Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whenever I shower I'm able to scrape off dead skin off my cheeks with my fingernail (I know I shouldn't do it). How can I get rid of this problem permanently? I read online that you can rub sugar on your face and then rinse off along with the dead skin? I would try it, but I don't want to risk a breakout?

Any thoughts on something that can be made at home to get rid of the dead sin?

Today when i got out of the shower my face was soo flaky. I applied my bp lotion to my face which made my skin worse with flakiness after it dried. I then put my oil-free moisturizer from Neutrogena(personally i dont like it but that was all i had) on. I just lathered it on and notice that the dry skin would move around(ewww.) I got at tissue and gently with a circler motion got all the dry skin off my face. Now my face looks "normal". It fixed the problem for today! :dance: Hope it works for you too.

Edited by sammie2011

After a warm shower when i have dry skin

i usally wipe it away with a warm wash towel and then air dry

never had a problem doing that but must of my dry skin is on my forehead

so it might be a bit different as the checks are thicker skinned.

I used to have the same problem - whenever I got out of the shower my face was full of flaky skin. In all honesty I think it means you are overdoing it - using products that are too harsh, washing your face too often or for too long or too harshly. If I could give you any advice it would be DO NOT USE SCRUBS TO GET RID OF IT. Your skin may be much different than mine, but the use of scrubs was seriously the worst thing I've ever done for my skin (I bought Philosophy's Micro Exfoliating Wash - it's supposed to be really good and gentle and it was really expensive but it honestly destroyed my skin and it took forever to recover). I'm assuming sugar would be the same.

I've never tried this, but I've heard that using baby washcloths to gently remove dead skin is okay. Beyond that, your skin care routine is probably too drying. Using gentler products or less of the products you are using or washing your face less often or making the water less hot will be the only thing that really prevents flaky skin from happening.

You can try baking soda as well, though there are definite pro's and con's to it. Use an acidic toner (like diluted ACV) afterwards if you do. If you want to use a scrub, make sure it contains smooth spherical microbeads rather than jagged, abrasive particles (do NOT use St. Ive's Apricot Scrub on your face... walnut shell particles are death). I've tried sugar. It felt gross, and like it was damaging, but it did work... my skin is extremely resilient, so i'm a bad test case.

Honestly what works for me is just a cheap microfiber cloth (you can get special exfoliating ones, or just buy the ones used to clean screens, etc.) and chemical exfoliation (a well formulated, low pH salicylic acid and glycolic acid product). I use Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel, and Dan's AHA+.

I can do the fingernail think with my back, if i don't exfoliate everyday. It's strangely satisfying... :whistle:

You can try baking soda as well, though there are definite pro's and con's to it. Use an acidic toner (like diluted ACV) afterwards if you do. If you want to use a scrub, make sure it contains smooth spherical microbeads rather than jagged, abrasive particles (do NOT use St. Ive's Apricot Scrub on your face... walnut shell particles are death). I've tried sugar. It felt gross, and like it was damaging, but it did work... my skin is extremely resilient, so i'm a bad test case.

Honestly what works for me is just a cheap microfiber cloth (you can get special exfoliating ones, or just buy the ones used to clean screens, etc.) and chemical exfoliation (a well formulated, low pH salicylic acid and glycolic acid product). I use Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel, and Dan's AHA+.

I can do the fingernail think with my back, if i don't exfoliate everyday. It's strangely satisfying... :whistle:

I also think so.

Edited by Dona J

before a shower, poor a ton of jojoba oil in your hands, rub it all around your face to get all of the dead skin off, and then get some white napkins and gently blot all of the oil away until its all gone/ then hop in the shower and do your normal routine (using nothing that will really dry things out).

Sugar and baking soda always made it worse for me

Well it depends what type of skin you have I guess.....If your skin type is naturally dry all the time then I would suggest just using a face flannel to gently get rid of the flakiness, and remember to use moisturizer regularly, but if you have naturally oily skin but you still have dry skin when you get out of the shower, maybe the products you're using are too harsh, as other people have said.

Personally I have oily skin and I wash my face twice a day with a tea tree oil face wash and an exfoliating scrub and it helps to keep my skin clean and oil free for longer. The scrub is very mild and I make sure that I'm not damaging my skin.