Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Acne.org, I'm a 17 year old dude with mild to moderate acne!

I have washed with only water twice a day since I had acne at 13, but now I have decided to get more serious about eliminating acne... so:

Using Acne.org's reviews, I ordered Olay Foaming Face Wash, Sensitive Skin and Pond's Dry Skin Cream online.

My most problematic acne areas (light to moderate):

• Forehead
  • Sides of forehead
  • Cheek area very close to nose
  • Mustache area

Less problematic acne areas (light):

• Chin
  • Jaw line
  • Nose

Dryness and flakiness:

• Chin area
  • Right side of mustache (don't know why??)

So how should I go about using these products? Should I use less or more to start off? Use it on one area first? Start with only the face wash first?

Thanks for the support!

Hi Acne.org, I'm a 17 year old dude with mild to moderate acne!

I have washed with only water twice a day since I had acne at 13, but now I have decided to get more serious about eliminating acne... so:

Using Acne.org's reviews, I ordered Olay Foaming Face Wash, Sensitive Skin and Pond's Dry Skin Cream online.

My most problematic acne areas (light to moderate):

• Forehead
  • Sides of forehead
  • Cheek area very close to nose
  • Mustache area

Less problematic acne areas (light):

• Chin
  • Jaw line
  • Nose

Dryness and flakiness:

• Chin area
  • Right side of mustache (don't know why??)

So how should I go about using these products? Should I use less or more to start off? Use it on one area first? Start with only the face wash first?

Thanks for the support!

Hi and welcome! I hope you find great help here, I have. Are you using anything that has ingredients to treat acne specifically or taking it slow? Well usually not much face wash is needed, about a quarter sized amount, use it all over your face. I would moisturize and cleanse 2x a day, once at night and once in the morning. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or whateva! :D

Hi and welcome! I hope you find great help here, I have. Are you using anything that has ingredients to treat acne specifically or taking it slow? Well usually not much face wash is needed, about a quarter sized amount, use it all over your face. I would moisturize and cleanse 2x a day, once at night and once in the morning. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or whateva! :D

Thanks! I'll tell you how it goes.

I've been using both products day and night for 3 days, no progress at all.

btw, what does a "quarter sized amount" literally mean? like the exact VOLUME of a quarter or just the area?

btw, what does a "quarter sized amount" literally mean? like the exact VOLUME of a quarter or just the area?

Hmm do you think you should try something else? How's it going now?

Haha the area I believe not the volume.

how are things now? Are you washing with hot and cold or with tepid water? Is your skin oily or combination? Are you using any type of exfoliation?

Welcome by the way. :)

Thank you bek_cogent and only.one. for your responses.

Right now, my skin is either the same or a little worse than before.

Just in case, here's literally all the info you guys should need:

Skin type: Dry I believe. A little bit more oily at and around the T-zone; dry chin and around mustache area; normal skin around cheeks (I don't get acne there at all) 14 hours after washing, my skin doesn't even seem that oily...

Wake up 7:00 AM, eat breakfast, then wash face.

I'm not quite sure I'm washing correctly...

I first wash my hands with soap, completely rinse it off my hands. While my hand is a little wet, I only use around half a "quarter" of that Olay face wash I got. Then I rinse "to a lather" for around 5~15 seconds. Next, I rub it very lightly all over my face and jaw for around 10 seconds. I use regular lukewarm sink water to rinse it off... I really try not to aggravate existing acne, so I either pat my skin and rub a little.

I have a couple of dying questions here:

1) Should I really use a quarter-sized amount of face wash? I'm afraid it'd be too much and it will be hard to wash off... which leads to these question:

2) How exactly do I apply the facewash, and how should I wash it off? I'm afraid I'm doing it too lightly.

Anyways, I pat my face dry with a separate wash cloth.

I try to wait a couple minutes or more after my face has completely dried off to apply the Pond's moisturizer. The total amount of lotion I use is almost equivalent of a nickel. I apply it everywhere equally, except I use a little more on my dry chin area.

I go about my day, I go to summer school in a hot area. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible, but the weather is still HOT. I can't help but sweat a little either.

I go home, and I try to wait until 9~10 to take a shower and do the same washing routine in the shower, then moisturize.

Any minor suggestions, no matter how minor, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you guys!

By the way; right now, I have around 4 spots right on my forehead, can't really tell of scar or not, but it's not visible as hell. Some spots also on the sides of my forehead, small not really visible white heads I guess on my nose. This scab is healing on my mustache area... AND THIS SCAR THAT HAS BEEN HERE FOR 2 MONTHS! Like 1.5 inches down from my right eye, and 1 inch right from my nose. I'm looking at a mirror about 7-8 feet away with new glasses, and can even kinda notice it. I remember it first formed two months ago, then it healed a little and it formed AGAIN a few weeks later. I don't think it has been active since, but it's still pretty red. It has this little circle scab thing that has been there for a while... a week or more.

I haven't picked or squeeze in years. And my skin looks great from that 7-8 feet away, lol.

Edited by PrettyCoolGuy

Thank you bek_cogent and only.one. for your responses.

Right now, my skin is either the same or a little worse than before.

Just in case, here's literally all the info you guys should need:

Skin type: Dry I believe. A little bit more oily at and around the T-zone; dry chin and around mustache area; normal skin around cheeks (I don't get acne there at all) 14 hours after washing, my skin doesn't even seem that oily...

Wake up 7:00 AM, eat breakfast, then wash face.

I'm not quite sure I'm washing correctly...

I first wash my hands with soap, completely rinse it off my hands. While my hand is a little wet, I only use around half a "quarter" of that Olay face wash I got. Then I rinse "to a lather" for around 5~15 seconds. Next, I rub it very lightly all over my face and jaw for around 10 seconds. I use regular lukewarm sink water to rinse it off... I really try not to aggravate existing acne, so I either pat my skin and rub a little.

I have a couple of dying questions here:

1) Should I really use a quarter-sized amount of face wash? I'm afraid it'd be too much and it will be hard to wash off... which leads to these question:

2) How exactly do I apply the facewash, and how should I wash it off? I'm afraid I'm doing it too lightly.

Anyways, I pat my face dry with a separate wash cloth.

I try to wait a couple minutes or more after my face has completely dried off to apply the Pond's moisturizer. The total amount of lotion I use is almost equivalent of a nickel. I apply it everywhere equally, except I use a little more on my dry chin area.

I go about my day, I go to summer school in a hot area. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible, but the weather is still HOT. I can't help but sweat a little either.

I go home, and I try to wait until 9~10 to take a shower and do the same washing routine in the shower, then moisturize.

Any minor suggestions, no matter how minor, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you guys!

By the way; right now, I have around 4 spots right on my forehead, can't really tell of scar or not, but it's not visible as hell. Some spots also on the sides of my forehead, small not really visible white heads I guess on my nose. This scab is healing on my mustache area... AND THIS SCAR THAT HAS BEEN HERE FOR 2 MONTHS! Like 1.5 inches down from my right eye, and 1 inch right from my nose. I'm looking at a mirror about 7-8 feet away with new glasses, and can even kinda notice it. I remember it first formed two months ago, then it healed a little and it formed AGAIN a few weeks later. I don't think it has been active since, but it's still pretty red. It has this little circle scab thing that has been there for a while... a week or more.

I haven't picked or squeeze in years. And my skin looks great from that 7-8 feet away, lol.

Sounds like you are doing everything right! you can also apply moisturizer when your skin is damp, it's up to you. It's okay though it just seals in moisture. But you need to have something to fight acne in there! Benzyl peroxide, salycic acid, something. Otherwise how are they going to die? :)

P.s. Lather Neosporin on the scab! and the scar. ;)

Thanks for the reply!

I will Neosporin the scar (morning and night, or what?)

I have a Erythromycin (3%) and benzoyl peroxide (5%) that has been sitting in the refrigerator for a while. The expiration date is actually this month, 07/2010, should I still use it? and when/how (after using moisturizer?)

I actually think benzoyl peroxide from a prescription from Kaiser, but gave up on it quickly. I'm a bit skeptical about using it now... the texture is kinda weird, and if I take a little of the cream and rub it with two fingers, it turns into like an eraser shaving.

thanks!

Edited by PrettyCoolGuy

Thanks for the reply!

I will Neosporin the scar (morning and night, or what?)

I have 5% benzoyl peoxide that has been sitting in the refrigerator for a while. The expiration date is actually this month, 07/2010, should I still use it? and when/how (after using moisturizer?)

thanks!

Haha dab some on when you are at home, all the time. That's what I do anyway. And if you want to use it at night you can put a little bandaid over it to keep it on. Hmm. You probably can for a month or so but after that I would get a new one to be safe. Clean your face, apply, wait a bit, and then moisturize. Try to work your skin up to it slowly if it starts reacting with flakiness and redness.

Thanks again!

Another question: I have been using the BP for the past 2 days only in the morning. Should I use it day and night?

My skin isn't really getting red or irritated from the BP also, should I up the dosage?

i think you should wait a while before you up the dosage

also i think using it twice a day is a good idea. thats what i do, however im using dans bp and thats 2.5%. you might irriate your skin if you use 5% twice. however it just depends on your skin type and people are different so youl just have to experiment.

good point, I think I'll just use it once a day then.

Is it less effective to use it in the night than morning? because I would much rather prefer putting BP on at night to avoid the sun.

thanks!

Stopped using BP a while ago, skin is pretty acceptable now.

But that scar is STILL red after 3 months.

I have applied neosporin with a Q tip until the scab, for the most part, disappeared.

I'm now applied Vitamin E oil from a capsule (400 IU) to it.

It's still not really fading after a week, any ideas?

Err my acne is gotten better because I stopped (almost expired anyways)

Well anyways, I just worried about the scars; it still isn't improving after using Neosporin 2~3 times a day for a week. I used some 400 IU Vitamin E capsule oil on it for a week, still not improving.

here are my questions:

1) Should I take the 400 IU Vitamin E orally?

2) When I pat dry my face, I don't think it's possible to get all the water out. So when I put my moisturizer on right after, it makes it very "wet"; is using moisturizer supposed to be like this?

Proactive really works. I did not have acne as a teenager, but as a young adult I do. I realize that proactive is expensive but it really does work as long as you are consitant with using it. You will see a difference very quickly. Your face will dry out, but if you use their moisturizer that comes in the kit as directed it will help and you will only be dry for a day or two. People say it does not work, but it really does. Again the key to this prodcut is to be CONSISTANT! Every morning and every evening. When I first started using it, it would take me 15 minutes because I wanted to make sure I was using it right becuase it cost 70 dollars, but now I can do it in 5 mins. While I wait for lotions to dry I brush my teeth or start drying my hair. If you try this you will not be disapointed. Also proactive will reimburse your money if it does not work for you, but I know that it will. Good Luck!

Proactive really works. I did not have acne as a teenager, but as a young adult I do. I realize that proactive is expensive but it really does work as long as you are consitant with using it. You will see a difference very quickly. Your face will dry out, but if you use their moisturizer that comes in the kit as directed it will help and you will only be dry for a day or two. People say it does not work, but it really does. Again the key to this prodcut is to be CONSISTANT! Every morning and every evening. When I first started using it, it would take me 15 minutes because I wanted to make sure I was using it right becuase it cost 70 dollars, but now I can do it in 5 mins. While I wait for lotions to dry I brush my teeth or start drying my hair. If you try this you will not be disapointed. Also proactive will reimburse your money if it does not work for you, but I know that it will. Good Luck!

hey how long have u been using pro-activ? i used it last year, and it worked like a charm, but i sort of stopped it which was a very bad mistake cos it all came back!

so i went back to it, its been 2 months there are improvements but th marks aren't going.

have yours gone? let me know.

thanks. =)