Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Timehealsall

Leaving acne alone?

Guest Timehealsall

I was wondering lately, maybe it is sometimes best to just leave your acne alone and not put anything on it? From my past experiences i have noticed that the pimples i left alone, although they took a while to heal, never left those disgusting red marks. On the other hand, the acne that i used benzoyl peroxide on usually left red marks and came back more frequently when stopping benzoyl peroxide. Is it ever a good idea to leave acne alone? I do, however, have A LOT OF acne (around 8 on my cheek, 5 o nmy left cheek, and 9 on my forehead.)

This is known as the "caveman" method. Don't do anything to your acne and it will go away. The theory is that the acne topicals that you use could be causing your acne. That's partially true. Check your cleanser for sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate. Check you moisturizer for isopropyl mystitate (spelling? lol) and many other things. But, Benzoyl peroxide will not cause more acne (unless you stop using it).

The reason we get acne is simple. Our sebaceous glands overproduce, which creates a perfect environment for dead skin cells and the p.acnes bacteria to thrive, thus clogging pores. So, this is why we use topicals. BP kills the p.acnes bacteria and also causes the skin to peel. A good, two-pronged approach. Once the irritation factor of BP subsides, you'll need to use something to exfoliate. I recommend chemical exfoliation, using AHAs (Alpha hydroxy acids). I use Dan's AHA+ and it's great. That's two ways you can combat acne. Killing the bacteria and removing the dead skin cells. The third part of the equation is excess sebum. There's not much we can do about that. It's in our genetics.

So, no, leaving acne alone won't help it. Also, it depends on how you define "leave alone." When you have a pimple, whitehead, blackhead, etc...don't touch it, don't pick at it, and don't pop it. That could spread the bacteria and makes Post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation more likely.

So, keep using BP until the end of life...or until they find a cure for acne. They were developing a vaccine for acne...but that hasn't gone anywhere just yet. Hope this helps.

Guest Timehealsall
This is known as the "caveman" method. Don't do anything to your acne and it will go away. The theory is that the acne topicals that you use could be causing your acne. That's partially true. Check your cleanser for sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate. Check you moisturizer for isopropyl mystitate (spelling? lol) and many other things. But, Benzoyl peroxide will not cause more acne (unless you stop using it).

The reason we get acne is simple. Our sebaceous glands overproduce, which creates a perfect environment for dead skin cells and the p.acnes bacteria to thrive, thus clogging pores. So, this is why we use topicals. BP kills the p.acnes bacteria and also causes the skin to peel. A good, two-pronged approach. Once the irritation factor of BP subsides, you'll need to use something to exfoliate. I recommend chemical exfoliation, using AHAs (Alpha hydroxy acids). I use Dan's AHA+ and it's great. That's two ways you can combat acne. Killing the bacteria and removing the dead skin cells. The third part of the equation is excess sebum. There's not much we can do about that. It's in our genetics.

So, no, leaving acne alone won't help it. Also, it depends on how you define "leave alone." When you have a pimple, whitehead, blackhead, etc...don't touch it, don't pick at it, and don't pop it. That could spread the bacteria and makes Post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation more likely.

So, keep using BP until the end of life...or until they find a cure for acne. They were developing a vaccine for acne...but that hasn't gone anywhere just yet. Hope this helps.

Hi, you mentioned that "Check you moisturizer for isopropyl mystitate (spelling? lol) and many other things," i am a newbie, i have no clue WHAT OTHER THINGS i should check for? Can you give me some input on tihs? You also said that benzoyl peroxide won't cause more acne unless you stop using it? Does that mean lets say i have 10 pimples on my face, but if i start using benzoyl peroxide, and i stop using it, i will have more active pimples because of benzoyl peroxide? Also, you mentioned that i should not touch pick at or pop my pimples because it can make pih more likely. Dont all pimples go through PIH? like i noticed that whenver a pimple of mine gets flat, it still leaves a red mark, but these red marks vary on how long they take to go away. i hope you can clear these things up

This does work to a degree. You're face won't be as red or as dry

and marks will be harder to see at least that's how it went for me.

You don't want to over wash but you gotta keep clean

and wash away build up of dead skin and oils.

Guest Timehealsall

so boss. Would you reccomend NOT using benzoyl peroxide and just leaving it be? Or maybe trying out antibiotics?

It's up to you. benzoyl peroxide made my skin really dry very red and flaky.

You should take antibiotics and leave it alone. Give it a go and see what happens.

Guest Timehealsall

usually after how long do antibiotics stop working?

Usually, the doctor prescribes them for 6 months or less. Your body will eventually build a resistance to them. Also, I've heard from personal anecdotes on this site, that when you stop (and you have to at some point) taking antibiotics, the acne comes back much worse.

Also, here's a page that shows comedogenic/irritating listing. comedogenic listing

I do not recommend stopping use of BP. It will cause red, dry, flaky skin for the first month, but that's normal. And, from my experience using BP (I don't use it anymore. I use tea tree oil), my acne got worse when I stopped using it. Also, I was not moisturizing well enough. And that could have caused some more acne as well.

Usually, the doctor prescribes them for 6 months or less. Your body will eventually build a resistance to them. Also, I've heard from personal anecdotes on this site, that when you stop (and you have to at some point) taking antibiotics, the acne comes back much worse.

Also, here's a page that shows comedogenic/irritating listing. comedogenic listing

I do not recommend stopping use of BP. It will cause red, dry, flaky skin for the first month, but that's normal. And, from my experience using BP (I don't use it anymore. I use tea tree oil), my acne got worse when I stopped using it. Also, I was not moisturizing well enough. And that could have caused some more acne as well.

what do you mean by it will build resistance? does this mean if the a/b works and it clears my face does it mean acne will come back OR does it mean it cant clear anymore further but wont make acne come back :S

little confused

Guest Timehealsall

How is the tea tree oil working for you? So you are telling me that stopping BP worsens acne? What the hell man!

what do you mean by it will build resistance? does this mean if the a/b works and it clears my face does it mean acne will come back OR does it mean it cant clear anymore further but wont make acne come back :S

little confused

The effects of the antibiotic will diminish because the bacteria will mutate and build a resistance. And yes, the acne will come back because the p.acnes bacteria will be resistant to the antibiotic, thus they will spread and multiply.

How is the tea tree oil working for you? So you are telling me that stopping BP worsens acne? What the hell man!

Well, I've been using it for about 2+ months and I'm still getting acne. Less than before. I noticed I was cleansing a little rough, so that might be why. I also found out that my sunscreen I had been using had a comedogenic ingredient in it. Very low on the list, but still. Meh. My acne is just inflamed whiteheads, though. So, it's not that bad.

And yes, acne is a treatable disease...so when you stop using the product that treats it, acne will come back. I can't say for sure if it'll be worse than before or not. Everyone is different. But, it will probably be more than you have currently. But, I think that's to be expected.

Edited by swdison

Guest Timehealsall

i do not understand how it will be worse than what i started with? I mean is Benzoyl peroxide spreading the p acne bacteria? This is confusing. IF i stop using bp, isnt the acne supposed to come back BUT similar to what i always had, not double it?

When you leave your acne alone, it is allowed to heal by itself thus it will not likely leave a red mark. But without the treatments you use on your face you lack any way of preventing more acne from coming. You should probably focus on getting rid of your acne internally either through antibiotics, accutane, or a healthy lifestyle of eating nutritious foods and exercising everyday

Guest Timehealsall

I am not sure if foods the cause of my acne because i eat very healthy and i exercise 3-4 times a day and i still have acne. Accutane is out of the question but i am considering anti biotics. Do antibiotics not leave redmarks?