Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
michichi

What's the highest dosage intake for a 50kg female?

Hi, I'm 15 years old and I weigh 50 kg. My derm prescribed me to take accutane. She prescribed 10mg dosage which is low. I think I should adjust to a higher one since it's too low and I think it won't have too much effect. Plus, my face is very oily at the end of the day. Is 20mg fine for me? I really can't experience side effects except from joint pains. I've been taking accutane for about 2 weeks now.

From what I understand, your maximum dosage would be 50mg per day. It's very common for derms to start you on a lower dosage though, and build it up - so don't worry :)

Hi! I weigh 50 kg, too. My derm started me at 30 mg, once a day for my first month. I've been upped to 50 mg for Month 2. I may even reach 60 mg at one point. I'd rather stay at 50 mg for the next four months, if possible, though.

10 mg is a really low dose, but since you have only just started taking Accutane, I think it's fine. I'm sure your dosage will be upped next month. Plus, it's great to start on a low dose, body-wise.

The recommended cumulative dosage is between 0.5 mg/kg and 1 mg/kg (some even go as high as 2 mg/kg (reserved for very, very severe/resistant acne)).

25 mg would be the dosage to reach 0.5 mg/kg

50 mg would be the dosage to reach 1 mg/kg, which is the standard usually used.

Hope I helped!

I'm 51 kg and I did 40 for my first month and am now on 50 mg for my second month. I am a guy, but I don't think it really makes a difference in this case. I don't plan on going past 50 though.

Maximum doses can vary depending on your doctor. I weigh a bit over 50kg and am currently on 60mg a day after being on 40mg for the first month-so over the 1mg/kg dosage. However, this is my second course so we already knew what to expect as far as my tolerance to accutane. The first time, I started on 20mg for a while and then slowly moved up. I think it's good to start low to first see how your body reacts to it. Best of luck!!!