Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greentiger87

Phytase supplementation

I can't imagine that oral supplementation would be efficacious. Or if phytic acid is really the enemy even. I am still unsure as to whether phytic acid binds and steals minerals from your body, or if it only is bound with the minerals in the food, and merely prevents you from absorbing it.

I am more intrigued by the idea of adding it to soaking water than taking it orally.

so phytase is an enzyme that breaks down phytic acid and can release minerals from food with high phytic acid content. And supposedly our bodys do not make this enzyme.

you propose that supplementing with phytase (ahhemm...unnaturally) will allow you to derive more nutritive value from certain grains and beans.

you propose this may have some benefit on acne and you want to know our opinions as to how likely any of this is to be true or beneficial.

Ok, in my opinion its another grandiose man made effort to improve upon nature, assuming we can or should do that, and sometimes we can, but more often we cannot and more tinkering leads to more new undiscovered, undesireable effects of our actions to interfere with god's design which takes so long to fully understand. I say, this would be a waste of time, but then again i may not understand it fully, thats just what i think right now.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

so phytase is an enzyme that breaks down phytic acid and can release minerals from food with high phytic acid content. And supposedly our bodys do not make this enzyme.

you propose that supplementing with phytase (ahhemm...unnaturally) will allow you to derive more nutritive value from certain grains and beans.

you propose this may have some benefit on acne and you want to know our opinions as to how likely any of this is to be true or beneficial.

Ok, in my opinion its another grandiose man made effort to improve upon nature, assuming we can or should do that, and sometimes we can, but more often we cannot and more tinkering leads to more new undiscovered, undesireable effects of our actions to interfere with god's design which takes so long to fully understand. I say, this would be a waste of time, but then again i may not understand it fully, thats just what i think right now.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I agree Auto, this is probably a waste of time (though I don't think there's anything remotely perfect about our design). Fermentation and soaking have lots of other functions too, so it's a good idea even if the phytic acid problem is solved. But the fact of the matter is, nutrition on a public policy level, and even the individual level, is all about convenience. Even if it's not ideal, if phytase supplementation could do something.. maybe its worth at least looking into.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I agree Auto, this is probably a waste of time (though I don't think there's anything remotely perfect about our design). Fermentation and soaking have lots of other functions too, so it's a good idea even if the phytic acid problem is solved. But the fact of the matter is, nutrition on a public policy level, and even the individual level, is all about convenience. Even if it's not ideal, if phytase supplementation could do something.. maybe its worth at least looking into.

God makes mistakes no doubt, we are not perfect, but when i say gods design, i mean precisely what science aims to fully understand, which we do not yet.

there is theory/hypothesis, then there is science and ultimate reality. I suppose these days i would prefer to err on the non-experimental side. Of course i doubt there is little danger in supplementing with phytase, then again i cant claim to know anything about its effects, without some sort of documentation if it exists. We must consider that some of the unknown and undesirable effects, may not be reversible, as much as we are optimists, some changes are permanant. If we had some pigs or mice, perhaps do the experimenting on them first, unless there is a high probability that this experiment will cure you for a while, there is little potential reward, with unknown risks.

I now veiw even vitamin supplementation as one big experiment, as we may still not fully understand all the intricacies of nutrient absorbtion. I switched to all organically grown foods,which have been documented to contain 25% more minerals and vitamins then commercially grown foods. The only supps i would consider is albion chelates, vitamin d and k.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980