Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So when I was younger, mainly around 10-13 I was a very energetic person. I enjoyed life and all it had to offer and more. I was not only hyper but just a great person in my eyes. I feel that now as Ive developed acne, im starting to lose that part of myself. now at 17, i tend to avoid social situations and in my head I know I don't want to...I just feel like it. Before this was a come and go thing. But now its setting in stronger and im not sure if i can recover. I understand that any person with acne would feel this way but before acne didnt really get in my way THAT much. Any advice?

Same thing happened to me. In middle school I was really outgoing, class clown, etc. When high school came around and I started getting acne I just became a total recluse. Like you said, it'll keep getting worse with time if you don't do something to change it. I don't have any actual advice though since I'm still battling it myself.

If it gets in the way of doing things you want to do, then you should talk to someone.

I have anxiety and it doesn't fit my personality at all. I'm outgoing, funny, bubbly, etc. But when people ask me to go hang out with them or try to talk to me on the phone, I just can't. :wall:

This has nothing to do with acne but I know how hard anxiety is to deal with. Best of luck. :comfort:

yaa i got help for my anxiety. not meds or anything juts a counelsor to talk to about my low self-esteem etc. it worked! i mean.. its a work in progress. i still have anxiety and i used to have sleeping problems cuz of it, but the sleeping has gotten better.

talk to someone. even if its not a professional. A family member, a close friend. idk. tell them ur fears and maybe they can encourage u and help u through it.

is the social anxiety just because of the acne? or is there more?

So when I was younger, mainly around 10-13 I was a very energetic person. I enjoyed life and all it had to offer and more. I was not only hyper but just a great person in my eyes. I feel that now as Ive developed acne, im starting to lose that part of myself. now at 17, i tend to avoid social situations and in my head I know I don't want to...I just feel like it. Before this was a come and go thing. But now its setting in stronger and im not sure if i can recover. I understand that any person with acne would feel this way but before acne didnt really get in my way THAT much. Any advice?

I read here that you are avoiding social situations but do you have any other anxiety symptoms?

from social anxiety UK

"They may experience specific physical symptoms such as trembling, rapid breathing, sweating or blushing. At the extreme, panic attacks can occur."

If you are dealing with any of the anxiety symptoms I totally sympathise. I have had general anxiety since I was 15. What helped me was to do alot of reading about mental health and anxiety in general. This totally empowered me to take some control back and this alone reduced my symptoms let alone the techniques I learned to reduce my symptoms.

If you are showing avoidant symptoms only at this point then this is a good time to tackle it. Either way there is also alot you can do for yourself. I have found exposure therapy to be very empowering and effective for any anxiety related problems.

http://www.healthyplace.com/anxiety-panic/...cks/menu-id-69/

xx

I can reccomend books to anyone who is interested. After ten years of studying it I have a favourate book which really helped me alot.

Edited by crystal_willow