Notifications
Clear all

my azelaic acid log - no uv probs, no foetus probs, less irritation... why dont more ppl try this?

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/15/2010 7:18 am

I have tried quite a few things on acne. 12 years I have had it. I have tried external and internal antibiotics (zineryt worked well on my skin but tasted so foul it ruined my sex life). Internal antibiotics did nothing to help me after 5 months apart from make me vomit and so interfere with my job. BP is not so good if you have whole body acne as I feel being restricted to just wearing white for the rest of my life is a bit poop.

will be trying azelaic acid in the mornings and afternoons but washing it off at night so my sex life is not ruined again by foul taste/stopping to shower first, then reapplying/worrying about my partner ingesting the product.

i am surprised no one else using topicals seems to worry about this TBH.

azelaic acid is as effective as BP or retanoid acid but doesnt cause UV sensitivity or reportedly damage foetuses in the same way as Vit a derivatives. I heard it can cause hair growth though :S

aaanyway, from tomorrow I am on this stuff. I may try some tonight to see how it is in terms of consistancy.

diet - attempting half fruit and veg, less than quarter protein and less than quarter carb. All carbs are whole and complex... attempting all Low GI. (a few months in with some cheating, definately healthier!)

washing -

am) wash with water and flannel back, chest, neck, arm tops and face .hair=apple shampoo or vosene (has SA in it)

pm) water, maybe pure soap and flannel

moisturiser: nothing or jojoba oil, sometimes with teatree

side note: I am quite excited, GP says she wants me to see a dermatologist to work out an ideal combination because my back is so extensively spread. She was really nice and asked if I was thinking about being a GP myself due to my interest in healthcare and research into it.

:D .... I am attending med school open days this year. :)

I hope this can clear me in time for a festival this summer! I want to wear a bikini!

wish me luck :)

MemberMember
(@corsair)

Posted : 06/15/2010 10:45 am

Good luck, hopefully Azelaic Acid helps. We don't know the areas of your skin with acne, perhaps a little bit of BP 2,5% could help.

And post a picture in your bikini to cheer us up!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/15/2010 3:37 pm

week 1 -

day 1 of treatment, , day 8 of menstral cycle

15/06/10

took pictures of affected areas (face, neck, chest, back and tops of arms)

Used product on affected areas with help from glamorous hairy assistant

the gel is white which is interesting, so..... not all gels are clear.... learn something new every day.

skin feels slightly itchy in perticular areas but generally good and healthy after the first application

day 2 of treatment, day 9 of menstral cycle

16/06/10

Skin on face feels slightly drier and tighter than normal, more so on neck than anywhere else

back feels comfortable (better than BP which causes back to be really painful and itchy)

unsure of effect on acne lesions, have just come off of period and started using foaming washes again so hard to say. Definately not worse though

have not developed a beard yet...

day 3 of treatment, day 10 of menstral cycle

17/06/10

I have two new big painful bumps on my neck which seem to have spontaniously come out of nowhere. Elsewhere my skin is the same as ever really. Felt even drier today when I first applied - especially on the neck area but feels normal again now

day 4 of treatment, day 11 of menstral cycle

18/06/10

I have 7 active deep papules/cysts along my jawline which I think I have had coming for a while. At the end of my jojoba/caster oil washing technique time I had a jawline covered in these clogged pore bumps which have now begun to turn into these big spots so I thought this may happen. I will not blame on new treatment yet. Skin felt tight and dry after application but this soon completely faded

day 5 of treatment, day 12 of menstral cycle

19/06/10

Slightly itchy, tight and dry feeling around neck area

I popped several painful, big, red hard, puss filled jawline spots yesterday hurt loads but felt loads better afterwards.

They look bad though, hope I don't scar :(, I don't usually....

Used a little BP on jawline a few mins before hower to give things a kick as I read BP improves effect of azelaic acid treatment somewhat.

There is a slightly white very fine powdery residue on my skin where I applied the gel. It actually feels quite nice.

I have used all my gel (30g) so need to get my next script :(

so 30g = ‚£7.20 lasts 5 days

I am going to need at least 6 tubes a month!! crapsticks

day 6 of treatment, day 13 of menstral cycle

20/06/10

3 of the big spots along jawline are active, the rest seem to be dieing. There are still loads of little bumps there but less than before. I had a row of big ones along my back so I blame my brastrap for that. Boyfriend says back looks better today :)

I managed to squeeze the last out of my tube this morning so spread it sparingly across my face, chest, back and upper arms but now I have run out of gel completely :( I thought I had run out completely last night so I used vosene (contains SA) as a wash last night and this morning to keep breakouts at bay and kick start the finacea skin peeling action.. It made my skin itch annoyingly until the afternoon so I won't use it tonight or tomorrow morning.

can pick some finacea up again tomorrow. I am getting 2x 30g so it should last until the end of the month.

day 7 of treatment, day 14 of menstral cycle

21/06/10

could not use finacea, washed with PURE and used nothing else to wash my skin.

Skin looks smoother today but unsure how much of that is to do with vosene at this point.

some spots are itchy even! grrrr

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/15/2010 3:40 pm

Good luck, hopefully Azelaic Acid helps. We don't know the areas of your skin with acne, perhaps a little bit of BP 2,5% could help.

And post a picture in your bikini to cheer us up!

hehe if I have clear skin by august perhaps I shall

I have read adding BP improved azelaic acid outcomes but I will try it alone at first as I prefer not to bleach all my clothes if I don't have to.

I will share selected comparison photos as things improve.

MemberMember
(@kyle-1)

Posted : 06/19/2010 7:19 pm

Don't you hate how quick you run out of Finacea? I have been on it for 2 weeks, and used most of my 60g tube!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/20/2010 2:02 pm

Don't you hate how quick you run out of Finacea? I have been on it for 2 weeks, and used most of my 60g tube!

I know, I ran out already after 5 days (30g)!!! I am going to ask the doctor to write a prescription for 6 tubes cause at this rate i'll use 180g a month.

I am using vosene as a wash until I get my next tube of finacea, it makes my skin a little itchy but i'd rather use something than nothing at this point (vosene has salicylic acid in it) cause my stoopid jawline is starting to look scary.

getting my next tube tomorrow afternoon.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/22/2010 10:40 am

week 2

day 8 of treatment, day 15 of menstral cycle

22/06/10

Finacea used in afternoon today. It made my skin itch again but this went away within mins

I am ill, usually my skin clears up a bit (noticably) when I have a cold, flu or tummy bug so heres hoping for a silver lining

Still have the annoying spots on my jawline though the overall amount of tiny bumps are improving, back and a few extra hard painful bumps on my chest. My arms are looking better though.

I have taken photos and so far so similar really (today is day 1 of week 2) thought I have a method of analysing my skin in photos which allows me to see more of the extent of the acne spread and I can see a little difference there.

I also have noticed that my skin has been lightened... which I like :)

day 9 of treatment, day 16 of menstral cycle

23/06/10

Skin still about the same, Id like to believe i saw a significant improvement but I am not sure.

Trying not to be drawn into the placebo effect in the early stages.

skin not feeling itchy today so yay....

update 9pm - skin is looking much better actually, on my back

day 10 of treatment, day 17 of menstral cycle

24/06/10

My tops of arms are looking much better, pretty much all just red marks now rather than active spots. Any activity is very very negligable, all just flat red marks for once :)

Chest is looking pretty much the same as arms :)

Massive improvement on back, neck and jawline but still there are some active spots.

quite looking forward to taking the photos next week :)

at this rate a clear time at the festival is looking like an actual possibility :D

I have attached some pictures to show my progress from day 1 to day 8. the photo on the left is day 1.. subtle but noticable improvement

day 11 of treatment, day 18 of menstral cycle

25/06/10

Face and jawline - definatley worse today (I should be coming onto my period soon so there we go...)

Chest - the same as yesterday, No big spots though I did have to pop one new thing under my skin earlier... it is just a red and very calm flat mark now.

Back - Not sure really, my boyfriend says that the middle is much clearer.

Tops of arms - Same as yesterday

face and neck really tingled today after application, I am typing this just after applying so I don't know how long it will last but it feels really annoying.

have been eating crap recently where I have been ill indoors (chocolate, white bread) as well as good food (salads etc)

need to sort that out!

Finacea seems to have an immediate anti inflamitory effect on skin which makes spots less noticable pretty quickly. Makes sense as its a rosecea treatment....

day 12 of treatment, day 19 of menstral cycle

26/06/10

I am still ill so i feel like poop :(

my arms are still healing :) I have one tiny very feeble looking spot on my left arm which i dont even feel the need to squeeze

Chest is healing nicely, no spots with pressure, pretty much all i can see are inactive red marks (and bumps?)

Back, looks clearer but hard to tell

face, jawline and neck - looks better than yesterday but still lots of bumps and some hard spots on jawline :(

Skin feels irritated this morning after application, same as yesterday but it will go away pretty soon. My diet still needs to be improved.

day 13 of treatment, day 20 of menstral cycle

27/06/10

again, I am still ill

I have these bumps around my jawline that are hard and have lasted for more than a month not I think :( I hope they arent my first big scars.. :'( they have a pressure somewhere deep behind them so I don't think so... I think theya re just deep rooted spots at the mometn so I have to let them heal....more reason to improve the diet methinks. Use finacea along jawline last night to double up.

This itching "pinging" feeling in my skin is getting worse now but mayeb its cause I was in the sun a little yesterday. Skin is maybe more sensitive today than usual.

some new actives on arms but not much to speak of. Chest is looking clearer. back... don't know really. face.... hard to say. Ill let the photos on day 15 do the talking.

day 14 of treatment, day 21 of menstral cycle

28/06/10

itching skin again but less so this morning, used BP on stubborn jawline spots (managed to squeeze a few so they aren't scars, they weren't hard to squeeze so they shouldn't scar now)

Skin is looking much better, I have been wearing strappy dresses the past few days in the beautiful sunshine :) Not been this confident in a long time. xx

post-101684-1277381220_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1277381232_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1277381220_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1277381232_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/24/2010 5:01 am

some useful info about azelaic acid:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/..._092975-eng.php

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/24/2010 5:22 am

week 3

day 15 of treatment, day 22 of menstral cycle

29/06/10

jawline still a problem, chest looking good, arms still looking good. I have a few actives but things are definately bettter than before I started the treatment. I will continue until 6 weeks is up and see the doctor I saw originally maybe I will bring photos? I explained to one of the GP's at the centre about my improvement so far and she was very keen to see my continue and wrote me a prescription for 6 tubes of finacea (so glad I live in the uk :))

Photos were taken today, Change is more subtle in photos than I feel is realistic. I have beeked in my photo program and I can see a global change in my skin where it it calmer definately. My jawline and my back are still my most problematic areas but they have seen some significant improvement. Also need to change my sheets so I am doing so tonight. I will make photo day=sheets day :)

day 16 of treatment, day 23 of menstral cycle

30/06/10

Used some finacea last night on my jawline to double hit the hormonal acne.

Changed sheets last night. New towels this morning (usually I change my towel every day or every other day at worst)

Applied this morning all over as usual after washing with water.

I think I am accidently getting some of the finacea in my mouth in the day, like by touching my skin then later for some reason touching my lips cause my lips keep peeling and the inside of my lips feel quite tender and raw. Need to keep an eye on that.

arms look almost healed :)

jawline still an issue, My forehead has actually gotten a little worse.... :s only tiny little things like normal people get though... nothing deep or real so I will consern myself with this later.

some new spots formed on my shoulders and back :(

day 17 of treatment, day 24 of menstral cycle

01/07/10

Last night after showering I noticed a few things

1) my lips, including the inside were really sensitive (I would like to point out that I do not apply finacea on my lips so as before I will have to figue out how it is getting there!)

2)after my shower loads of dead skin came off my face, this is a really good sign. Whenever a treatment I use starts to work I get loads of dead skin come off so yay!

Whole area affected continues to improve :) though did have to (ok I didnt "have to") squeeze one spot on my right arm.

3) my boyfriends hand has begun to peel off ...... this morning made him aply it using gloves. He asked why I hadn't been affected like that and I said that I guess hyperkeratinosis is part of my acne so there is extra skinn cell mass to peel away on my skin and not on his. I have "extra" to loose lol

I am still ill realy :(

day 18 of treatment, day 1 of menstral cycle(booh!)

02/07/10

chest is clearer, arms continue to clear, back is... I dont know

face is random (some little thngs on my forehead but nothing to speak of, some blocked pores on cheeks)

Jawline is EVIL, actual evil. I came on today so its to be expected but I have never had it so bad on my jawline I dont think. hard horrible lumps need to go AWAY!! I feel so disgusting at the moment. I feel like I have a beard or barnicles or something... *grump*

decided to use Finacea (azelaic acid) again when I got in. Its been so hot recently that I have needed a showed when I get in from work as well as before bed. mostly I just wash with water so I am not over wahsing with detergent wash or anything, I is just so overly warm and sweated on... I do wonder if thats why I have had a worse time of it recently but I always used to get better in hot weather before so I dont know...

was so grumpy tonight I used some BP tonight along my jawline, I will wash off before bed but leave it on till boyfriend gets home from work just to give it a "kick". Noticed some skin circles peeling off over the hard lumps before I applied the BP which seemed hopeful but still the hard lumps remained... I am very unhappy about these lumps.

day 18 of treatment, day 2 of menstral cycle(Ahhhhh)

03/07/10

itching not as bad this morning which is interesting as I used BP last night and finacea twice yesterday. It hurts to lift my chin up cause of all the acne on my jawline...... My face fails so hard right now

The rest of my skin continues to look better though I do have active acne on my back there is much less of it.

day 19 of treatment, day 3 of menstral cycle (less angry today)

04/07/10

chest is maintaining at current level of acne

arms are maintaining at current level of acne

back is much smoother but difficult to judge and I refuse to obsess before photo day

boyfriend "ooh your back is so much smoother" rubs back :)

face is still mostly the same (hard really deep mid sized infected comodones) but no new things have appeared so yay...

I used vosene last night to wash all over as a boost again but just water this morning.

That may be why my back is smoother

day 20 of treatment, day 4 of menstral cycle (mood is great now)

05/07/10

Chest is still covered in bumps and has a few little red spots but is loads clearer than it used to be

arms have small red spots but nothing "angry"

face is mostly clear apart from bumps and jawline angry hard lumps as before

back is much clearer, smoother of bumps and with some (but fewer red comodones)

photo day tomorrow :D

Have eaten more chocolate than I have for a long time recently due to massive mood swings and have also had some cheese so ... :S

post-101684-1277839534_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1277839543_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1277839534_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1277839543_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@kyle-1)

Posted : 06/30/2010 9:00 pm

week 3

day 15 of treatment, day 22 of menstral cycle

29/06/10

jawline still a problem, chest looking good, arms still looking good. I have a few actives but things are definately bettter than before I started the treatment. I will continue until 6 weeks is up and see the doctor I saw originally maybe I will bring photos? I explained to one of the GP's at the centre about my improvement so far and she was very keen to see my continue and wrote me a prescription for 6 tubes of finacea (so glad I live in the uk :))

Photos were taken today, Change is more subtle in photos than I feel is realistic. I have beeked in my photo program and I can see a global change in my skin where it it calmer definately. My jawline and my back are still my most problematic areas but they have seen some significant improvement. Also need to change my sheets so I am doing so tonight. I will make photo day=sheets day :)

day 16 of treatment, day 23 of menstral cycle

30/06/10

Used some finacea last night on my jawline to double hit the hormonal acne.

Changed sheets last night. New towels this morning (usually I change my towel every day or every other day at worst)

Applied this morning all over as usual after washing with water.

I think I am accidently getting some of the finacea in my mouth in the day, like by touching my skin then later for some reason touching my lips cause my lips keep peeling and the inside of my lips feel quite tender and raw. Need to keep an eye on that.

arms look almost healed :)

jawline still an issue, My forehead has actually gotten a little worse.... :s only tiny little things like normal people get though... nothing deep or real so I will consern myself with this later.

some new spots formed on my shoulders and back :(

I have had the same problem with the lips! My lips have been so dry lately! I apply vaseline at night, and it takes care of it.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 07/01/2010 1:55 am

I have had the same problem with the lips! My lips have been so dry lately! I apply vaseline at night, and it takes care of it.

Ive been doing the same and its helping, I have also decided to apply vasaline before I shower in case it is running down onto my lips in the shower

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 07/02/2010 4:46 pm

week 4

day 22 of treatment, day 5 of menstral cycle

06/07/10

am) Stinging went away quickly today. I have red comodones on my neck and back, a few little ones on chest (not bad ones through) fading marks on my arms and obviously my jawline is still ASS!

photo today :)

pm) new active things I popped 1 on my cheek, 1 on my chest, 2 on my shoulder along bra line and popped two on my jawline who had it coming. ggrrrr.

my back spots are less but the ones I do have hurt...

also I have developed mild cystitis... result of more sugar I have been having recently?

They have run out of finacea, I ordered it ages ago and they say they are having trouble getting it from the manufacturers...... WTF!!! The technician saw how worried I looked and ordered the bottles in from another pharmacy which I will get on thursday..... ARGH! so 2 days without treatment... oh... yay (cannot discribe how annoyed I am about this)

final edit of the day: My acne isn't really much better as all in the photos I took. I am too sad about it right now to post any photos. Bring on week 6....

day 23 of treatment, day 6 of menstral cycle

07/07/10

am) didnt use finacea this mornign as i am about to run out, I am prioritising my jawline.

boo :(, I am cheerful cause I just beat my boyfriend in a bet conserning shaun of the dead and which newreader said "remioving the head or destroying the brain". I now have ‚£10. hehehe

pm) I will use vosene tonight on my skin to tide it over till the new finacea arrives at the pharmacy. My jawline has calmed down a little over today.

day 24 of treatment, day 7 of menstral cycle

08/07/10

My skin has calmed down quite a bit since the recent outbreak. I have been using vosene every day since running low on finacea so SA has been added to the mix but I think its calmed due to hormones.... bloody hormones. Sometimes I am tempted to get whats left of my old pills, crush them up, make a paste and apply to my skin to see if that helps... wouldn't it be funny if it did?

Jawline looks better but still managing to squeeze every day at the moment :(

day 25 of treatment, day 8 of menstral cycle

09/07/10

My skin is smoother to the touch all over but again this could be related to me using salicylic acid and my hormoones calming down. jawline is better but still has numerous hard lumps, some with stuff in them. Neck has little skin coloured bumps near the face (on soft tissue under chin area). Arms still calming down :)

back apparently looks better but i will judge by photo, it is definately smoother but I have a few new spots there :(. chest is difficult to judge.

This shall be photo day as it is the same day of my menstral cycle as the start of the log

Photo judgement so far.....

The next 2 weeks should be interesting. I have decided not tot take another photo until the 6 week mark as that is how long they ask you to wait until making judgements about a treatments effectiveness. So Six weeks will be 27th of July. No photos until then after today. The next one will be menstral month 2. This will be about a week after the 6 week "check up". Spoke to my friends sister in law who has acne running in her family. Her brother went on roaccutane, im so jealous... wish hair loss wasn't as much of a fear.

Photos are from day 1 and one menstral month into treatment. This is my most hopeful looking photo so this is the one I have chosen :) it does not represent the true assishness of my jawline but gives a good global representation of how things have improved. Much of my skin sort of looks the same as before but I can see and feel a difference so yay. My back is still covered in little red things all over it and some comodones... many new.... meh

day 25 of treatment, day 8 of menstral cycle

09/07/10

I am cutting down the posts in this log to days of significance. I will post when it has been 6 weeks since treatment then when it is 2nd menstral month then I will go menstral monthly to post pics on progress. Will always be day 8 of cycle. My skin looks much better today but I think tis got alot to do with how much sleep I get. My skin heals SO MUCH over night every day so i know I need to invest in better quality sleep. I have fallen off the foodwagon and need to get back on. Mc-sushi (yo sushi) gave me a bad belly again so I will not be eating there anymore I don't think. I will stick to the sushi place local to me which has never given me problems. Fish tastes fresher. x

day 27 of treatment, day 10 of menstral cycle

11/07/10

Everything looking a little more even and better. Got sunburned today though so may avoid the areas affected by the burn ,finacea wize, until its healed.

next definate update 27th july unless something interesting happens inbetween.

post-101684-1278712267_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1278712272_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1278712267_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1278712272_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@kyle-1)

Posted : 07/09/2010 5:13 pm

I noticed my skin was a lot smoother/softer while using finacea. Looks like you are making some good progress!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 07/09/2010 5:29 pm

I noticed my skin was a lot smoother/softer while using finacea. Looks like you are making some good progress!

thanks :) That really was the best photo but after looking at them all I can see at least some progress in all the photos when I analyse them closely.... This was the best comparison pic so I thoguht I would include it. I am still thinking about seeing a derm as I don't think it will clear my completely though. I will give it at least 2 months before seeing a dermatologist though. I may see if we can get nicomide in the UK as a secondary treatment.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 07/13/2010 3:22 am

week 5

day 29 of treatment, day 12 of menstral cycle

13/07/10

Everywhere I have used finacea is healing quite nicely. Had to skip it yesterday on my face, neck and shoulers cause I got a little burned and I fugure sunburn plus finacea = AAHHHHHHH

Used sudocram on my skin when I got home that day and the morning after too

I used some on my jawline this morning as I have some new painful lumps rising there now, don't know if its the sudocrem the suncream or just not using finacea which make be break out a little but it bothers me less than usual cause the rest of my skin is looking so much better. I just need to be more careful in the sun in future.

although the pharmacy is have trouble getting hold of any more of the product??!! don't really get what the problem is. I said I would come back in a week and pester them again for the details of the supplier they use and the manufacturer. I will then see if there is a problem with the manufacturer or if pharmacies use different suppliers and their one is perhaps a bit shite.

I just want to know I will have finacea to wear at the festival this summer if I need it.

day 31 of treatment, day 14 of menstral cycle

15/07/10

Yesterday I used finacea everywhere I normally do. By the evening my skin peeled off my neck but it didnt hurt so I dont think much damage was done. I didnt connect finacea to that until just now as my ear peeled too and I dont put finacea on my ears so I think I would have peeled anyway.

Yesterday I got really ill wich sickness, Dia....., headache, fever and cramps... it was horrible. I have not eaten yet today though so we shall see how things are going....

I have not used finacea yet as I eed help with my back. Boyfriend is coming back at about midday so I will do it then.... My jawiline was bad yesterday but better today (when I get ill my skin calms down.... apparently my skin has bigger fish to fry than my skin right now or something..) the rest of my body where I had to skip the finacea for a day or so had a little relapse so back on the wagon for me.

According to a GP I have a virus in my gut causing me a fever and back pain, great. Temp has gone from 37.8 to 38.1 now 38.2.... boo

day 33 of treatment, day 16 of menstral cycle

17/07/10

Did not wash for one whole day when I was ill cause I felt too delicate and tired to do anything other than sleep etc

Also too feeble for sheet change.

Both of these things have been done now, I started to breakout on my shoulders quite significantly so I washed with vosene before applying finacea this morning to give it a kick start again. Today I am stressed and annoyed at lack of food options....

day 34 of treatment, day 17 of menstral cycle

18/07/10

jawline all nodular and horrible still so used a thick layer of BP before bed last night which has improved things.

consideration: Want it to be clear by the time I go to the festival (2 weeks away) so may use both BP and finacea to speed things up. I would switch to using finacea twice a day but I don't have enough!!! No new new spots to report, all the same as the last few days.....

jawline - nodular/papular covering

Neck - covered in small to medium sized and often painful papules

chest - almost completely clear

shoulders - some new inflamed nodules/papules

back - some new inflamed nodules/papules especially on lower back

meh

washes using vosene (salicylic acid) this morning then applied finacea. tingles... tingles went away after about 30 mins

day 35 of treatment, day 18 of menstral cycle

19/07/10

Used finacea last night on jawline after showering, then in the morning washed as usual then used finacea again all over face, neck, back, chest

when I got in from work I applied BP over my jawline cause I think if I let it go on there as it is it will scar. I think its working. I think I will use BP on my jawline until I go to the festival cause I want to look clearer when I go and I refuse to allow my skin to scar. Can feel the heat from the nodules along my jawline ggrrrrr

Have been eating badly though and ill :(

Good news, my pharmacy has ordered the last of my finacea! woot!! It will be there tomorrow apparently. I will order more in when I go tomorrow ...... way ahead of time so I can pick it up before the festival. I think I will start using jojoba oil in the evenings again. I am starting to look old/dry in the skin :(

week 6

day 36 of treatment, day 19 of menstral cycle

20/07/10

am) OW OW OW OW OW

used BP again last night after putting some on in the afternoon, this may have been overkill?

It stings like a motherfucker now all under and along my jawline after finacea application.

It doesnt look too bad but I will give BP a miss today. On the plus side it has been working but still tonight I feel my skin deserves a rest. wish I had some aloe gel for it. I feel treating it like a chemical burn would be wise if it still stings later.. I don't think it will though. It already feels a little better.... I may get some aloe today. Another issue is that I keep rubbing my skin hard with the flannel along the jawline to remove any dead skin. Mostly cause its satisfying to see bits of dead skin come off. I have been really depressed about my skin recently... crying again and feeling extra resentful of people... especially girls younger than I am who have perfect skin... They are everywhere. I need to sort this out, I don't want to be one of those old women who hates younger women.

pm) stuck it out, spent all day with stiff neck skin but it doesn't hurt anymore. Acne has really gone down there actually. Managed to squeeze one spot there which was hurting but its pretty much smooth on my jawline now. Will still use nothing tonight. Give my skin some R&R until tomorrow. Will not rub jawline in shower!

day 37 of treatment, day 20 of menstral cycle

21/07/10

Bad things)

My jawline spots are resiliant bastards!! they look much less noticable since I nuked them with a thick layer of BP a few days ago but the surrounding skin payed the price and is now a little leathery :( But I feel much more confident. I just wish it didn't look so aging...

Good things)

1)The rest of my skin continues to improve :)

2)I have a repeat prescription going now and finacea is now back in stock, i got the rest today

3)I bought SLS free soaps today (one dead sea and one aloe vera)

4)The girl working in the health shop and me got talking about acne. She is a long term sufferer too. Lymecyclin is working for her but she appears to be under the impression that it will continue working after she stops treatment.... I hope it does work like that for her but I have my doubts. We talked about it. I said I hope it does work but to try not to be too disappointed if it doesnt, there are tonnes of other things to try is she developes a resistance to it so then I told her about acne.org and reccomended jojoba as a moisturiser. She seemed pretty happy but I left quickly as I was worried I would actually manage to geek out about acne :S

I will use the aloe tonight as well as wash my sheets ready for tomorrow. I think leaving my sheets on too long is why I broke out last time.

Going to see my doctor on saturday. I will take photos on friday night and make a before and after on my camera or something for her to look at with me. I think I will ask to be sent to a derm as she suggested though to come up with an ideal combination and talk about the long term effects of finacea if I do choose to continue with it.

day 39 of treatment, day 22 of menstral cycle

23/07/10

ok so I am about to come on my period, it is almost 6 weeks into my finacea experiment.

I have uploaded pics of my back as they improve. There is definately noticable improvement.

I am still peeling on my nack and jawline due to using BP twice in one day but now I feel it was a nessisary kick up the arse for my jawline acne which I believe is a different creature entirely than the rest of my acne as it is so unique and stubborn.

My chest is......clear :)

My arms hint at underlyring activity but look clear to anyone who isn't me

face mostly clear apart from the jawline and very bottom of face

jawline, still active but less inflamed, hard and painful/itchy than it was ... more leathery :(

back is much smoother now :)

day 40 of treatment, day 23 of menstral cycle

24/07/10

Saw my GP who amused me by chasing a fly around her office trying to kill it after it started annoying both of us .... I like her

she agreed that it had improved but that I still needed to see a dermatologist to sort my skin out. Especially the jawline and my back. She says my skin was getting dry on my back. I will start using aloe vera at night with jojoba oil to counter the dryness. Ill shall to think about what to say at my derm appointment.

day 44 of treatment, day 23 of menstral cycle

28/07/10

about to go to a festival, about to not use finacea for 5 days.... crap.....

bought facial wipes with salicylic acid so here is hoping they are useful in keeping things at bay while I am away... I know I am going to break out big time but I cant use finacea while I am away. needs to be removed every day...

anyway, I still am waiting for my derm appointment,

jawline is still my worst area followed by my back... the rest is barely noticable.

byee xx

post-101684-1279919663_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1279920460_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1279919663_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1279920460_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@kyle-1)

Posted : 07/23/2010 5:48 pm

Looking good! Glad to see Finacea is working for you!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 08/06/2010 6:17 pm

week 8

(3rd - 9th Aug)

day 53 of treatment, day 11... ish of menstral cycle

06/08/10

My jawline is ASS!!! its worse now than it was before, big hard nodules of EVIL.

The rest of my acne is very calm.

I got back from sonosphere on monday, 4 days I lived filthily in a tent with no finacea and now shower. I used SA wipes to keep evilness at bay and the rest of my body seemed to behave.

I have some facial (cheek and forehead) spots as well at jawline and a few on my upper back but mostly things are looking as smooth as before I left. I have taken photos but I will leave the jawline stuff out as I am choosing to ignore it until I have been back on the finacea wagon for at least another few weeks.

I will post my back picture though

post-101684-1281136604_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1281136604_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 08/13/2010 8:51 am

week 9

(10th - 16th Aug)

day 60 of treatment, day 18... ish of menstral cycle

13/08/10

My back has had a few spots and my chest has had 2 little short lived ones as have my arms (one each)

My jawline is still crap but there appears to be fewer congested pores than before... I'm hoping they clear out soon :S

I read about nizoral being anti androgen, If androgens cause my PMS flareups then perhaps nizoral will treat it locally? Have used vosene to was but often have been just rinsing with water. before applying Finacea.

My skin does look good overall and I am still confident to wear strappy tops in a way I was never before. My boyfriend has commented on how smooth my back skin is and I have to agree, I have been able to touch my back and chest without feeling disgusted for weeks now which is LOVELY.

I hope my future derm does not mess this up :(, I just need to clear my jawline!

Also have noticed I am less emotional now I have gone back to eating whatever the hell I like. I think its psychological rather than chemical although I read recently in a book about happiness that those who try to cut out most carbs find that they have increased levels of depression so maybe there is something in that. I do have less energy at the moment and I have had thrush which I did not have when I cut out sugar at all.

I think I will have to redesign my diet and strike a balance.

x

day 61 of treatment, day 19... ish of menstral cycle

14/08/10

I am off to work in a mo (boooh saturday) so just wanted to report, as usual my skin looks clearer and calmer in the morning and I got my derm appointment sent through. Its for in the week so I will have to get some time off for it... not always easy

its also for late october! so over 2 months away.

At least it gives me some times to experiment before some authoritarian "tells" me what I should do to my skin. Have already stipulated that hormones, antibiotics and accutane are OUT in the referal.... they are sure going to love me arent they? :S

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 09/22/2010 3:44 pm

day 100 of treatment, day 9 of menstral cycle

22/09/10

I started doing yoga a few weeks ago and its made such a huge dfference to my life best of all I think its having a really positive effect on my skin. I am so much clearer around my jawline than I have been for quite some time.

I still have to derm appointment in october, I think he may well tell me to go away when I arrive but we shall see.

Currently I am using finacea in the morning every day after my morning shower

In the evening I remove my makeup and then put some tea tree oil on my jawline, face and neck.

I have one new spot today, I think its stress from a work situation, I have named it after the situation. I have found myself being more mindful since doing yoga which is great.

ill report back in a month again hopefull with some pics just before my derm appt.

day 101 of treatment, day 10 of menstral cycle

23/09/10

Spoke too son, 6 spot inflamitory outbreak on jawline and a few new spots on shoulders

poop

MemberMember
(@weelassie1984)

Posted : 10/02/2010 3:31 pm

Hi crystal_willow, how are you today? Do you have some new pictures? Would you recommend finacea for red marks (scars)?

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 10/13/2010 3:59 pm

Hi crystal_willow, how are you today? Do you have some new pictures? Would you recommend finacea for red marks (scars)?

Heya,

I think Finacea is better for preventing acne rather than healing the skin though it is said it can lighten and reduces redness which may be good depending on what kind of scarring or marking you have.

Its done wonders for my skin really :)

I am going to post new pics and update on my regime in a few days (always do it on the same day of my menstral cycle to make sure its scientifically sound for comparison). Friday will be picture day.

At the moment I am washing with vosene or dead sea soap in the shower in the morning

Applying Finacea to my face and neck

wearing Maybelline Pure Liquid Mineral Foundation in Ivory

changing my clothes when I get in from work

using face wipes before bed

applying jojoba oil with tea tree oil in it before bed

I am also now doing yoga and eating more fruit and veg than I used to

I also stress less due to yoga :) and improvements at work.

see you in a few days

MemberMember
(@uklady)

Posted : 10/14/2010 7:10 pm

I've just started Finacea (day 1!) so have read your Blog with great interest. I think your skin looks a lot better.

The only thing I would say re. the jawline breakouts (which I get too) is the scrubbing and picking at painful hard nodules will def. make them more infected and hang around longer. You really need to not touch them at all, apart from applying the topical

Also...I have had a couple IPL sessions, which didn't seem to do much in terms of preventing new breakouts but did really help with zapping existing spots...might be something you want to try for the jawline ones? It's a laser with blue light, green light (and another one...red maybe??), the blue light kills the acne bacteria and the green diminishes redness. I pay ‚£75 per session and am treated by a qualified doctor (NHS reconstructive plastic surgeon who sidelines in non-surgical cosmetic procedures).

Hope you get on well with the derm. I got an referral, am slightly dreading it.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 10/15/2010 2:18 pm

I've just started Finacea (day 1!) so have read your Blog with great interest. I think your skin looks a lot better.

The only thing I would say re. the jawline breakouts (which I get too) is the scrubbing and picking at painful hard nodules will def. make them more infected and hang around longer. You really need to not touch them at all, apart from applying the topical

Also...I have had a couple IPL sessions, which didn't seem to do much in terms of preventing new breakouts but did really help with zapping existing spots...might be something you want to try for the jawline ones? It's a laser with blue light, green light (and another one...red maybe??), the blue light kills the acne bacteria and the green diminishes redness. I pay £75 per session and am treated by a qualified doctor (NHS reconstructive plastic surgeon who sidelines in non-surgical cosmetic procedures).

Hope you get on well with the derm. I got an referral, am slightly dreading it.

Thanks for the comment and good luck to you. Finacea is definately the best thing I have tried for my acne ever! It will probably sting at first and this effect may well last for a while but its well worth it.

I couldnt really help squeezing the nasty ones, the pressure is really painful but I know I shouldn't. Luckily the really horrible hard ones are pretty much gone (fingers crossed)

I cannot afford laser treatment at this stage in my life, one day perhaps. I work in a socialcare setting so not getting the big bucks unfortunately.

I have noticed a big effect when I stop using jojoba and teatree oil so thats a definate keeper

today is picture day so yay!!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 10/15/2010 2:42 pm

week 18 -

day 122 of treatment, day 8 of menstral cycle

15/10/10

Hiiii,

My skin is so much better than it used to be. I am also less stressed and taking a more relaxed view on my health. I feel this has been helped by my acne going down though. Its mucheasier not to obsess over each food choice when your face isnt full of infection and pressure pain.

I learned alot so I wouldn't take back my experiments with foods. I certainly eat better now than I did 2 years ago and alot of thatis thanks to acne obsession.

Photo day!!!

I was very excited aboout this cause although I am by no means 100% clear its amazing to put the pictures together to compare.

my back and jawline are still my main problem areas but oh my god are they better than before. My acne is much less noticable now to other people now.

here is my back for your approval :)

post-101684-1287171735_thumb.jpg

post-101684-1287171735_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@weelassie1984)

Posted : 10/17/2010 7:59 am

My derm put me on tretinoin 0.05% (Acid A Vit) last week. I asked him about azelaic acid (in Holland there is only a generic brand, no Finacea, Skinoren, Azelex...) but he said all this cream does is bleach your skin. He thinks it's too harsh for me. I have been using Differin for 3 months. It did help a little but not satisfactory according to my derm. That's why he put me on tretinoin. I hope I won't get an other initial breakout... I'm trying it out on my forehead at the moment before I will put it on my cheeks (problem area).

How is you face doing? Do you have pictures of that too?