Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_renegade

Differin - Dryness replaced by Oilyness, what next??

Hello everyone,

I'd been to a derm recently to treat my moderate acne (I'm 25 years old) as it was starting to scar my face. He presribed Differin 0.1% Gel and cautioned me that the first few weeks it usually gets worse before getting better.

I use the Gel every night before I go to sleep. I also use an alcohol free mild face cleanser (locally made) before putting on the Gel.

My problem is that the first 3 or 4 days, my skin dried out to a comfortable degree and all my whiteheads had disappeared and the treatment seemed to be working fine.

I then had to go away for a weekend and couldn't use the gel for 2 nights. I resumed the treatment roughly 5 days ago and now I notice that my face gets real oily every morning and as expected, the white heads are back.

Is this normal for Differin? Should I continue using it? I've heard of people experiencing extreme dryness and redness and I don't seem to have any of those. Based on my experiences so far (I know a week is too short), do I continue with it?

I love this site and community!

Thanks a lot guys!

Cheers,

AR

P.S: I use it only on the affected regions including my cheeks, parts of my forehead and the corners of the nose that are usually prone to white-heads

Edited by acne_renegade

Hi-

I have been using Differin 0.1% gel for the last 7 weeks. I find that my skin fluctuates- some weeks it is really dry and flaky and others it is really oily. I am still breaking out a lot so think that the differences in how my skin is is just part of the Differin doing it's thing! I just vary which moisturizer I use depending on whether my skin is in an oily or dry phase! I would definitely carry on using it- people say it can take up to 3 months to see the full results.

Also did you say you are only putting the Differin on certain parts of your face? For topical retinoids to work best you really should put them over your entire face. Good luck

Hey lccarri,

According to the manufacturer, Differin takes anywhere between 4-8 weeks to start showing results. You say that you still break out a lot after 7 weeks of usage?? I think you need to go back to your derm, as mine told me that I should start seeing results after a few weeks (notwithstanding the initial breakout that differin causes).

I mean, how do you continue to be confident that the 0.1% gel will eventually work (assuming you are not acting on pure faith alone :) )

Cheers

AR

Hey acne_renegade,

Although I am still breaking out I do see some definite signs of improvement so that's why I'm still persevering with the 0.1%. My forehead is now almost completely clear which was where my initial breakout started. Also the rest of my face does seem to be slowly improving even though I am still breaking out around my chin. I agree if there had been no sign of hope I would have been back to the doctor by now. I am just hopeful that as my forehead has improved (which was usually the part of my face least affected by acne) that the rest will follow. If I get to 3 months and the rest is still a nightmare then think I will have to try upping the dose.

Did you decide to carry on with the differin or are you trying something else?

Heya,

Well I've been on Differin for only like 2 weeks now. I' going to give it at least a further 1 month. We should continue to share our experiences with this particular retinoid!

Good luck to you,

Cheerz

A_Renegade

Hey man, im 21 yr old male with mild-moderate acne.. whiteheads, pustules etc..

Ive been using differin now for over 11 weeks, nearly completed the full 12 weeks in a few days..

From about weeks 3-10 i broke out consistently, with week 7 actually being my WORST week. so dont be suprised if you're not clear by week 7. i hadnt started seeing better results up until kind of last week. but everyone is different.

It has made SOME improvement, my forehead and cheeks are now clear 90% of the time, yet around my mouth where my main problem area is im still breaking out.

I can see i still have some clogged pores around my mouth and although differin has minimized some, it doesnt seem to be able to kill them all, so some are still becomming inflamed into nasty red-mark leaving pimples.

im in 2 minds at the moment to either stick with it, or start accutane.. i see my derm next week, he'll prob have the final say.

Overall = yes, there has been some improvement, but no i am not clear as id hoped - particularly around my problem area (around my mouth).. others who have used it have cleared up 100% though, so i hear.

But yeah, i say stick it out, atleast for a couple of months, otherwise you will never know it if it will work for you or not.. it takes TIME .. and PATIENCE really is the key.. its hell frustrating, i know man, the last 11 weeks have wore me down lol .. but when you find the solution to this once and for all, it will all be worth it

Edited by pleasehelp123

Hi pleasehelp123,

It is good to hear you are finally starting to clear up with the differin-I remember you posting a while ago and thought you might have given up by now!-Glad that you didn't and it is finally starting to pay off! Gives me hope that mine might too. Let us know what your derm says and whether you continue as you are, up the dose or try accutane.

Acne_renegade- glad you are persevering too and yeah we should keep each other updated on how we are getting on

Hi pleasehelp123,

It is good to hear you are finally starting to clear up with the differin-I remember you posting a while ago and thought you might have given up by now!-Glad that you didn't and it is finally starting to pay off! Gives me hope that mine might too. Let us know what your derm says and whether you continue as you are, up the dose or try accutane.

Acne_renegade- glad you are persevering too and yeah we should keep each other updated on how we are getting on

Its getting there i think slowly but surely lol .. just not sure how much better its going to get though, being its been pretty much 12 weeks now. The pimples i do get now are smaller, and not as inflamed, but they are still appearing unfortunately - which is making me consider accutane as theres a very high success rate.

lccarri how long have you been using differin now? hows it going for you?

I am at the end of week 7 now. My skin had been breaking out badly all over and was the worst it had been in years- I was so upset. Then around a week ago my forehead started to clear up. My cheeks look great too-my skin seems plumper somehow-guess I am getting more than anti-acne benefits from the Differin! It is just round my mouth and chin that are a problem now. I wake up with a few new whiteheads every morning but like yours they are small and not too inflamed. They seem to heal up fast but I am left with lots of red marks now which will probably take a while to fade. I am still varying between being really oily and dry and quite often the skin around my nose and corners of my mouth gets a bit flaky. Everyday though my pores seem to be getting fewer/less noticeable and so I feel like there can only be good things to come. Hopefully we will all be clear soon!

I am at the end of week 7 now. My skin had been breaking out badly all over and was the worst it had been in years- I was so upset. Then around a week ago my forehead started to clear up. My cheeks look great too-my skin seems plumper somehow-guess I am getting more than anti-acne benefits from the Differin! It is just round my mouth and chin that are a problem now. I wake up with a few new whiteheads every morning but like yours they are small and not too inflamed. They seem to heal up fast but I am left with lots of red marks now which will probably take a while to fade. I am still varying between being really oily and dry and quite often the skin around my nose and corners of my mouth gets a bit flaky. Everyday though my pores seem to be getting fewer/less noticeable and so I feel like there can only be good things to come. Hopefully we will all be clear soon!

yeah the red marks suck! .. i still have around 8 or 9 red marks still healing from my breakout at week 7 - which was when my skin broke out pretty bad. some have healed, but still those marks from week 7.

Currently i have about 3 or 4 active pimples, which isnt too bad, but the red marks they leave makes it look like i have about 15 lol .. ughhh.