Notifications
Clear all

Can seb derm present itself as weird whiteheads?

MemberMember
(@someguy238)

Posted : 07/28/2010 12:13 pm

My dermatologist's resident recently recommended to me that I let my condition flare-up so that they could re-diagnose it. However, before they could get me in the actual dermatologist called and put and end to it.

While letting my condition flare up, though, I discovered that it actually looks a lot different from what it used to. Basically, while there is still a lot of inflamed skin and some diffuse redness, the bulk of the irritation seems to stem from little red rashes which, upon close inspection, are whiteheads. They look like miniature white heads but they DO NOT pop or act like acne in any way. If I use protopic ointment they go away (although I think I'm allergic to protopic as I get a giant rash the following morning) and I've never really let it flare up this much to see what my skin looks like now, I always kill it off when it first starts to bother me.

So... is this seb derm? When I was diagnosed with it a year ago my skin did not seem to have these whiteheads, and was instead flakey and scaley, but it no longer appears like that. Could this be something else, like folliculitis? Or are those whiteheads still a part of seb derm?

MemberMember
(@shantelle)

Posted : 07/28/2010 6:25 pm

My dermatologist's resident recently recommended to me that I let my condition flare-up so that they could re-diagnose it. However, before they could get me in the actual dermatologist called and put and end to it.

While letting my condition flare up, though, I discovered that it actually looks a lot different from what it used to. Basically, while there is still a lot of inflamed skin and some diffuse redness, the bulk of the irritation seems to stem from little red rashes which, upon close inspection, are whiteheads. They look like miniature white heads but they DO NOT pop or act like acne in any way. If I use protopic ointment they go away (although I think I'm allergic to protopic as I get a giant rash the following morning) and I've never really let it flare up this much to see what my skin looks like now, I always kill it off when it first starts to bother me.

So... is this seb derm? When I was diagnosed with it a year ago my skin did not seem to have these whiteheads, and was instead flakey and scaley, but it no longer appears like that. Could this be something else, like folliculitis? Or are those whiteheads still a part of seb derm?

It definetly could be Seb Derm. When i first got SD i couldn't work out why only the oily parts on my skin were breaking out into tons of tiny, tiny whiteheads (pin-point size) with redness around each one. I thought at first that it was reg acne being wierd as oil was comming back after Accutane. Turns out it was Seb Dermatitis. Derm treated me with topical broad spectrum anti-fungal cream miconazole, and oral Sporonax. I reakon see your GP and discuss whether trying try an anti-fungal cream would be a good idea... if they reakon SD, make sure you get a cream which kills multiple types fungus (SD acnes are caused by fungus). You can get these creams from the chemist. If things don't improve in two weeks i dout it's SD. Make sure to use sparingly as it can cause redness in people with very sensitive skin.

MemberMember
(@someguy238)

Posted : 07/28/2010 6:56 pm

Is your seb derm controlled now? It's been a nightmare trying to deal with this over the past year (I also got it after accutane btw).

I tried ketaconazole but it did absolutely nothing for me. Currently I use the protopic every 7-10 days when I get the flare-up, and it takes 2-3 full days of diligent protopic use to get it to subside. I'll inquire about miconazole and sporonax, though.

MemberMember
(@shantelle)

Posted : 07/28/2010 7:31 pm

Is your seb derm controlled now? It's been a nightmare trying to deal with this over the past year (I also got it after accutane btw).

I tried ketaconazole but it did absolutely nothing for me. Currently I use the protopic every 7-10 days when I get the flare-up, and it takes 2-3 full days of diligent protopic use to get it to subside. I'll inquire about miconazole and sporonax, though.

Hmmm. I would have thought Ketaconazole would have helped, even if just a little bit. Mind you, SD if almost impossible to shift- funguses are extremely resistant.

Yeah definetly discuss those treatments I mentioned with you GP or Derm. (Unfortunetly I don't have any experience with protopics). Maybe also look into Probiotics (good bacteria help keep yeast controlled in body)- i'm not sure if this helped in the process of solving my SD but it could have had a good role in it?? Also, read up on the raw honey / coconut recommendation on http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/ Some people have tried this out and had good luck.

Best wishes, Shantelle

MemberMember
(@omarion123)

Posted : 05/23/2013 9:29 pm

Not specifically related. Just thought that i would share what i have currently been utlizing. Ive had seb derm for about 5 months now . I have it on the sides of my nose and upper cheek bones. What is working for me, ( I just recently started trouble shooting my issue) and i am not sure if it is one more than the others because i started doing them together, but i take caprylic acid sovereing silver and aveeno 1% hydrocortisone. I am now what i would call 85% over it (knock on wood). The aveeno hydrocortisone i could only take for a week so i stopped taking that but still taking the two supplements and again this is the best that my skin has looked. I still have a bit on the left side of my nose and cheek so im wondering if its worth using more cream but i dont want to over do it so i am just going to try taking the supplements and keeping my skin hydrated. I will report back later. Hope this helps someone :)