Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emma9321

Derma rolling question!

Hello everyone,

I have been on this website for about 4 years as a guest. I have just created an account because now I need some advice about scarring :)

According to my derm I have shallow box car scars, I was originally looking at laser treatments but have become interested in derma rolling.

My derm does not preform any scar treatments so I have been on the hunt for others.

I have found a dr. in Miami who preforms derma rolling (CIT), I am aware that I could do it myself, however, I do not have the guts to do it. I would rather work some extra shifts at work and pay someone who has used it before.

But basically I have a few questions for you guys...

1) Could the procedure damage my skin, make scarring worse?

2) Do you think derma rolling is better than laser treatments?

3) Are the effects temporary- I read somewhere that the improvement may not be permanent.

4) Has anyone on this board had it done professionally?

I wanted to post these before I book/drive all the way to miami for a consultation.

I am determined to improve my scarring, and for all the negative people- I am fully aware that my skin will never be perfect again, I just want my self confidence back :)

Thank you! I will update my decision and if I do the treatments!

1) if done incorrectly you could potentially cause damage to your skin, just make sure to only roll on the scarred areas only.. ive rolled on parts of my skin where there were only red marks thinking that the penetration of topicals would help the red marks but in fact it caused them to become indented...

2) i could not say if it is better then laser treatments but in all honesty in my research i have heard of way too many people who have had laser treatments with no results while many others say that they have had good results.. its a 50/50 shot.. but other research shows that it could be just as effective as lasers

3) the effects are not temporary, theyre permanent.. just make sure to take care of your skin

4) i never have done it professionally but honestly its a procedure you can do on your own and effectively if you use numbing cream to avoid pain and take care of your skin post treatment

goodluck!

Hey Emma, thanks for asking those questions. I was very interested to know myself as well. So dermarolling is basically when you damage your skin and then have it heal over again to reduce the appearance of existing scars right?

My question is... if you do this type of treatment enough times, would your face start to form calluses like your feet from the scarring?

Also, does this procedure help with enlarged pores?

Can someone explain to me the dermarolling procedure? How often do you do it? How long is each treatment? I've heard that people get swelling and bleeding afterwards, does this mean that they would not be able to leave the house?

Sorry if my questions seems overwhelming. I'm very intrigued by this.

cheese, theres a dermarolling support thread that has all the information you will need from beginning to end... i suggest instead reading through lamaars "ok guys..." thread as it will guide you through every single step and all the tools you will need. But yes it is basically inflicting microwounds into the scar therefore allowing topicals to work up to 10,000 more effectively then they would without any injury... LEDS are often suggested to maximize your results

heres the link to lamaar's post:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/guys-t217908.html

1) if done incorrectly you could potentially cause damage to your skin, just make sure to only roll on the scarred areas only.. ive rolled on parts of my skin where there were only red marks thinking that the penetration of topicals would help the red marks but in fact it caused them to become indented...

2) i could not say if it is better then laser treatments but in all honesty in my research i have heard of way too many people who have had laser treatments with no results while many others say that they have had good results.. its a 50/50 shot.. but other research shows that it could be just as effective as lasers

3) the effects are not temporary, theyre permanent.. just make sure to take care of your skin

4) i never have done it professionally but honestly its a procedure you can do on your own and effectively if you use numbing cream to avoid pain and take care of your skin post treatment

goodluck!

Now that's weird. bXPLAyBoY7, I thought that it should actually help with red marks... I just can't get the logic of your red marks getting indented after the derma-roller... ?

I needled the shit out of my skin w/ 2mm, you can search my threads where i posted a pic of all the bloody gore. I dont think you can make your scarring worse given that i needled very heavily and didnt experience any side effects.

did you see much improvement engineer007

I dont think so, but i will post before and after pics soon. Ive done 5 rolls over a span of 9 months

Edited by Engineer007

benni i thought the same thing before i dermarolled the red marks... before dermarolling them thats all they were for a few months, just red marks, no indentation or nothing... i dermarolled and sure enough, they became indented.. i believe because even though they were red marks the skin wasnt damaged as the skin where there are indents.. notice how some parts of your skin scar more easily then others? i believe that with the red marks and all, they would have faded with time, and the skin wouldve been normal, but i guess i caused it damage by dermarolling and made the skin indent.. thats why people say dont dermaroll on healthy skin tissue

I completely understand how rolling on scar free skin could in fact scar it.

But how do you not roll on the "good skin" my scars are surrounded by clear skin - if not- would it not just be one giant scar? How do you not roll on the good skin? I am slightly confused about this!

its okay to roll over good skin. its bad to roll over acne hyperpigmentation marks that is still healing from an infection, aka acne. if you roll over hyperpigmentation spots that has only been couple weeks old (which is still healing), you may damage that area further which then turns into a REAL indented scar.

its okay to roll over good skin. its bad to roll over acne hyperpigmentation marks that is still healing from an infection, aka acne. if you roll over hyperpigmentation spots that has only been couple weeks old (which is still healing), you may damage that area further which then turns into a REAL indented scar.

Chee,

are you tryin to say, that if you've got these red marks, you can't do the dermarolling? I thought that it helps with hyperpigmentation alot... I saw some posts here, that say, that you can't dermaroll over the healthy tissue... that sounds a bit weird I've got to say. As far as I know, the concept of rolling is to enduce collagen production, thus, smoothing out the wrinkles... I mean, that's what it was created for, not the scars...

Guys,they are minute pin pricks. They cannot cause atrophic scarring. Please.

You're probably right, dude. But I don't see any logical reason of why would bxplayboy just make up this story, I mean if he sais that rolling caused scarring, I guess we need to get to the bottom of this and know why did this happen... I mean, if he did something wrong, that we can avoid, we need to know what it was, right?

hmm, let me clarify what i said. well, you CAN roll over hyperpigmentation marks (ie dark brown marks) but the fresh pink/red marks (2-4 weeks post acne marks) is way too premature to dermaroll or needle. you shouldnt even mess with it or touch it too much at that state SINCE its still healing.

but if its TRUE hyperpigmentation marks that has been there for months and months (3-4 months... just an rough estimate) (usually darkish brown/tan/grey in color) then I BELIEVE its safe to dermaroll over so your face/skin can react in a cellular skin turnover/ shedding dead skin cells while building collagen.

its hard to explain, but i know i can judge my own skin to if its hyperpigmented and still healing from plain hyperpigmented that is more or less permanent and done healing.

My opinion is that if its just hyperpigmentation with no real scarring (indentation) and you TRULY want to dermaroll, just use the short .5mm one to create cellular turnover and to shed dead skin cell to obtain fresh new normal skin color. No need for the long 1.5mm one.

-all this info is my speculation and opinion, i dont have any hard evidence to support what i stated. that's just what i think/believe and it works for me.

Edited by chee6119

In a few days I have an appointment with a professional cosmetic facial surgeon that performs medical CIT for acne scarring.

I am going to ask him about rolling on good skin and I will add what he says to this post, hope this may help a few people!

In a few days I have an appointment with a professional cosmetic facial surgeon that performs medical CIT for acne scarring.

I am going to ask him about rolling on good skin and I will add what he says to this post, hope this may help a few people!

That would be really helpfull and make things clear for us, thanks Emma! I'm pretty sure though, that your doc will say, that rolling over healthy tissue is OK, and at times, it's even helpfull for whitening the pigmentation and reducing the wrinkles, though, I'm looking forward on the docs opinion.

again, thank you!

so due to my transport not working out (someone rear ended me) i wasn't able to drive the long distance to the doctors, so I had to reschedule and the next available appointment was in a few weeks. I promise I will add the drs answer on here - i just didn't want people to think i would just disappear like some people do on here!

So due to being back at school, I can't take any time off for treatments - I do not want to go in to class looking like a monster!

I am worried about medical CIT because the place I visited uses 3 mm length rollers, which I know I am not a dr. but aren't those used for burns, not acne scars on the face?

So basically I am back to square 1.

I am interested in buying a roller purely to help my retin a get deeper. So probably less than 0.5 mm? Does anyone know a good brand of roller to buy?

So due to being back at school, I can't take any time off for treatments - I do not want to go in to class looking like a monster!

I am worried about medical CIT because the place I visited uses 3 mm length rollers, which I know I am not a dr. but aren't those used for burns, not acne scars on the face?

So basically I am back to square 1.

I am interested in buying a roller purely to help my retin a get deeper. So probably less than 0.5 mm? Does anyone know a good brand of roller to buy?

Hi Emma,

I think downtime for using a 1.5mm dermaroller is roughly a week. Usually people say redness subsides after 3 or 4 days. If you're a girl, you can try dermarolling over the weekend and put on make-up to cover the redness.

1.5mm is what I plan to use in the future. I personally wouldn't dare to try 3mm. (even with a dr)

To enhance topical penetration, 0.5mm or below is what people suggest. I use Dr.Roller from amazon, it cost about 70 dollars. I haven't tried other brands so can't comment on that. Just be very careful not to be the needles. The redness after rolling with 0.5mm last for about 1-2 hours. (maybe it's the retin-a irritation also). I look fine when I wake up.

Do you get a rosy complexion from using Retin-A?

Good luck

Edited by Guest