Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aztek

Last Resort

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and let me give you a brief introduction. I'm from a 3rd world ( India ), and have had acne since I was 16. I'm 21 now. The acne went from bad to worse and I didn't know what to do. I hardly took any medication. It used to die down but return after a few days. I finally went to a dermatologist 2 years back. And I was using aziderm ( 20% ) and then aziderm ( 10%) along with a med, whose name i forgot ( :/ ) a year back for around 3 months. The acne decreased considerably and I only had occasional acnes ( one or two ) in about a month. But all this time the scars got from bad to worse. To a point I cannot tolerate it anymore.

Apart from that, I'm a fairly good academically and there are times when I have to face the audience ( as a speaker, etc ). I try my best to avoid any such event, because it kills me. I tend to be awkward when I speak with people in higher authority and it always leads to a weird situation where it seems I'm trying to run away from them. I can't go socialize, because every time I do that, I think about how horrible I look.

I know about motivation and hope. So please do not try to condole. This is very pathetic as it is. I've always had a dream to do something big, but many a times, I end up thinking that I should just go off to a remote location where nobody can see me, or kill myself. ( yeah, i know just a thought).

Ok, so to the happy part: I've recently won $5000 in a competition and all I have in mind is to get rid of the scars. I have no idea regarding any terminology being used here, nor do I have any experience with dermatologists or cosmetic surgeons. My previous dermatologist ( from a year back ) is out of town, and I can't trace him. So this is what I've decided: I'll blow the money I earned into getting a laser skin resurfacing.

I'm attaching the two images to my face here. I have a dark complexion, if it matters? Probably you guys can advise regarding this? I've decided to go to a hospital and speak with a dermatologist regarding the exact cost and procedure. What questions should I be asking? Also would $5k be enough?

Could you also tell whether this is severe or worse? Can this be fixed? Lessened? Anything better than what I have now. I think this is the last resort then.

I've attached the pictures.

post-133068-1278769907_thumb.jpg

post-133068-1278769922_thumb.jpg

post-133068-1278769907_thumb.jpg

post-133068-1278769922_thumb.jpg

Aztek, think long and hard about laser treatments, as people with darker skin can have problems with hyperpigmentation. Perhaps you could have test patches done to see if this would work for you. If I were you I would start a thread just for darker skinned people to offer their advice on treatments. Here is my link for treatments. Except for the hyperpigmentation issue I believe you would be a prime candidate for Re:pair, but this is a very big issue!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...ma-t252527.html

P.S. I thought I would hilite this link about things that have been proven to work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/health/1...no_interstitial

Edited by DudleyDoRight

I see. I'm reading your links now. And I believe yeah, it would be an issue. I'll bring this up with the dermatologist as well. Could try with patches, hmm.

Hey there, im going to be honest with you, Yes you do have scaring but I dont believe its as bad as you think it is, im not down playing your situation I just dont want you to go get laser and make it look worse when it could be fixed with a less expensive easier way. Your pics are blurry and alittle out of focus, maybe if you toke better pics with better lighting it would help but from what i see you have more texture problems than anything and that can make you look worse when light hits your face in certain ways, making your scars look worse. I think you should look into peels, one or two strong peels of TCA would be safer on your darker skin and would help smooth the shawdowing effect you get from lighting that make your scars more noticable, just a thought.

Hmm, I took a look here:

So, apparently it also has the same side-effects (hyperpigmentation). Maybe I should bring this up with the doc as well. I've really no idea about all this. So I'd like to thank you all for this information. It surely helps a lot.

*EDIT*

I was also wondering, is laser really that dangerous? I've seen a lot of threads and I'm really confused. I've seen comments on the extremes. On one hand, there are people who claim to be completely cured by this, and on the other there are a people who claimed to have gotten worse. Can anyone educated me on this?

*EDIT*

Edited by aztek

Yeah, it aint that bad.

I'd swap skin with you lol.

But yeah, because of your skin type, an abrasive laser could pose a problem such as lack of pigment.

Fillers could be an option, but they are only temporary and it would take a while to fill in each scar each time you get it done.

I had heard about fillers earlier. But then, I was thinking of a more "permanent" solution. Anything which lessens this to an extent that it isn't noticable, and I'm good ;)

doesnt look that bad at all bud, not alot there at all honestly..

just give some TCA peels a go

you really dont need anything drastic to treat them me thinks..

Hmm, I took a look here:

So, apparently it also has the same side-effects (hyperpigmentation). Maybe I should bring this up with the doc as well. I've really no idea about all this. So I'd like to thank you all for this information. It surely helps a lot.

*EDIT*

I was also wondering, is laser really that dangerous? I've seen a lot of threads and I'm really confused. I've seen comments on the extremes. On one hand, there are people who claim to be completely cured by this, and on the other there are a people who claimed to have gotten worse. Can anyone educated me on this?

*EDIT*

I have had 4 lasers with no complications. Make sure the people knocking lasers have had actual experiences with lasers, and are not just quoting heresay. Again I don't think your problem is with the laser removing your scars. Your problem is the color of you skin, and lasers have a questionable record with hyperpigmentation. Make sure you read that NY Times link I provided earlier. lasers may not be for you, but you may want to investigate Retinoids and Hyaluronic Acid.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/...ID&source=3

Hmm, I took a look here:

*EDIT*

*EDIT*

I have had 4 lasers with no complications. Make sure the people knocking lasers have had actual experiences with lasers, and are not just quoting heresay. Again I don't think your problem is with the laser removing your scars. Your problem is the color of you skin, and lasers have a questionable record with hyperpigmentation. Make sure you read that NY Times link I provided earlier. lasers may not be for you, but you may want to investigate Retinoids and Hyaluronic Acid.

yeah, i've been looking into it ever since you told me about it. I'll bring these up with the doc and venture into the other options you all have mentioned. Great help :)