Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yvieve

Questions About What I Should Do With Dan's Regimen?

So currently I'm using all products from Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy System.

It worked well on my nose at first, but new ones formed, so then I started upping the BP like Dan says should be done, since I've been using it for three weeks.

My skin is looking good, but I'm noticing extreme stiffness before I apply boatloads of Vitamin E cream, and I'm seeing redness in places and dry flakiness that ads to the bad appearance of my skin.

It makes my skin look lumpy, period.

So right now the wash I'm using has Salicylic acid in it as well as 3 ingredients similar to Dan's wash,.

Then, I have another wash from Good For You Girls which contains only natural things, like natural fruit extracts, jojoba wax (in the tiny exfoliating beads), water (duh), gylcerin and other natural stuff.

So, since that is very gentle, should I be using that instead of the Salicylic/BP combination?

What do you think?

EDIT:

Oh, if I use the GFYG wash, I'll still use the BP. Duh!

Edited by Yvieve

I'm not too familiar with Dan's "Recommended Products" page, but all of those products sound like they're not really FOR the regimen. I've heard before that salicylic acid shouldn't be used with BP because it's very irritating. I know that Dan used to offer a salicylic acne alternative to BP, but he's not making it anymore because BP is superior to salicylic acid.

I'm also not familiar with Neutrogena's Acne System. Dan's BP is, in my opinion, a lot better than Neutrogena On The Spot Benzoyl Peroxide. Not sure if NOTS is included in the kit; if not, I'm really not sure you're following the regimen at all.

Well, the BP shares nearly all ingredients with Dan's BP, and I'm moisturizing afterward, and just because I'm not using the exact same products (or the recommended ones) as a lot of people say on the forums, it doesn't mean I'm not following the regimen.

Cleanse, BP, moisturize.

That's what I see on the regimen step-by-step process, and I'm following that.

He didn't specify that It will not work without his products, otherwise I wouldn't be following it. I'd think it was crap designed to just simply sell products, but I really like this website because of that fact.

You don't have to use any of Dan's products if you don't want to. I only use his BP because I like it better than NOTS. But I do know that the reason he designed the "Recommended Products" page is to give a list of cleansers, BP, and moisturizers that work the best on the regimen. Just because you're washing your face, applying BP, and putting lotion on doesn't mean you're really doing the regimen how it was designed to be used. The regimen is based on gentle cleansers and fragrance-free, dye-free moisturizing and lots of straight 2.5% BP. I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser because it's really gentle. If I used the salycilic acid wash you use, I'd probably be breaking out too.

Just trying to help out. But if you feel like the products you're using are great, than keep using them. I'm just saying that maybe you should take a look at the recommended products page, take a look at the products you're using, how gentle you're being, and than figure out what's best for your skin.

Kat Kerfuffle's right. The Regimen calls for a gentle, non-medicated cleanser. In fact, this is what the FAQs have to say about Salicylic Acid:

Q: Can I use salicylic acid with the Regimen?

A: The jury is still out. The majority of medical books I scoured for acne medication information specifically warn against the combination of salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide, calling it "overly irritating". Several people on the Regimen have noted this. This warning is echoed when combining benzoyl peroxide with several other acne medications as well, resorcinol and sulfur to name two. Remember, irritation aggravates breakouts.

However, some Acne.org members have used salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide successfully. If you want to try this, first use the Regimen without salicylic acid until you are completely clear. Then, feel free to add in one variable at a time such as the addition of salicylic acid.

So currently I'm using all products from Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy System.

It worked well on my nose at first, but new ones formed, so then I started upping the BP like Dan says should be done, since I've been using it for three weeks.

My skin is looking good, but I'm noticing extreme stiffness before I apply boatloads of Vitamin E cream, and I'm seeing redness in places and dry flakiness that ads to the bad appearance of my skin.

It makes my skin look lumpy, period.

So right now the wash I'm using has Salicylic acid in it as well as 3 ingredients similar to Dan's wash,.

Then, I have another wash from Good For You Girls which contains only natural things, like natural fruit extracts, jojoba wax (in the tiny exfoliating beads), water (duh), gylcerin and other natural stuff.

So, since that is very gentle, should I be using that instead of the Salicylic/BP combination?

What do you think?

EDIT:

Oh, if I use the GFYG wash, I'll still use the BP. Duh!

Redness, dryness and stiffness is normal when first starting out however you need to follow to the letter. I would suggest you used the EXACT products recommend otherwise you are fighting a losing battle.