Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rhona30

I'm 33 and feeling really low...

I'm 33. Suffering from adult Acne. I stopped taking Yasmin last August and started getting spots on my cheeks and neck about 3 months ago, they seem to be getting worse by the day.

I took Accutane when I was about 18 years old and have pretty much been spot free since then, I found it to be a wonder drug.

Doc has given me gel (differin) for it and it seems to be making my skin worse. I’ve been taking it on and off for a few weeks. I’ve also been prescribed Tetralysal 300mg but I wanted to try just the differin first.

Can milk or oats cause acne? I’m eating a lot of porridge just now and wondered if the milk could be causing it. I’ve switched to soy milk because I know that cow’s milk has hormones.

Is anyone in a similar situation?

Acne is HELL.

Some people are sensitive to milk. Some are sensitive to soy.

Regarding the Differin: using it on and off isn't going to provide any benefit. It needs to be used consistently and for at least three months. That's the way retinoids are.

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Please also realize that at least three months on the medication is required for noticing full benefit. You may experience an 'initial breakout' (explained in previous link) that's due to the purging effect of retinoids.

The antibiotic may help with the initial breakout from Differin but also can have nasty side effects, including destroying the beneficial bacteria that live in your gut.

i am 31 with acne, so i hear u emotionally there.

i tried differin but it made things alot worse, i am on epiduo now, my second month.

i have no advice yet as i am new to this acne thing, i am kinda lost myself.

I'm just SO SO scared that my skin is going to revert back to the way it was before I took roaccutane when I was about 19 or 20.

When I say on and off I just mean I've not used it for maybe one out of 3 days if it's hurting my skin too much.

I seem to be breaking out in more spots each hour!

I could almost cry.

I would definitely lay off of the dairy! I'm not a big fan of retinoids (or most topicals), I would suggest trying out Aczone, they have free samples on their website. I decided to give this another go...will keep you posted.

i have cried!

i know but just think how good it will feel to see our skin clearing up, all in due time.

i don't think the skin will ever be the same, i can only hope better!

Hi Rhona,

I can totally sympathise, I too took accutane at 16 which cleared it completely! Since then I have had the odd spot but nothing major.That was until this time last year.I had problems with my periods,they stopped completey for about 9 months! When they did return so did my acne!

It seems different to when I was young,mainly lots of tiny spots all over my forehead and larger ones on my back/chest.

Been on various tablets and gels but nothing!

Im about to take a hormone test,ordered through my dietician to try and get to the bottom of it.Im sure its hormone related.

I too am so scared they will revert back to how they were all those years ago! Each day is a battle,scared im stuck with it.

I try and keep busy,my horses occupy me and motivate me.

I guess we just have to try and get on with things and concentrate on other things.

xx

Edited by DaisyMai

Sorry to say this but I do not sympathize. It helps nobody creating a thread "im feeling so low", least of all you.

1. You are responsible for your mood, nobody else.

2. The doctor is responsible for your body. Go to him for advice.

You are welcome to try different solutions, and I myself am trying databases regimen too. But I'm still going to take accutane again after my doctor cleared me for it. Hoping is what I do in my free time, real solutions are for real life.

I use Differin too and have seen an amazing difference in my skin. Please use it consistently for 3 months, it works. Every day. I suggest you get a GREAT moisturizer, it really helps with the sensitivity.

Sorry to say this but I do not sympathize. It helps nobody creating a thread "im feeling so low", least of all you.

You are welcome to try different solutions, and I myself am trying databases regimen too. But I'm still going to take accutane again after my doctor cleared me for it. Hoping is what I do in my free time, real solutions are for real life.

Are you always this harsh and unsympathetic? That was completely unnecessary.

I agree,that was harsh.This is what this place is all about,people offereing advice and support.We all know how acne gets you down,some people just dont deal with it aswell (doesnt make you wrong!).People come on here for support no matter how they are feeling,that kind of talk will just make them worse

We need to stick together!

x

Edited by DaisyMai

Were you bullied at school?

Just a wee update.

I have been using the differin for nearly a month now and although last week my skin was a riot with nasty pussy spots and cysts they seem to now be drying up super fast.

I think you need to give it about 3-4 weeks on the differin before it starts to work but *touch wood* it now seems to be doing its thing.

I also started taking the Tetrasyl that the doctor subscribed. Have only been on it for 4 days so far but seems fine.

I'll let you all know how I'm doing but things are looking up.

Rather than putting someone down for sharing his/her feelings as you have done, suggest ways to help them out (as you have slightly done, but not much).

Just a wee update.

I have been using the differin for nearly a month now and although last week my skin was a riot with nasty pussy spots and cysts they seem to now be drying up super fast.

I think you need to give it about 3-4 weeks on the differin before it starts to work but *touch wood* it now seems to be doing its thing.

I also started taking the Tetrasyl that the doctor subscribed. Have only been on it for 4 days so far but seems fine.

I'll let you all know how I'm doing but things are looking up.

Up to three months, really. ;) The tetrasyl will help with the retinoid induced outbreak. Don't intend to stay on the anbiotic indefinitely though as that's not wise for the body.

Hi Rhona,

I completely understand your despair. I hope Differin works for you. Sounds like you're experiencing a good start.

I was on the pill for about 7 years and stopped in Feb. After 3 months I started to get breakouts but I added zinc, Evening Primrose oil, Vit D and a bunch of other stuff to my diet and it seems to be under control. If one starts I zap it with that Tanda device which actually seems to help a lot.

Now, 5 months later, after the initial panic of how horrific the acne would come back I was starting to get comfortable. I can handle this level of acne. But you said you gave up the pill back in August and it was about 8 months later that the acne came on full throttle. That scares me again! Did you have any outbreaks or controllable level of spots before that?

Thanks for your input. I'm going to look into Diff.

R.

Hi Rhona,

I completely understand your despair. I hope Differin works for you. Sounds like you're experiencing a good start.

I was on the pill for about 7 years and stopped in Feb. After 3 months I started to get breakouts but I added zinc, Evening Primrose oil, Vit D and a bunch of other stuff to my diet and it seems to be under control. If one starts I zap it with that Tanda device which actually seems to help a lot.

Now, 5 months later, after the initial panic of how horrific the acne would come back I was starting to get comfortable. I can handle this level of acne. But you said you gave up the pill back in August and it was about 8 months later that the acne came on full throttle. That scares me again! Did you have any outbreaks or controllable level of spots before that?

Thanks for your input. I'm going to look into Diff.

R.

Update - I have a massive RASH all over my neck. No spots really but the rash is really red and itchy.

Face is peeling and tight around my mouth and jawline.

I've not put any Differin on for 4 days because my skin is just too sore.

Edit - Yeah, I had the odd spot when I came off Yasmin but nothing like the breakout I experienced after about 8 months.

Edited by Rhona30

Hi Rhona, I was on differin + doryx + spironolactane for 6 months before I gave up and found acne.org. My skin never improved on it, differin was way to harsh or my skin was way to sensitive, I don't know. It actually seemed to make it worse. But every person is different. If it's starting to show results for you, you should definitely give it a shot for 3 months, and then decide.

Since I found acne.org, I wholeheartedly encourage everyone to give Dan's regimen a try. I'm 39 years old and on day 46 of the regimen. NOTHING has ever worked this well for me (I've had mild/moderate acne non-stop since puberty, and I've tried every prescription and OTC product out there). If you're interested in the details of my progress, I'm blogging here on Acne.org under "weevil's blog". I can't stress enough what a difference Dan's regimen & products have made for me. My skin is 98% clear right now, my pores are almost completely back to normal, and even my PIH and melasma have cleared significantly (to the point where in a few more weeks I think I'll be able to go makeup free again). If you do decide to try it, follow all his instructions to the letter, watch his videos, etc. The "what to expect" section was specially helpful, because the 1st week on the regimen as VERY HARD (my skin was extremely red, flaky and just horrible...almost too horrible to face the world...even with makeup). But it was most definitely worth it. By week 2 my skin had almost completetly turned around. I so wish I could personally thank him, I'm so thrilled with his products and the results I'm getting, the least I can do is spread the word to other acne sufferers. I hope you do try it!

I feel you, Im 34, and had acne since I was 18

im currently on tazorac gel which I think is a stronger "drug" form then yours

Ive been on it for like 2 years, I haven't really gotten the rashes

but I have had itchiness, until I realized that I needed to put a moisturizer on beforehand to reduce this

good luck..........looks like your finally seeing the results of sticking with things

Getting off of the pill for anyone who is or was acne prone is usually hell. I went through it twice: once at 22 and again now at 25. And it comes back as a horrible messy greasy disaster. You're not alone. The pill is the devil in disguise, I swear.

<3 Monica

I'm 33. Suffering from adult Acne. I stopped taking Yasmin last August and started getting spots on my cheeks and neck about 3 months ago, they seem to be getting worse by the day.

I took Accutane when I was about 18 years old and have pretty much been spot free since then, I found it to be a wonder drug.

Doc has given me gel (differin) for it and it seems to be making my skin worse. I’ve been taking it on and off for a few weeks. I’ve also been prescribed Tetralysal 300mg but I wanted to try just the differin first.

Can milk or oats cause acne? I’m eating a lot of porridge just now and wondered if the milk could be causing it. I’ve switched to soy milk because I know that cow’s milk has hormones.

Acne is HELL.

Acne is HELL.

I am 33 as well and took accutane when I was 18. Was completely clear for about 5-6 years and then acne returned full force in grad school. I have been fighting it ever since. This last year has been my best and I think it is because of differin, and cutting grains out of my diet. The important thing is to not over apply the differin, it only takes a very small amount to be effective. I can't stress that enough. Fortunately I have a dermatologist that properly explained this. (My previous attempts with retinoids all failed due to redness and dry skin from over applying.) I had a breakout 12 weeks into it, but stuck with it and it has been well worth it. My skin is certainly not perfect, but is a lot better. Pimples are smaller and go away much quicker when I do get them and my scars look better. I haven't obsessed over acne in a long time.

I have also found that getting a good nights sleep in a completely dark room helps tremendously (thanks to databased for all his research). I noticed an improvement when I started using Olay Sensitive Skin Gentle Foaming Face Wash. For a moisturizer I mix cetaphil with aloe vera gel in a bottle (50/50), and add a couple drops of jojoba oil in my palm and mix it each time I use it. I also try to eat a lot of greens and keep an overall healthy diet. These are all tips I found on this site and they work for me.

If you are bummed out, try to find something positive to reflect on each day. Staying physically active will improve your mood as well. Yoga is a great way to balance your mind and body.

hi rhona. :D I can relate to you as i am a 40 year old acne sufferer and have been since having my kids 9 years ago - it is exacerbated by the makeup I have to wear as a dancer. However I have been on Dan's regime for 2 months now and the results are amazing! After initial redness and flakiness for the first 2 weeks everyone is commenting on how fab my chin looks (the only place I get acne). The worst bit was the 2 weeks when i was red and flaky - however using joboba oil in the morning directly on my flakes and rubbing softly until all the flakes were gone sorted it! I now use joboba with my moisturiser every morning and night. It really helps smooth out your skin if you are wearing makeup as it addresses the flakiness. As for the redness I just had to grin and bear it - it was hard sure - especially as i am a performer but i just had to keep the faith. Now i cannot believe the difference. I also use bare minerals foundation powder (its on special on qvc this week!) as I needed to cover up. I also find using rosehip oil once a week great for healing.

Keep perservering and soon the time when you were red and flaky will be a distant memory and you will feel so good with how fab your skin will be. I never thought i would crack it, after suffering for so long and so badly but its true! Dan and all the other people here are legends!

Keep it up - do the regimen exactly as Dan recommends - add joboba oil to your moisturiser, use joboba separately as treatment for flakiness and you will be acne free soon xxx

my regimen

AM cetaphil cleanser (victoria health)

oxy on the spot

cataphil moisturiser with joboba oil added

PM same but once a week use trilogy rosehip oil after oxy on the spot and before the cetaphil.

Acne is HELL.

i drink rice milk. all other milk/dairy causes breakouts for me. what cleared my acne is sulfur products. i saw a lot of success with sulfur soap and i now use a prescription sulfur cream that is excellent. yes, acne is hell. good luck to you and never give up. it took me years of trial and error before i got my acne under control.