Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CelloIsLove

A good Multivitamin when volunteering in Uganda?

I will be volunteering for anywhere from 3-6 months next summer in Uganda. The organization I am volunteering for states the diet that will be provided as such:

"During placement you will have locally available foods such as matooke (bananas), rice and vegetable with tart flavor pickle two times a day, 8:30AM and 7:30 PM. There will be a snack in afternoon which you can expect beaten rice, puff corn and roasted peanuts etc. Sometimes host families may offer different items such as noodles, meat (if you are a non-vegetarian)"

Generally my body doesn't get much out of pills; I don't take vitamins because I've never gotten any sort of benefit from them. But the best brand of Multi I've ever taken was Nature Valley, so maybe I should look into another brand that has better absorbency. Also, since I have Celiac, my body doesn't always do a fantastic job of absorbing things, so I need something that's really going to just go full force into my bloodstream without passing Go or collecting $200.

What are your recommendations?

Must be gluten-free.

Thanks!

Edited by CelloIsLove

Really, no replies yet?

Ok, I guess I'll do some clarifying.

I generally follow a pretty high raw veggie diet. I doubt I'll break, out in Uganda because of the sun, low calories, and high activity (not healthy, but gets me clear), but I really am concerned about my general health because I follow this diet. This is going to be a drastic dietary change, and I don't want my body to go into shock of some sort, or to inhibit it's maximum functioning. What should I use to replace the veggies and the meat in my diet, at least temporarily? What do you guys suggest?

First of all, good for you for getting out into the world and making a difference! That sounds like quite an incredible experience you have ahead.

For the most part I am not a huge fan of supplements, but in your case it actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I do take a multivitamin about 4-5x/week. I take vitamin code men raw one-a-day. I feel fantastic with it, and unlike some more mainstream-commercial vitamins, it has no fillers/additives etc. You'd obviously get the women's version.

http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-Vit...W-One-for-Women

There is a great price. Buy two bottles and bring along; it also has the benefit of one of the most powerful probiotic strains we know, Saccaromyces Boulardii.

Fits in with the raw, vegan, gluten-free deal.

That is wonderful of you. :thumbsup: Wish you all the best on your trip. I feel liking coming too.

Sorry not much knowledge on multivitamins, ask a chemist/doc?, tell them about your body's needs and that you're going abroad.

Just seriously look after yourself, you'll most probably be consuming a lot of water, Just coming back from serious heat abroad, I felt thirsty more than anything. Water is my favourite drink forever. :w00t: Still a long time until your trip so you have plenty of time to find a good multivit'. take care

Whoops. I don't suppose a mod could move this to the vitamin posts?

Sure, no problem ;) Next time if you want a topic moved, just use the "Report" button, all the mods will get a message then.

Good luck in Uganda, what a great experience!

I'm not sure if it's gluten free but I use One A Day Teen Advantage for Girls and I can totally tell the difference when I take it and when I don't. It's supposed to help promote healthy skin (it says so right on the box/ in the ads) and I have found that when I take it my skin does look better. I don't always eat great and my immune system seems to suck so I think this helps me a lot and it might be worth considering.

Peace ;)