Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oiler

Glutathione. try it and see if it makes your face dry

You guys may have seen my posts on this forum.

My face is a sebum-producing factory. My T-zone oozes oil and you can see small droplets of oil form within 15 minutes after a gentle facial washing.

Well, I probably read every thread on this forum and tried everything that has worked for others in reducing their sebum output. By now, you should know that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for the next person. With that said, I ran into this thread on glutathione here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Glutathio...me-t187347.html

and decided to give it a try as well. I did not have high hopes since I have never succeeded in reducing my sebum production with products that have worked for others.

Anyway, I started taking 1000mg of glutathione, one 500mg in the morning with breakfast and one 500mg with dinner. I'm on my 3rd day and I can feel my face quite dry in certain areas.

No it did not reduce my oil production as much as I hoped. My T-zone still oozes oil and the droplets form. However, I think it is better than before. Other areas, such as my cheeks and around the mouth, are quite dry to a point that I actually have to apply moisturizer. One GREAT thing I noticed is that on any given day, I would get about one to three pimples, with one being a deep painful cyst. Since I have started taking it, I only got one zit and it's not as robust...it's actually quite small in size as if the semi-solid sebum particle inside have started to dry up as soon as it came into being. i am quite surprised how fast my non-t-zone have gone dry...I expected it to take more time for me to see results but the dryness came quite quick.

Once again, what works for one person does not necessarily work for someone else. Everyone is very different. However, I would give glutathione a shot if nothing has worked for you so far. We all know that if you're a regular in this sub-forum, you would try ANYTHING to reduce your oiliness. I hope you have similar results. I'm not fully satisfied, but glutathione appears to have some result and I an hoping it would get better as the days go by with me playing around with the dosage.

If your grease production is not as bad as mine, it may just work out for you perfectly...if you respond to glutathione like the way I did.

thanx for reading and GOOD LUCK

Does msm do the same thing?

The key thing to understand is that everyone reacts differently to things.

I took MSM after reading the thread about it decreasing sebum production.

It did absolutely nothing for me in terms of controlling sebum. it did however, make my finger nails grow much faster.

Niacin also did nothing for me.

Edited by Oiler

Day 5 update:

T-zone is still quite oily. However, it's a huge improvement. Before, I could see sebum oozing at the pores in about 15-20 minutes on my nose after a through wash. Now, I would say i can see the droplets in about 30 minutes.

Rest of my face is very dry. Decrease in oil production is quite noticeable, especially around the mouth and the chin area. Skin is actually feeling leathery and I have to use a lot of moisturizer (matte finish of course) here.

I have been taking a 500mg pill in the morning and another one at dinner. I think I'm going to halve the dosage to mitigate the dryness around my mouth. Since 1000 mg a day is still not doing much for my T-zone, I'd rather go for a less oily but not leathery non T-zone.

Once again, you should know by now that everyone reacts DIFFERENTLY to different things.

Glutathione may NOT work for you. However, you've probably tried everything else, so why not give it a shot.

Edited by Oiler

I suggest that you not waste any more money on glutathione supplements. The stuff is very poorly absorbed orally. It's just a simple tripeptide, so it's digested pretty much like a very expensive steak! :)

bryan,

I'm very surprised to here this from you of all people. Really expected better.

I spent a lot of $$$$ trying all sorts of different remedies, and this "waste of money" has done more for my oily skin than accutane, with almost immediate results.

After going through dozens of supposed remedies with no results, I doubt that what I'm experiencing is a placebo effect. You can say whatever you want after reading some articles on-line but let me tell you first hand that if my body was not absorbing any of this, my skin would not be getting leathery and peeling.

Sorry but i'm not going to listen to your suggestion. heck I just ordered another bottle!

bryan,

I'm very surprised to here this from you of all people. Really expected better.

I spent a lot of $$$$ trying all sorts of different remedies, and this "waste of money" has done more for my oily skin than accutane, with almost immediate results.

After going through dozens of supposed remedies with no results, I doubt that what I'm experiencing is a placebo effect. You can say whatever you want after reading some articles on-line but let me tell you first hand that if my body was not absorbing any of this, my skin would not be getting leathery and peeling.

Sorry but i'm not going to listen to your suggestion. heck I just ordered another bottle!

Brian is a pretty negative user from what I can tell, updates?

Yes I am very interested in this as well. Can you please update. How oily is your skin and how much of a reduction have you noticed?

When you was your face how long before you are oily again. How long can you go before you face is full of oil? Thanks.

Sorry to disappoint you guys but it's been a week and the difference is not as dramatic as when I first started.

My T-zone has become as oily as ever, meaning you can start seeing the oil droplets form about 15-20 minutes after a washing. Other areas are not as dry like before either.

One good thing though is that the new zits I get shrivel up real fast. Before, once it forms it would be all swelled up and take forever to disappear unless I popped them. But now the nasty semi-solid sebum dries up very fast and turns completely solid. It then starts to poke out from my huge pores (year sort of nasty) and eventually falls off.

Even though it doesn't appear to help so much with my oiliness, it must be affecting sebum production because the sebum inside a newly formed zit dries up faster than i have ever though possible. No more cysts lasting for weeks. I guess its not a complete disappointment.

It's only been a week. I'm going to keep using it and see what happens. Even though I am still oily, I definitely have less zits now...no reddish swollen zits.

Sorry to disappoint you guys but it's been a week and the difference is not as dramatic as when I first started.

My T-zone has become as oily as ever, meaning you can start seeing the oil droplets form about 15-20 minutes after a washing. Other areas are not as dry like before either.

One good thing though is that the new zits I get shrivel up real fast. Before, once it forms it would be all swelled up and take forever to disappear unless I popped them. But now the nasty semi-solid sebum dries up very fast and turns completely solid. It then starts to poke out from my huge pores (year sort of nasty) and eventually falls off.

Even though it doesn't appear to help so much with my oiliness, it must be affecting sebum production because the sebum inside a newly formed zit dries up faster than i have ever though possible. No more cysts lasting for weeks. I guess its not a complete disappointment.

It's only been a week. I'm going to keep using it and see what happens. Even though I am still oily, I definitely have less zits now...no reddish swollen zits.

You said you were lowering your dosage, did you do so? and if so could that play a role in the sebum returning?

You said you were lowering your dosage, did you do so? and if so could that play a role in the sebum returning?

I decided to stay with 1000mg per day. As I stated, the sebum reduction isn't noticeable, but the nasty sebum buildup inside my clogged pores are drying up before the pore is clogged completely. Usually they would end up being zits, but now these solid sebum particles are sort of half protruding out of my enlarged pores. Kinda nasty but i'm hesistant to just pull them off since they leave a huge gaping pore. I learned that if i leave it be the pore eventually pushes it out , slowly filling out from the inside and not enlarging the pore. yeah nasty i know

Edited by Oiler

Been about 2 weeks on 1000 MG of glutathione.

My nose is still very greasy, but it was producing so much oil before, even a 30-40% reduction would not be noticeable.

My forehead and the cheek are, I would say about 40% reduction. It's great not to dab it with tissue every 15 minutes. I probably dab it every 30 minutes or so.

Now the best part.

I used to get a few cysts around my chin line every few weeks. These would be deep and painful, and would persist forever until I somehow popped them. Even after i got the nsaty pus with a semi solid projectile in the center to shoot out, it would take about a month for the scar to fade away. Basically, these cysts really sucked.

Ever since I started taking glutathione, these cysts would come, get all big, red, and painful, but sort of disappear on their own in about 4-5 days. These are cycts that would never disappear! Not sure how gultathione is doing it, but as long as my zits just go away as soon as they appear, I'm gonna keep taking them!

Back in 2007, I tried the Diamond Whitening Pills.

I got a 6-month Supply.

It worked for me!

Less to Zero Acne, my complexion improved a lot!

Its expensive and I didn't order again.

For 1 Month, I took it 2x a day (AM & PM-before bedtime)

It improved my complexion.

Jarrow Formulas - Reduced Glutathione 500 mg. - 60 Capsules

I read Glutathione should be taken with Vitamin C for more absorption.

Ratio: 1:2 VitC

Like if you'll take Glutathione 500mg, Vitamin C should be 1000mg.

I'm taking it 1x a day now, before bedtime.

One of the effects of glutathione is Skin Whitening.

Its not a drastic change, unlike IV Glutathione after several treatments.

Start with a low dosage, maybe 250 mg with VitC 500 mg, 1x a day, before bedtime.

I think its a very good Antioxidant.

I've never tried IV Glutathione.

I'm taking the Glutathione Pills to help with Acne/Marks/Scars/Skin Complexion and I'm seeing positive results on it.

People with acne are low in Superoxide dismutase

h**p://ibmi.mf.uni-lj.si/acta-apa/acta-apa-05-2/1.pdf

Antioxidants:

h**p://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8958/sodq.jpg

replace ** with tt

So supplementing with SOD (GliSODin, normal SOD pills actually do little to increase SOD) could be beneficial.

Edited by kokoloko

People with acne are low in Superoxide dismutase

h**p://ibmi.mf.uni-lj.si/acta-apa/acta-apa-05-2/1.pdf

Antioxidants:

h**p://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8958/sodq.jpg

replace ** with tt

So supplementing with SOD (GliSODin, normal SOD pills actually do little to increase SOD) could be beneficial.

Ok an update. So I stopped using glutathione back in Aug because I thought its effects kept decreasing.

Well, about two weeks ago I started taking a pill a day but didn't think too much of it. After about 3 days, I started noticing my skin turn sort of leathery, with very little sebum EXCEPT for my nose which should be renamed "the fountain of sebum unlimited".

SO after 5 days, I stopped taking glutathione because my forehead looked like dried leather and the sensitive area around the eyes started flaking as well. It's been about a week since i stopped using glutathione and i've been drenching my face with moisturizers to turn the leather back to skin. However, even though it couldn't slow down the sebum production on my nose, it pretty much did everywhere else on my face. You might want to give it show since I'm confident no one out there can match my nose's sebum production rate.