Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tritonxiv

Have overly shiny skin? This method works.

I have always had oily skin, bad genetics. Whatever, can't change that.

BUT I was always curious why after I washed my face, took a shower etc...my skin would still look shiny, even though there was no oil on it. I discovered the problem was over-exfoliation. The solution is the no rub method.

Think about it, when you want to make something shiny...a car for instance? What do you do? That's right you rub it, and the more your rub, the shinier it becomes. The same principal applies to your face. So all you have to do is avoid anything that would rub against your face.

This means when you take a shower, do not let the water hit your face.

Never wipe your face with a rag, or rub your face with your hands.

Use as few topical products as possible. Especially ones that irritate or chemically exfoliate the skin.

To cleanse your face, fill a basin with plain hot water and use a blotting motion to ease the water into your face for 1-2 minutes.

Immediately dry your face, using a towel and blotting with enough pressure to allow the towel to absorb the oil you loosened with the hot water. Do not rub the towel over your face.

If you need moisturizing, use 100% pure USP-grade glycerin. This is an incredibly cheap and effective moisturizer.

Oh, and don't sleep on your stomach.

Edited by tritonxiv

It could be because of the accumulation of dead skin cells? this regimen sounds a little bit too gentle for my skin :( I mean, its not overly-shiny but it still has that look to it. especially in the sunlight. or florescent lights. damn I hate those :|

Edited by Alex_09

It could be because of the accumulation of dead skin cells? this regimen sounds a little bit too gentle for my skin :( I mean, its not overly-shiny but it still has that look to it. especially in the sunlight. or florescent lights. damn I hate those :|

Yes, that's exactly it. When you over exfoliate, you're revealing the new, sometimes underdeveloped skin cells underneath. That can lead to a lot of redness, irritation, dryness, and shine.

Assisted exfoliation is not natural.

The dead skin cells act as a barrier while new skin is maturing underneath. When the skin underneath is mature, the skin cells on top fade away naturally.

I'm sorry but you're in the wrong sub-forum.

You said yourself that your skin is not oily...it just looks shiny.

This forum is for people with oily skin...the kind that starts dripping and soaking with grease after an hour of gentle face washing. I mean we can fry an egg on our forehead minutes after washing our face.

We would KILL to have our face just LOOK shiny.

I'm sorry but you're in the wrong sub-forum.

You said yourself that your skin is not oily...it just looks shiny.

This forum is for people with oily skin...the kind that starts dripping and soaking with grease after an hour of gentle face washing. I mean we can fry an egg on our forehead minutes after washing our face.

We would KILL to have our face just LOOK shiny.

The only thing that prevented the dripping oil for me was long-term low-dose accutane.

But a lot of people's oily skin can be made to look even worse, practically reflective, because of the shiny skin underneath it.

"BUT I was always curious why after I washed my face, took a shower etc...my skin would still look shiny"

i bet those were hot/warm showers

I get exactly this, but I gave up with exfoliating and everything ages ago as it had no effect. I also get extremely oily skin and yes, having shiny skin on top of this makes it ten times worse. Guess I will try drying and washing my face more gently.