Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
loki

finally going on accutane :)

I just wanted someone to share my experiences with. I'm 25 years old and have been battling acne for over 10 years. Doctor after doctor has denied me accutane because I am a female and they have said my acne isn't bad enough, and I suspect it may also be because they might not get any profit afterwards. I have tried everything for my cystic acne, including smoothbeam (which did absolutely nothing except give me blisters).

I am just so happy right now. I went to the a wonderful doctor today who not only prescribed me accutane (after I get the appropriate blood work done), but who is helping me obtain it for free smile.gif I haven't been this happy for so long--even though I still have these disgusting monsters all over my skin I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I pray that I really am able to get the drug for free, he filled out a form and said it would take about 2 weeks to get approved from Roche. Since I don't have insurance he is only charging me $20 per doctor visit. Finally, I have found a doctor with some love and compassion. I pray, please pray for me, that it all comes through.

This board has helped me so much throughout my years of reclusiveness due to this dreadful disease. If you are unable to afford accutane please find a doctor who is nice enough to try to get it for you for free. To my surprise there are some doctors out there not in it only for the money. Please wish me the best as Iwish all of you the best in your quest for clear skin.

I'll keep everyone updated as to my progress and when I finally get on it. I'll post pics if I'm brave enough, though my self confidence is pretty low right now as some can understand.

peace and much love,

L

How is your doctor going to get it for free for you? I want to go on accutane and do not have any insurance, please let me know how this is possible so that I may bring it up to my doctor.

I live in the US, by the way, I'm not sure if that matters.

Thanks!

Thats great and it really really matters what your doctor is like. Mine were like that too, they wanted my money and gave me things they knew wouldnt work. I went through about 5 different dermatoligists, it was pathetic and somehow my doctor got my accutane to be exetremely cheap too (only 30 dollars). I love that man. smile.gif

The doctor filled out a form to Roche stating how much I make. Currently I am working at a summer camp and am an elementary education major. I do not have a job lined up yet for the upcoming year (yet another stressor) so as of now I will basically be unemployed after the next two weeks. Hopfefully you will fit under the limit of what your income is. The doctor didn't even ask who I was employed by and said that they are pretty lenient with people not making much income, I do know however that $25,000 per year is too high.

Do you work at a job that is salary, hourly or based on tips? You could always fudge the numbers to work to your advantage if necessary.

That's awesome Victoria! Sorry I disregarded your post before smile.gif I just hope I really am able to get it for free. Please keep me in your thoughts. I have been so depressed and lonely because of this. Everyone I see has perfectly clear skin it seems. Where are all you guys on this board hiding out, lolol

L

please be really careful and second think taking accutane. there are several studies and lawsuits out there linking accutane to suicides and suicidal depression. and i took accutane twice and had that effect on me. accutane hasn't been around long enough for them to really know the long term side effects but this is one that is emerging lately....i know it works for some people....please be careful is all

please be really careful and second think taking accutane. there are several studies and lawsuits out there linking accutane to suicides and suicidal depression. and i took accutane twice and had that effect on me. accutane hasn't been around long enough for them to really know the long term side effects but this is one that is emerging lately....i know it works for some people....please be careful is all

Shut...up. Thanks.

evigrex that is a bit uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without being torn down for making it.

Having said that I believe that the side effects of Tane are exagerated by people and I am so happy that I decided to take it.

I don't understand... He was just trying to be helpful and said to be careful. Why are you so rude to him? As for my experience with accutane, it was the best thing for acne i've ever done. It cleared me completely for about 6 months and i never get cysts anymore, just small pimples that BP takes care of. As for side effect I only got dry lips which was definitely a small price to pay in getting rid of all those cysts.

you know what that was really rude. i was trying to help her....there is a huge class action law suit going around because accutane is causing suicides....if you want to ignore that that is fine. but i wish i had been warned!

needs help--i know you were trying to help me with the warnings and everything, but i'm quite aware of the side effects, i've been researching it for years. the depression that i have now is due to my acne and i do believe that the accutane will help my cystic acne so i am willing to take the risk of being more depressed if i have to. don't worry i would never commit suicide, i think no matter how bad it gets it's got to get better at some point and if i have to live through 5-6 months of hell for clear skin it's worth it to me. i live through hell as it is dealing with this anyway.

thanks guys for all your help and concern.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

another lonely friday night confined by the bars of acne. my friends ask me to go out and i either make up a lame excuse or tell my close ones the real reason and even though they don't understand they try to sympathize. thanks everyone out there for being there for me. .

i wish all of you the best and am praying that i get on this asap!

much love,

lauren

ensconced deep in our souls is a wanting for something greater, this yearning can either empower or destroy us, wherever we allow it to lead

i actually did end up going out. of course my friends said my face looked fine, blah blah, i wish they understood. i'm really happy that i'll finally be able to go outside happily during the day. please please please.

anyways, have a fun evening. anyone that wants to share their experiences with me about accutane please let me know. my doctor prescribed me 20mg a day. do you think that will be enough? I hope it will . . .

take care and have fun!!!!! music, friends are much help smile.gif

my doctor only prescribed me 20mg of accutane daily. does anyone know if this will be enough? i thought the normal doses were 80mg/daily.

i can't wait until i get this medication. i really hope that all goes well and i'll be able to get this.

That sounds like an inadeuqate dosage to me - low doses such as that will most often lead to a return of acne afterwards.. The normal dose considered standard among dermatologists is 1mg per kg. That means a 150 pound person would have to take between 80-100mg per day, if that gives you any idea.

Then again, I do'nt know the severity of your acne. This dosage may be perfect for you if your acne is somewhat mild.

great sad.gif i really hope that is a high enough dose, though he didn't tell me what dose he was putting me on i did notice he wrote down 20mg. now i'm even more worried. lately my acne has been the worst, moderate-severe. worrying isn't helping the matter. god damnit i hate this shit. someday in my life i will be able to go outside without worrying, right? doesn't feel like it. everyone lies to me, they say oh you're beatiful i don't even notice, yeah i'm sure. i hate being a recluse because of this. i just hope that it works and that i can feel self confident at some point in my life, does god ever listen? i realize things could be a lot worse but acne is the only thing that surrounds my thoughts. i need a new brain. :wall:

Yes, I know you were trying to tell her to be careful. But a very small amount of people that go on it have depression/suicide thoughts. And there is a checkup every month so your derm can check you out and ask about all that. Don't make it sound like everybody that goes on it has depression and thoughts, because that's very far from the truth.

i weigh 118 lbs. so i'm figuring i'll need more than that. this doctor is the best dermatologist i have ever been to so i really hope that all comes through, that's all i've been thinking about. everyone please keep me in your thoughts about getting the accutane. i really appreciate it.

right now i have about medium 6-7 cysts that are drying up and redmarks from previous ones, at least they seem to be drying out quickly, but i'll probably have new additions to add to the family tomorrow. i'm staying inside again today. i find that if i go out in the hot humid weather they get even worse. i hope all of you are having an enjoyable saturday. i guess i could grow the f up and just go out with my friend, but i don't want to do anything except have clear skin. people think i'm crazy about obsessing over, and i am, but you know what, everyone is f'n nuts. . .ftw

lokes

I was on 120 mg a day, I weigh 175 lbs but at that time i was closer to 185. Toward the very end of my accutane course i started becoming depressed, about a month before. Then within the next month i was perfectly fine, I don't even know if it was the accutane. I'm usually a very happy person but that was in the middle of winter and it was so cold out. Anyway for my acne it was a miracle and i would recommend it to anyone. Truly worth it, i was 100% clear.

that's good to hear it worked for so many people, i'm counting the days to figure out if i'm going to be able to get it for free. God i hope so, having no insurance really is awful. if the dosage is too low i guess i'll just have to talk to the doctor.

thanks for everyone's advice/support

If roche doesn't approve your application, PM me and I can tell you where you can purchase it relatively cheap - far cheaper than you can from a pharmacy.

Have you talked to your derm about possibly upping your dose of accutane? If you want permanant results from it you really should be on a higher dose.....1mg/kg is probably the best bet from what i've seen in others.

Don't be afraid to question your doc about this because he is working for you, not vice versa.

hey evigrex, thanks for your support, i haven't talked to him yet about raising the dosage, you're right, i should talk to him about it though for long term results. you took accutane right? if so, did u get the initial outbreak, i'm really scared of that as my skin is looking better today since i've been in the air conditioning mostly all weekend. the humidity really has an affect on my skin sad.gif does anyone else's skin get worse in the summer? mine certainly does, yet another reason to move to san diego. delaware is really a lame place to be..

No, I did not get an initial outbreak. If you're worried of that though, you can take an antibiotic at the start of treatment such as amoxycyclin or azithromycin (I had great results with the latter...) to prevent it.

hi loki

this is my first ever post on this thing. The reason I came accross it is because after a few years ive started getting spots again quite consistantly and wanted to top up my knowlege of the damn things.

Any how:

I was on accutane about 2 and a half years ago. I went half dosage for double the recommended period of treatment, to cut down the side effects. I actually ended up takin about 3 quarters of the dosage sometimes , like, 40mg daily for a couple of days then 60mg (I wheigh a bit over 80kg), but still.

Side effects wise, i got barely any, just some drying, using a moisturiser will sort that. Oh yeah, the lips are the biggest problem, mine actually dried up pretty bad and cracked often, but i started using blistex gel and carried a chapstick everywhere i went which pretty much solved the problem. Though occasionaly I would forget the chap stick out shopping or something and it got a bit hellish. I think I topped up my lips with that stuff every 30 mins or so! Dont let that put you off though.

I didnt get any initial breakouts at all (perhaps due to a lower starting dosage). I never at any time felt depressed, i felt fine. The whole process was a breeze. My biggest gripe about the whole treatment was that you couldnt drink much alchohol (if any). But I was in my early years of university living out, so ....... well... I drank.. A fair bit. Anyway, it didnt make any difference and my liver, blood readings were fine throughout.

Results wise, It really is a miracle cure, though last resort. My skin was incredible, I became 100% clear. The proccess was kinda slow starting but once it kicked in the spots just disappeared. Honestly, I was amazed. I know people write some negative things about it, but i think they are a very rare and unlucky lot.

I cant see 20mg a day doing much of anything in the short term, but it would eventually soak in and fix your problem Im sure.

I live in england, and on the NHS I got the treatment for next to nothing. I think it cost me £6 (about $10) per course, and each course lasted 3 months. I think it would have cost like £400 otherwise, not sure. So, i was lucky in that respect.

Another thing, not sure where your acne problems are located? I had spots aplenty on my face, then on my chest and shoulders too. The spots on my face were no match for the accutane, it kicked their ass and my face looked great. My chest and shoulders where way more stubborn and put up a good fight, but eventually succumbed to it. the place i have started getting some spots again is my chin, cheek areas. everywhere else is still 100% clear. Perhaps a stronger dose would have killed the problem off for like for me, dunno. But i stayed clear for nearly 3 years, pretty good goin. I highly recommend the stuff!

Phil