Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DC_KalEl84

Thoughts on Septra DS

First, a little background:

I started getting acne around 15 years old or so and it got pretty bad for a while, resulting in my dermatologist putting me on Accutane. It worked, but the acne returned. So, long story short, I ended up going on Accutane 3 more times and it worked less and less each time. I went to a different derm for light treatments, which made it worse, and eventually returned to my original derm and started using Benzaclin gel, which has been the only thing that has worked. I've used it for almost 5 years now. I'm 26 now and I still get acne, but it's pretty mild. I don't know what would happen if I stopped using Benzaclin, though. I have more acne on my back and chest than my face, but even that is nowhere near as bad as it was when I was 15.

Anyway, I visited my dermatologist again to get a new Benzaclin prescription, and he wants me to try some new things for a month. He prescribed Ziana and Epiduo gel (to be used on alternating nights) and at first he prescribed Solodyn. I'm allergic to all tetracycline antibiotics, and Solodyn has minocycline, so he changed the prescription to Septra DS. I haven't taken any type of internal antibiotic for acne since the last time I took Accutane, 8 years ago. I don't think my acne is bad enough for me to use two topical gels and a pill, and I'm not sure I like the idea of taking anything internally for it anyway. But I'm on the fence.

For those who have taken Septra DS, did it work? Did you have any side effects? Did the acne get worse after you stopped? Do you think I should take it? I hate to second-guess my dermatologist, but I do think I know more about things work for my skin. He's seen me all of twice in the past 5 years, for 5 minutes each time. Advice from those who have taken Septra DS, or used Ziana or Epiduo, is greatly appreciated!

Edited by DC_KalEl84

All I can offer is that my derm said that behind accutane, he's seen great success with septra.

All I can offer is that my derm said that behind accutane, he's seen great success with septra.

Would like to here others stories too. I too was prescribed Bactrim DS but still avoiding taking it. Trying to just take probiotics for right now, but if things dont get better in a month or so then i will prolly end up taking it.

I personally don't think Septra or Bactrim should be used for acne. The medication is such an important med for stopping MRSA, and one of the few that can be used at home without requiring hospitalization (like Vancomycin IV would require).

All this over-use of antibiotics is only going to make bacterial resistance a bigger problem and we'll all end up back in the dark ages, dying from an infected cut.

Well, I decided not to fill my Septra prescription. From what's been said here and some other info I've read online, I just don't think it's worth it, at least not for me. I really can't understand why my derm would even prescribe it for me. My acne is not that bad. It's certainly not as bad as it used to be, and it seems like overkill to take an antibiotic of any kind in addition to using two topical gels.