foams I bought still work ? And how many times a day do I do this ? Once on a nightime ?

I'd use the face wash once in the morning and once in the evening. I'd try applying the BP once a day at first. If you can build yourself up to an application in the morning and one in the evening, then go for it. I know some BPs can dry and leave a residue though, so check that you don't go out the house with a load of white dust over your face!

If it doesn't help, then I suggest going to your doctor for some advice.

i have to say that panoxyl is very very aggressive...even as the 2.5% aquagel version. i only used a little and my face was so red, dry and flakey that i had to moisturise it 15times a day (i´m not kidding!) to get the dryness out...

because of this i changed to "oxy on the spot" 2.5% creme.

i can use the full regime amount with oxy and only need to moisturise twice a day after bpo.

it is much more gentle...

so i would suggest that if you start with dans regimen use "oxy on the spot"...after a while your skin might be used to bpo and you can get the cheaper and easier to apply gel of panoxyl.

to show you the difference:

this is with panoxyl (even with lots and lots of jojoba oil and moisturiser)

post-140107-1288718325_thumb.jpg

and this is only 1 (!!!) day after i have changed from panoxyl to oxy on the spot:

post-140107-1288718338_thumb.jpg

so i can only strongly recommend for the start "oxy on the spot": i must say that panoxyl clears the acne away very well but leaves you with very irritated skin at the beginning. i will use it after a couple of weeks again as i think my face might have adjusted to bpo and i can try the much cheaper and easier to apply panoxyl gel again...

i don´t say that panoxyl is a bad product (as it does clear ups the skin) but it is a too strong product for the start (i know that now :redface: )

so it might be best to use oxy on the spot for the first 4 weeks to get your skin used to the regimen and to clear up and then slightly change to panoxyl...for the safer and cheaper option.

post-140107-1288718325_thumb.jpg

post-140107-1288718338_thumb.jpg