Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My family and i are at our lake cottage right now for the Fourth of July. Im probably going to bed soon so i went downstairs with my bag of fash wash, mositurizer, tooth brush etc. (i have like two other bags of cosmetics in my luggage on top of that for makeup, sunscreen, god knows our skin is ultra sensitive to the sun due to acne meds, and some hair stuff) Anyway, i take my bag and go into the bathroom to wash off my makeup and wash my face.

I look over and see another bag in the bathroom and its my older sister's ONE cosmetic bag. Shes 19, we are 18 months apart, and she has a few items in her bag. Deodorant, toothbrush, hairbrush, a face wash and moisturizer shes had for like the past 2 or 3 years.

Now, my sister has olive, clear, smooth skin. She maybe gets a pimple or two around her time of the month that pop up and fade away.

Her skin is neither dry nor oily. Its not red or freckley. nothing. clear.

Me on the other hand... acne since i was 13 or 14. On everything from proactiv to accutane. RED, sensitive, oily, broken out, scarred face.

Now seriously? She probably washes her face, MAX once a day. if that. in the shower. maybe. doesn't wear coverup ever, or eyeliner. nothing. just naturally flawless.

However, i wash my face twice a day, moisturize, take pills, use topicals, yadda yadda yadda, and my skin is awful compared to hers.

She even swims twice a day, (D1 college swimmer) and her skin is still amazing. I pretty much avoid pools.

So we are 18 months apart. SIMILAR GENETICS!!! so why? ugh. i just needed to rant.

its so frustrating seeing people totally ignorant to skin care and they have flawless skin. Then the thousands of us on this board, that struggle everyday and get nowhere.

And then i have family members who make fun of me for wearing makeup or packing so many skincare supplies. Do they really think id do any of this if i didn't have acne or stuggle with my skin? no. i wouldn't. If i could i would just lie down on my bed for once and sleep without worrying about washing my face or applying topicals. If i could id jump in a lake or pool and not worry about my skin. If i could id wake up each morning and run downstairs without looking at the mirror first. If i could id go to more sleepovers, or feel comfortable vacationing with friends both males and females. And if i could i wouldn't constantly have to look in a mirror and check my skin. but i can't..

Its just sad i guess. My skin has kept me from doing alot of things. Like at our lake house over the years, my sisters (ya i have another older one) have always brought friends up or boyfriends. But i have only brought like a friend or two every once in a blue moon. I don't feel comfortable bringing a friend cuz i just worry about my skin and i worry that they will think im weird for my skincare routine. I just don't feel comfortable

Plus, its also kept me from ever having a boyfriend. im almost 18, never had a bf, ive maybe kissed like 2 guys but in my book they don't count. Its sad. I just avoid ever liking a guy because of my insecurties..

Sorry i just needed to rant, i feel like alot of times people on this board that ive never met understand me better than my own family and friends...

I just really want to meet somebody who feels the same way i do. Im tired of being surronded by flawless skined, perfect, people.

Well thanks for listening everyone! u don't have to respond, i just needed to type.

I know how you feel. My sister used to have acne, but never to the degree that I did. Hers went away with a simple BP 2.5% cleanser that her dermatologist prescribed her. I haven't seen a spot on her face for the last 10 years? However, I have tried everything, and JUST found something that can consistently keep me clear. Took her a week, and me 5 years.

ya! thats so annoying. I have a friend who had acne problems. Went to the derm, got a topical and some antibotics and BAM her skin is clear.

me.. i had to go on tane and i still break out

what finally cleared up ur skin?

Yeah my sister is the same way (well not totally). She still breaks out sometimes but she doesn't have the scarring I do and never suffered socially because of it. I blame her diet though because she eats a lot of junk (I used to be the same but I have finally been forced to change). Plus, it's not even just that. She got all of the good genes that I missed out on and I always compared myself to her, lowering my self-esteem. I feel like one day it will be the opposite and my efforts will pay off. It doesn't look likely justyet, but I know it will happen. This coming from a very negative person...

Plus I think I will be able to clear up my face with diet, supplements, exercise, etc. It's already proving successful after I quit antibiotics & birth control as they were causing me much more harm than good. I had a good solid 2 weeks of clear skin. Not sure why it is coming back but I'm suspecting it is the probiotics. Hopefully it will subside after taking them for awhile as I cannot compromise that.

Yeah my sister is the same way (well not totally). She still breaks out sometimes but she doesn't have the scarring I do and never suffered socially because of it. I blame her diet though because she eats a lot of junk (I used to be the same but I have finally been forced to change). Plus, it's not even just that. She got all of the good genes that I missed out on and I always compared myself to her, lowering my self-esteem. I feel like one day it will be the opposite and my efforts will pay off. It doesn't look likely justyet, but I know it will happen. This coming from a very negative person...

Plus I think I will be able to clear up my face with diet, supplements, exercise, etc. It's already proving successful after I quit antibiotics & birth control as they were causing me much more harm than good. I had a good solid 2 weeks of clear skin. Not sure why it is coming back but I'm suspecting it is the probiotics. Hopefully it will subside after taking them for awhile as I cannot compromise that.

ya I always comapre myself to my sister which is stupid but sometimes it's difficult not to do.

Let me know how u new system is going. That's interesting. I've just always used pills and creams that I can't imagine stopping.

it takes a wee bit more than flawless skin to be considered perfect.

hah I know. There are other things of course. On top of amazing skin she is naturally pretty. Doesn't need eye makeup or anything. He hair is nice and straight.

Not just looks either. She is a D1 college athlete but it also very smart. She rakes a ton of difficult classes and is studying to be a biomedical engineer. For like the past three years she's always had a perfect little boyfriend. Gag. Haha

I mean I so have qualties ahe doesn't but somtimes it's hard living under a shadow like that.

I know how it is people. My dad had perfect skin, so did my mom, grandparents, EVERYONE. Except for my uncle. ONE person, who had terrible acne, guess who i took after, yeah. Some of us are just unlucky, we have to deal with it. If one of your brothers or sisters starts getting acne tell them to clear it up early before it gets bad, no one ever told me, my mom said i'd grow out of it. Even told me the sun would "dry it up" or some stupid bullcrap. Now look at me, horrible acne and on accutane.

I can really identify witht he statement that you just want to lie down on some sheets and go to sleep without worrying about my skin. I have a boyfriend and I wish I cuold just snuggle up with himwithout worrying about either his sweat will break me out (it does btw... grrr) or always have to tell him not to kiss my face, shoulders etc when I have the topicals on cause it causes skin to peel off the lips or when I have a breakout on my jaw and he forgets about my skin (cause he is amazing) and he tried to stroke my face lovingly without thinking AND IT HURTS ME!! I have to tell my boyfriend not to touch my face if I am breaking out cause it will make it worse or cause it hurts etc. He showers every night so I don't breakout as bad from sleepy cuddles.

so yeah, have my rant too lol xxx

Ah I'm sorry thts not Fun. But it's good to know he is alwas there for u and u know that hen ur skin is clear he will still be there

ya I always comapre myself to my sister which is stupid but sometimes it's difficult not to do.

Let me know how u new system is going. That's interesting. I've just always used pills and creams that I can't imagine stopping.

It's going better than before I started taking the antibiotics (about a year and a half ago) because I had cystic acne then. I have quite a few bumps right now but they are generally not inflamed. I'm taking probiotics, though, which are probably breaking me out. I had a week or so clear after I stopped everything and just used topicals...amazing.

Anyway my sister came home and was complaining that she had a cyst and she wanted to know how to get rid of it and she asked me if she should steam it and I'm like "no...it will just get more inflamed" Sometimes with certain acne you know you can steam it and get it to a head which me and her a both guilty of doing but this was obviously not an option in this case. So instead she went downstairs and ate an original yoplait yogurt (LOADED with sugar - which I'm sure will help a alot) and then had me make her a spiru-tein strawberry shake with milk which definitely doesn't go well with all the sugar in the yogurt. Oh well...I'm guilty of the same crimes but at least I had a reason to ever eat a lot of sugar (candida cravings :/).

Hahahah ya it's funny. When my sister gets her one breakout every month she always asks me for cream or asks me advice on how to get rid of it. It's actually really annoying. she bitches about one breakout when I rejoice because it's only one!

Hahahah ya it's funny. When my sister gets her one breakout every month she always asks me for cream or asks me advice on how to get rid of it. It's actually really annoying. she bitches about one breakout when I rejoice because it's only one!

omg I feel the same way! Some people would be horrified to have the skin I have on a "good" day! I just can't wait to get clear skin, because it's really holding me back from LIFE! I am so ashamed that I avoid certain lighting because it will show my acne! I'm sick of this!

Oh, and I have 2 sisters and they have better skin than I do.. I know how you feel.... I hate when the complain!

Well I know how you feel. My brother and my sister have never had acne. My brother's younger, and my sister older. I'm the only one, and it sucks. But now, my sister is having a bit of trouble with it, and tells me now how my skin is way better than hers. No, it's not, and I tell her that, but maybe I'm just used to it. She's not...so it's a lot harder on her than it is me.

I like to think I have good skin, but unfortunately its acne prone. Ever since I was in like 4th grade I starting getting breakouts.

My brother on the other hand. His skin is a slightly lighter complexion that mine, but never had a breakout all through high school. More recently his skin has started to break out a bit.

Not sure why his skin waited so long to breakout...

I can totally relate. My two sisters both have amazing skin, and all they use is a face wash, and not even an expensive one! They'll buy some Neutrogena cleanser from the drugstore and be perfectly clear the whole month expect for one zit during their monthly. Granted they are 18 and 23, but it's always been like that.

But at least my brother can semi-relate to me. He gets zits too, and he's 21. Which kinda scares me, because what if I still am getting zits at 21 (while I'm only 13 now)? However, he's content. He doesn't care at all about his skin.

I guess my sisters just got my mom's beautiful skin, and me and my brother got my dad's, which has visible acne scars, and he even gets a zit from time to time now, and he's 55.

Sucks. :boohoo:

ya! thats so annoying. I have a friend who had acne problems. Went to the derm, got a topical and some antibotics and BAM her skin is clear.

me.. i had to go on tane and i still break out

what finally cleared up ur skin?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, i'm not the greatest at following up on threads :wall: . My skin is clear using finacea. Its an incredible topical that doesn't dry out the skin, cause an initial breakout, or increase sensitivity to the sun. It by far the greatest thing I have ever used.

holy moley. old thread. lol. but i am still upset about this topic. i am acutally leaving in an hour to go back to this cottage with my entire family and my extended family. however, my skin is the clearest its ever been and im happy about it, but its still bad in the eyes of other people. i have some lingering redness and redmarks. other people would cry over that but im so happy :) anyway:

@fr: don't let acne hold u back. from ur picture i can tell that ur beautiful!!! use those big brown eyes :) doesn't it suck having 2 sisters? mine are older so i feel like i live in their shadows. the one whos 18 months older than me is literally perfect. smart. pretty. perfect skin. nice. funny. atheletic d1 swimmer. ughhh

@Vamp: ya just support ur sister, give her tips and ideas on how to clear her acne. its not fun having clear skin most of ur life than bam breaking out. but idk how that feels cuz i got acne around 13/14 and before that i didn't care about my looks... so i just always remember myself WITH acne. its gotta be hard the other way around im sure

@ilove: that is weird... maybe u can help him achieve clear skin. but damn 4th grade is pretty young! everyone is different i guess

@potter: first of all i love harry potter :), ya im like u, my mom had really nice skin and thats what my sisters got, but i got my dad's skin :( ughh i hate that! my sisters are the same. they just have their store bought acne cleanser that they use like once a day if that. and they have really nice skin! i mean im almost 18 and im still breaking out. id say people who get acne in their teens generally breakout out until their 20s.. my sisters are 19 and 23 though, but they didn't break out bad in highschool at all. not compared to me...but since ur dealing with ur acne now and taking the right steps u will be able to find a regimen and stick with it! i was f-ing around with stupid stuff like proactiv at ur age. big mistake.

@Kyle: uhmm ive never heard of it! sounds good though. so thats all it took? thats greatt! congrats

@Cheer: hahah im with yaa! screw genetics. i hope they figure out the gene and people can mutate it so acne goes extinct :) ya i know, far fetched....

If it makes anyone feel better I have a friend with flawless skin, beautiful hair, great genetics, etc. and she is WAY more insecure than I've ever been. Her insecurity definitely hinders her love life even though she's like a beautiful porcelain doll. Just goes to show that a lot of people have problems, even if they don't look like they would. It's about what's in your head, not on your body.

And by the way, she uses so much makeup on her face even though she doesn't need it and doesn't even use a single product for her skin besides makeup remover and a basic cleanser, yet her skin is still perfect haha. I envy her skin yet she envies my confidence and outlook on life, even has said she wishes she was me, so who's really happier...? :think:

wow thats crazy. but ive heard of girls like her. gorgeous girls that paint themselves with way too much makeup, can't leave the house without it, even though their skin is flawless. so biazarre. and i agree, its mostly in ur head. and u are ur worst critic. everything u see in the mirror stands out more than it would to someone else.

what do u think shes insecure about? have u ever seen her without makeup though?? maybe she looks really different or something? i remember when i had really bad skin, my friend thought it was flawless because i was really good at hiding it with coverup. then i sent her a picture of what it looks like when i take the makeup off and she was shocked...she couldn't believe it was that bad.

I can really identify witht he statement that you just want to lie down on some sheets and go to sleep without worrying about my skin. I have a boyfriend and I wish I cuold just snuggle up with himwithout worrying about either his sweat will break me out (it does btw... grrr) or always have to tell him not to kiss my face, shoulders etc when I have the topicals on cause it causes skin to peel off the lips or when I have a breakout on my jaw and he forgets about my skin (cause he is amazing) and he tried to stroke my face lovingly without thinking AND IT HURTS ME!! I have to tell my boyfriend not to touch my face if I am breaking out cause it will make it worse or cause it hurts etc. He showers every night so I don't breakout as bad from sleepy cuddles.

so yeah, have my rant too lol xxx

Ugh, I totally relate to this. My bf has a job where his hands get dirty(he works in a warehouse) and he always has dirt/grease on his hands and doesn't understand why I snap at him for trying to lovingly stroke my face. UGH. I feel like such a bitch, but come on! I can't help it. I'm so paranoid about my skin its not even funnny. Kinda ruining my life a bit....