Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jackiechan24

is 40mg of accutane alot?

Same here, started at 40 and I've been at 40 for 2 months. 3rd checkup is on friday, I'm expecting that it will be increased.

Same here...I'm on my second month of 40mg. That's what I started at, and I didn't see any initial breakout. Good luck!

I got started on 40mgz too and I weigh 130 pnds I don't know how much that is in KG's???... But on my second month now 9 dayz in and the derm recommended to up it to 50mgz but it's all good im dryin out and the looking good everyone on here says the initial dosage refelts your weight and most everyone get started at 40mgz anyway just so that your body gets itself used to tane, so yea its' quite normal unless u weigh 50 pounds :unsure: GL

40 is just fine, my weight is low and always has been so I stayed on that dose for 5 months-it's not considered a low dose, a midrange to higher dose although some people go to 80 mg

i started out w/ 40mg.. then went to 80mg per day that only lasted 2 months, since i'm slightly older then most people on Accutane (Amnesteen) i'm back to 40mg 'cuz i have problems keeping my cholesterol to an acceptable level.

after 6 months i'm 99.8 clear... currently only side-effect is dry lips.

hey guys, I'm a 24 year old female and weight 120 pounds.I've been on 40 mg for two months now and love the results.A few breakouts here and there but nothing major.Do you think I'll have to have my dosage increased?I really don't want to b/c i'm afraid I'll breakout really bad.

Sounds like a lot of folks here are using less than 1mg/kg. Using less than 1mg/kg will work in terms of clearing acne, but there is a drastically higher chance of remission after therapy. 1mg/kg is the gold standard amongst dermatologists for the ratio of results and sides, and they have the leeway to prescribe up to 2mg/kg for those that are having difficulties at lower doses.

FYI, 1mg/kg for a 150 lb person would be between 80-100mg per day.

if you are on it for 6 months or so you should be able to stay on 40 mg.  if this dosage is working and you stay on the whole term i dont understand why they would up the dosage. 

your input is appreciated when it comes to your derm.  i would suggest staying at 40 if thats what you feel comfortable with.  you seem like you may be a small girl too so adding more is just speeding up the process???  i would rather stay on a bit longer with lower dosage.  im at 40 too and when he tries to suggest higher next month i dont want to be put over 10 mg more...

I'm on 40mg daily also. Right now I'm on my 20th day. Here lately I've been skipping a day between doses cause my head is starting to feel weird and headaches are more frequent. I feel better when I skip a day.

Will this affect my treatment if I do this? I figured if I just take all my pills that it would still be affective even though I'm skipping a day. At this rate I'll probably be on it for a year.