Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone! Well, I had the first post all typed out and my fingers have a mind of their own a decided to click on something else and I lost everything. Anyways...I am on Day 8 of my 3rd accutane course. I took accutane about 6-8 years ago. I honestly can't exactly remember when it was or remember most of how I felt while I was on it. But the last course I did cleared my skin! I also did two different lasers for scars. Cool Touch and Smooth Beam. My skin looked great! Now it's back for revenge. Grrr....

I started breaking out when I was about 11. Yay puberty! It didn't start out too bad. Tried all the OTC products, then went to topicals and antibiotics and after all that it was even worse than when I first started breaking out. I had acne all over my face mostly cheeks, forehead and around the mouth. Never really had cysts until after all those treatments failed. Now, I started breaking out about 9 months ago. Didn't start out too bad then it just exploded. This time around its mosty on the jawline and chin with cysts. And random spots other places. Clogged pores/blackheads. I finally went to the dermatologist and she pretty much just asked what I wanted to do and I quickly said accutane. Heh. I was kind of bummed I had to wait a month to start. The iPledge program was not around back when I took it years ago. On a quick side note of one of the things I tried a supplemet called DIM Plus the month before I went on accutane. It helps to naturally metabolize extra estrogen in your body and it did help a little. Obviously not enough to prevent me from going on accutane. I will continue to take it.

Side effects! So I am on Day 8. Nothing too much going on. The first couple of days my whole body was extremely itchy. It has gotton a bit better. My lips are definitely chapped all the time. Aquaphor is the best. My nose is dry and a little flaky but nothing bad. My face is still pretty oily though. No really bad breakouts. Although I did get one huge, cyst on my chin a few days after starting and I got a small breakout on my back. Just one. I never breakout on my back! So I guess it's working it's magic. I did get a little bit of a bloody nose today. Very little blood but I will soon be putting aquaphor up my nose all the time. That is actually one thing I remember very well the last times I was on the tane. The inside of my nose felt dry and crystalized all time and I was always putting vaseline up there. Lol. I am also getting those random muscle and joint pains. Nothing unbearable. I am VERY tired all the time. Also at work I have a bit of a hard time focusing and remember things. I'd leave my station and end up in a room I didn't need anything from or forget what I was getting. It was awful. Nothing has happened like that before. I'm a pastry cook at a resort, btw...My eyes are extremely sensitive to sunlight. I walk outside, I can barely open them and they instantly fill up with tears and start streaming down my face. People think I'm crying! Haha. I live in AZ so it's pretty effin bright (and HOT) all the freaking time...Anyone else experience the eye sensitivity?

That's about it. I'll post pics of each side of my face. These cell phone pics actually make my face look better than it does in person. The flash kinda washes out some the red marks. I'm pretty pale so in preson ALL the red marks show very well. =/ These were taken on day 2. My face has a nice shine and pink tint because I had just taken a hot shower and put moisturizer on my face. Oh and BTW I use Aveeno face wash and Cetaphil moisturizer with sunscreen.

Nighty night all!

Hi PBN!

I started Accutane on July 1st, so our courses are very close :) I'm experiencing the sun sensitivity as well, but my eyes don't tear. When I go outside I get headaches and my skin feels like I have a sunburn (it's just super tingly and sensitive). I am finding that I'm experiencing headaches more than any other symptoms right now (knock on wood). I'll just be going about my day and I'll get a piercing headache at my temples for about 20 seconds. I find that drinking water helps with it. Anyway, my derm said to try wearing a hat and sunglasses when going outside and hopefully that will help with the eye sensitivity thing.

Thank you broadwaybaby! I hope so too!

Angela, I do too get the skin tingly thing. I was out running errands all day yesterday and got a headache from being in the sun. It's no fun but I have forced myself to wear sunglasses. I usually don't...You're lucky you haven't got any other side effects! Good luck to you on your course. Kind of cool that there is someone else who is pretty much at the same point as I am! :)

Thanks hop3!

Okay so today is Day 10 nothing too much to report about. My lips are getting more chapped and my bottom lip cracked. My face is more dy today and flaking more. Yay! I wish I could exfoliate all the dry skin off, but that is a big no no...As weird as it sounds I feel better seeing more side effects because that means it's working! No big breakout yet. I'm hoping I get lucky and not have one! I have one cyst on my right jawline. It's going away though. I woke up with a few new tiny white heads. Blackheads seem to be getting pushed up to the surface. I can't wait until they are all gone and my nose will be clear! My face has an overall new slight redness to it.

Has anyone tried those green concealers/powders that are suppose to cancel out the redness? I've heard mixed things about them.

I haven't worked out yet since I started. I'm really bad with sticking to a workout routine. I mostly just play Wii and do my elliptical. I think I will today though. High cholesterol runs in the family and I have it! I have perfect trigycerides though. :D But I really think I should keep up the working out because my previous courses caused my cholesterol to go way up!

I have kind of a funny story about the day I went to the derm to get my perscription. Although it kind of irritated me what happened...So, okay I get called in to the back and she immedietely gave me the cup to pee in. And I'm really weird about peeing in public places and peeing on command...I just can't do it. LOL. My friends always make fun of me because if we're in the bathroom somewhere and they try to talk to me I wont respond. It's just weird. I'm sorry but no one can bug me while I'm in the bathroom. Anyways, so I went into the bathroom and tried to pee in the cup but I just couldn't. I have a bit of an anxiety problem too. I come out and tell her I couldn't go. I go into the room and we take care of other things like making my next appt and whatnot. She gave me some water to try to help me go. Haha. 10-15min go by and I try again and success! And of course I'm not pregnant. I don't have a boyfriend and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be getting with anyone while my face is peeling off. Lol. Like I would want to anyways! But my derm finally came in after the negative prego test and said, "You finally peed!" Ya, thanks...And the last thing she said to me before she left the room was, "Don't get pregnant!" That's what irritated me. Come on lady! Do you think I'm stupid? I have a feeling she doesn't trust me. I told her in my first appointment that I don't have a boyfriend and don't plan on having sex while on accutane. She's the one who perscribed me the birthcontrol too, since I wasn't on any to begin with. I refuse to take oral contraceptives/patches/shots. I just don't like the idea of having my hormones altered like that. So yeah, I have to pay for BC pills every month and don't take them. But I made sure it was the cheapest stuff. Ha. That was the only way I knew I'd get to be on accutane. I wanted to start accutane as soon as possible and I knew if I went to the gyno it would have taken so long to get in to discuss another method of BC. So, that was my story. We shall see if the pee problem happens again at my next appt...

That is all for today. Peace out!

Hey PBN!!

First of all GOOD LUCK with your course!! I am also a Tane repeat offender.. haha.. I did 3 courses and am likely gonna have to do a fourth :(. It is crazy, I don't understand how it comes back!? Anyways, best of luck with your third course.. I am sure you are a pro by now with handling side effects, etc. I know I am!

Also.. not trying to be rude by asking how much you weigh but.. 80 mgs to start seems pretty high! I am ~140 lbs and have always done 40 mgs to start then up to 60 mgs until cumulative dosage. This time though, I'm thinking I wanna get this ish over with and go with a higher dose! How do you find the 80 mgs? I found 60 fairly bad (especially in the Canadian winters, my hands and lips were AWFUL and nosebleeds occurred too of course..).

Last question - how did you find the laser treatments?! I started a course of Smoothbeam 2 months ago to try to control my skin but it is seeming like a fail (have only had 2 treatments). I do have some shallow scars that I wanted to get rid of, too (is that what you used it for?). I think it would probably be good for the scarring but it doesn't seem to be helping the breakouts so I wanna just do Tane again cause I know that works. How was the CoolTouch, also?

Anyways all the best.. I also have my old log going with the "third time's the charm" title, haha. Although not for me, apparently! Stop over if you want :) cause I'm likely just gonna log my fourth course in there!

Later gator!!!

L

punkrockprincess,

Hi! And thank you! I hope this will be the last time! I weigh about 130-135lbs. On my previous courses the highest I did was 60mg. I have a different derm now then I did back then and this one seems a bit more aggressive with treatments I guess. Lol. She said she just want to, "really kick it in the butt." I was honestly a bit scared because I thought it was a high dose too! But I'm fine with it knowing that a higher dose is probably better in the long run as long as all the bloodwork stays normal. The first week was kind of bad. I was SO tired, headaches, backaches, my mind was totally off in la la land all the time. But I've seem to have adjusted to it and I feel pretty good. Today is actually the first day that I have really noticed the dry skin. It's getting to the point where it hurts to smile...but I remember that from last time too. I live in Arizona so it's kinda miserable sometimes with the sun so bright all the time and the dry heat. Definitely hard to stay hydrated and not get dry cracked skin. Hands especially. I just found I have to put on lotion many, many times a day. Really good thick lotion.

And about the lasers I realized that I didn't do the Smooth Beam, it was the Versa Pulse! Ha, sorry! My mind was somewhere else that day. It's been like 6-7 yrs since then...But the versa pulse helped so much with red marks. It takes a lot of sessions and takes a little while to see results and it gets better and better over time. Definitely saw a difference. And the Cool Touch was for the more deeper scars. And that too helped A LOT. It stimulates the collegen to grow and fills in the scars, but it also takes longer to see results. Worth it though. Sadly, I have a feeling I will be doing those again some time in the near furture because I scar so easily! Maybe not so much the cool touch but definitely the versa pulse.

Thanks again! Good luck to you too. I will stop by sometime. :)

Day 12!

So today...I just wasn't feeling it today. I felt blah all day. Although, I am going on 2 hours sleep because I was downtown all night walking around for 6hours in the HOT humidity. (Monsoons are finally here! YAY!) There was some sort of event down there. I confess I drank a little. Not much at all though. 2 beers okay? Lol. Did not drink enough water! Which I think is part of the reason why my face seems the most dry it has been. Mostly I feel it around my mouth. It feels like I have a sunburn and hurts to smile. No new breakouts. Just ones that have been there for awhile that have gotton bigger but they are starting to go down. Soooo many little bumps and blackheads all over though...I think I have a total of 4 cysts. All in the process of healing. And it seems like healing time has gotton longer than usual. I know it's only been 12 days but it seems like it's going by soooo slow! I want time to go by faster. I can't wait until I start seeing results. I'm getting impatient. Lol. My lips have started peeling alot. I'm applying chapstick and aquaphor non-stop! Good news though is I haven't had any headaches, muscle/joint aches for quite a few days. EXCEPT for like my whole lower body. I am never doing that many walking lunges again! Haha. Well, it's been a long day and I'm finally home from work and it's time to relax!

Good morning. I hear ya there about the time just dragging. This has been the longest 5 weeks of my life. Days just drag along. Before I was dealing w/ this, I'd look back on 5 weeks like they were yesterday. Now it seems like a year ago. Hang in there

Day 16! Wait 16? ONLY 16?! Ughhh....

Good morning! Err...Afternoon. I just got up not too long ago...Heh. I take full advantage of sleeping in on my days off. My lips have offcially turned to looking like CRAP. Red all the time and peeling so bad! No matter how much chapstick and aquaphor I apply, it doesn't help. Right now I feel like my face looks better. I have two pretty painful cysts right now. They just started to emerge so they haven't reached their full potential yet. Yay...I had one hidden beneath my eyebrow that came to a whitehead. I popped that just because it was so painful and you can't see it. I also have one cyst on my cheek that has been there for weeks. Doesn't hurt but just wont go away...I have been getting A LOT of tiny whiteheads. I can deal with those. I'm just happy I haven't been getting really big cysts and white heads as often as I did.

I switched my make-up from bare minerals to physcians formula. I think I like it better. I love mineral make-up. Just because it takes only a few mintues to apply. It's weird though my face has a different look to it. Almost like those staues at the wax museums. Looks tight and kind of shiny but not oily...

The skin on the rest of my body isn't dry but it doesn't feel as soft as it use to. My scalp is severely dry and itchy and flaky. Might need to look into something for that. I was getting a pedicure yesterday (I have lime green toe nails!) and I looked down at my knee and it was bleeding! I guess my skin has gotton to the very fragile stage. I don't even remember hitting my knee on anything. I also have a nasty bruise on leg and from what? No idea! Don't remember hitting my leg on anything either. And of course everything takes so long to heal now. But no other side effects. I feel pretty lucky for things to be going well so far. But it's still early in the course...

I still have 2 weeks until my next blood work and 3 weeks until my appointment. If everything comes back normal (*crosses fingers*) I'm wondering if she'll increase my dose to 100mg...if so BRING IT ON! I want to DESTROY this acne! :badgrin:

Does anyone find the packaging for this stuff annoying? I do...

Anyways, I don't really have anything to report. Mild back pain and I've noticed something strange happening on my lips...It looks like little tiny blisters are popping up. But you have to get real close to see them. They are smaller than the tip of a pen. And if I scratch them with my nail they pop. So I guess they are blisters...Aquaphor, chapstick and vitamin E oil are accomplishing nothing.... =( At least I can only see them!

Hey! Just wanted to wish you luck with your course! I'm a little bit ahead of you, so you can always see what's going on with me to maybe get an idea of what could happen to you.... :)

I agree. The packing is ridiculous. They already make us women jump through so many hoops due to the pregnancy issue. Then they mark up the package with pictures of the Accutane babies and pictures of crossed out pregnant women. THEN they make the pill just about impossible to get out. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like just one more subtle way of the makers telling us not to get pregnant. "Maybe if we make this pill REALLLLLY difficult to get out, she'll think twice about getting pregnant." hahahaha

Keep us updated! :)

The packaging for this stuff is SO annoying! Bending the pack all over the place and trying to get your finger nails in the right spot to pull up the foil. And I don't need a reminder on every hole not to get knocked up! It is a good laugh for others though.

I'm female, 5'7, about 130lbs. and also on 80mg a day. My derm started me on 40mg the first month, and then upped it to 80mg the 2nd month and I've been on that dose ever since. I was surprised by the increase, but I'm doing just fine. No major side effects at all. I just finished my 4th month. I'm still getting tiny breakouts of just a tiny cyst or two, so my derm wants me to stay on accutane for 6 months.

The only problem I seem to have is remembering to take the 2 pills every day! I don't like taking all 80mg at once because it gives me a bit of a headache, so I try to space them out. Then I forget one. I blame being a space case on the Accutane... ;)

Good luck, and I hope this cycle kicks acne's ass for us!

Day 22

Bad skin day. =/ 6 cysts! They are all small but what the hell?! They came out of nowhere...My nose is all rough feeling. My back hurts. I'm tired. My scalp is digusting. It's impossible to wash out the flakes. And you would think blow drying you hair would blow out all the flakes but no. It's only 10:43 in the AM and today already sucks!

mandirose, up until about a few days ago I was so good at remembering to take each 40mg pill twice a day. Then I started to forget to take the morning one. I blame the accutane as well...or maybe it's the fact that I have to get up at 430am to get ready for work. =P

axtine8, it is impossible to get the damn thing out of the package! Sometimes I'll find the little pieces of foil or the part with the pregnant lady on it around my kitchen. And when you tear those pieces off, they don't even come off completely! Guys have it so easy when they are on this thing. They don't have to piss in a cup every month or get lectured about not getting pregnant every time they go to the doc (I do...) although they still get the awful packaing to look at. Haha.

yep, i mentioned that on my log... those things are sooo hard to get out of the package! i find it completely unnecessary :)

I hear ya noodles. Most days Im at the "this day blows" point as soon as I walk into the bathroom at 515. Hope things get better for you.

Your skin is just like mine. And I am on my second course. About 7 years later as well.

I wonder if in another 7 years we are going to have to take this again. :/

I hope this will be the last time for both of us, breanana!

DAY 26!

I'm pretty sure I'm in the middle of "the initial breakout" even though I'm more than 3 weeks into the course. Cysts, cysts and more cysts! They aren't huge ones but not small either. I can hide them okay with make-up. It just seems like the breakouts are happening so fast and so close together. Hopefully things will start to clear up soon!

Nutrogena T Gel totally cleared the flaky scalp! I use it a few times a week. Lather, rinse and REPEAT. =)

ALSO! I discovered some amazing lip stuff. Neosporin LT. They do not manufacture it anymore so I had to buy it on ebay. 6 tubes for 10 bucks! Small tubes...but it will last. It relieved the pain and redness of my lips! They are of course still chapped so they feel awful without anything on them so I am constantly applying this stuff. Even though it says 3-4 times a day...Is that bad?

I'm experiencing some pretty bad back pain. Mostly in the tail bone area. You know that feeling of a joint in your body right in the middle of cracking? It feels like that whenever I walk! It seems like if I could just crack it, it would go away but no that will not help...

And then of course the usual dryness. My ears are flaky. Gross. My skin turns blotchy pink when I'm in the sun for more than about 10-15min. I usually notice it after I'm driving on my left arm.

That's all, I am so tired. I cannot think anymore. I stayed up too late last night watching a laser light show set to the album Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd. It was awesome. =)

HI GIRLS to cut the story short i used roaccutane twice before

im 27 years now

it lasts only wih me for 1 year n a half maximum two years n then i get all z acne again

so wht do i do shall i go for the third course im really scared coz of its effects

i was really suffering of much whn i did it but doing every two years or so isnt it bad for the kidney

im scared i might get kidney failure later whn im 40 or 50 u knw wht i mean

so any advise