Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotglue01

Sweat, the Regimen and Redness/Dryness?

Hey guys!

Well, it's officially SUMMER, which is awesome, especially since I am clear enough to go swimming and go without makeup and not be humiliated after! My skin isn't perfect yet, but it really is getting damn close. My redmarks are fading every day, and they will be gone super soon! It's like the AHA is just kicking in now after a solid month of nightly use. Seriously, I had to HUNT for them this morning...!!!!!!

But anyway:

The past week my skin has gone from being a little dry and red around my mouth, which is not going away for good and has been here for the whole time (I've been on the Regimen almost 11 full weeks), to being dry all along my forehead as well. I have tried jojoba oil masking it, slathering on like an INCH of Cetaphil, and even Vaseline at night, but nothing is getting rid of this. I have cut back a lot on my BP the past few days to about a pea size for my whole face and am just wondering if the following variables are factors in this new dryness:

-I have been sweating A LOT lately (it is almost 100 degrees here day and night, and even hotter in my apartment), and whenever I sweat it burns pretty bad.

-It's super hot and humid here, though I doubt that's the reason (in fact, my skin is actually oily in places too from the humidity)

-Um... swimming in the ocean from time to time?

-Going to the hot springs? (But I always found that they helped my dry skin, particularly the sauna)

Are there any tips? I see a LOT of people on these boards who complain of constant dryness, and while I am loving the clear skin, the dryness is starting to really get on my nerves. As a note, it's a leathery, red kind of dryness (i.e. no flakes).

Also, does sweating the amount that I do affect the Regimen at all? Am I sweating it out?

are you staying hydrated? drinking lots of water or just drinking a lot in general can do a lot for the moisturizing of your skin, and keeping everything moist and non-dry.

I think the ocean can dry out your skin if you don't moisturize afterwards.

Have you tried Dan's AHA+ (or another AHA product) as a moisturizer? It works really well for some people (including me).

Hey guys,

Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

Rawlin: Good call on staying hydrated. I'll try my best to drink more and more water, which I haven't been doing enough of lately consdering how hot it has been/how much water I am sweating out.

Greentiger: Yup, I use AHA nightly. It helps a lot with flakes (I haven't been flakey in a month or so, which is about how long I have been using it nightly), yet I keep going through phases of this red, leathery skin.

I also read on these boards that moisterizing several times a day is not necessarily a good thing, given all the added irritation and stuff. That's a good call and something I hadn't considered, but at the same time there are patches of my skin that are SO DRY and pink. I do jojoba twice a day and AHA nightly, and I use only recommended products, so what else can I do differently? Continue to cut back on the BP until this is gone?

BUMP! Realllllly desperate to get rid of the dry skin, it literally feels like leather!

Update: I haven't used nearly the full amount of BP in a few days, and it's not really getting better. What the hell?!

Hey, Jill. Congrats on being clear! Dry skin sucks, however, and I know EXACTLY what you mean by the "leathery" skin feel. Ever since I moved into my new house, I've been having problems with dryness and the leather feeling too and have pretty much figured out that it is in fact the water I'm using. We installed a water softener, which has helped with the flaking a good deal but I still have a bit of a leathery feel to my skin (something I've never had before).

I figured out (well, probably have figured it out) that it may in fact be the chlorine in the water here. In my house in New Jersey we had no chlorinator (sp?) set up. However, where I live now, we run a business from our house so Health Department guidelines say we have to have a chlorinator. I'm assuming the bleach in the water is what is making my skin so leathery feeling. The same could be going for you. Good news though. I just looked online and they actually sell showerheads that filter chlorine. Found one for $50 in Bed, Bath, and Beyond. So I'm going to see if I can pick it up and I will let you know when I get it and try it and see if that's what the problem is.

If that's not it, the other thing I am thinking that possibly you are doing too much exfoliating? I know there is such a thing as over-exfoliating which will, who knows why, cause more dryness and a leathery feel to your skin. Jojoba oil is always good to use, but using AHA (especially Dan's since it's a bit more potent than others) every night might be to blame. This is me guessing though, so I'm not sure if that's exactly it. To be honest with you, I'm more leaning towards the water you're using. I do know chlorine dries out your skin and hair; look at the damage to peoples hair when they swim regularly!

I'm also a bit concerned that you're using such little Benzoyl Peroxide. I don't think it's the BP to blame specifically and I'm afraid if you continue taking away more and more of the amount of BP you're using, you're going to start breaking out again..which would suck since it sounds like your face is basically pimple-free.

Like I said, I'm going to try to find the chlorine filtering showerhead and if I find it and buy it, I'll let you know how it works for me! Hope this helped!