Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
butterflywings

Best Way to Apply Foundation?

What is the best way to apply foundation so it covers up redness and acne but still looks natural? For example, I see celebrities who have such flawless makeup and I can't even come close to applying my foundation like that at all.

I'm currently using 2 foundations, depending upon my skin needs for that day: Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Plus and Make Up For Ever HD Foundation. These foundations are supposed to be full cover but my flaws still show through. I'm thinking my application needs work but I don't know what to do. I bought the purple blending sponge from Sonia Kashuk and have used both a foundation brush and highlighting brush to blend. It just doesn't look right. Suggestions?

Honestly...Make up forever is usually for people that have good skin, espically the HD MUFE that has a light weight coverage. I recommand you using Revlon Colorstay foundation, it's full coverage and lastest a long time. Plus it comes it one for oliy and dry skin.

Look on YouTube; there are tons and tons and tons of tutorials on makeup for covering blemishes along with the products each poster uses. I've found some fun tutorials there, myself. :)

i used to use mat velvet, and i applied it with a regular wedge sponge. i would wet the sponge first with water, then squeeze it out, just to moisten it a little bit, and so it doesnt soak up all the foundation. then id just kind of stipple it on with the sponge. doing that worked great for me, and covered almost everything.

I stipple with a sponge. I don't wet it, I use it dry. I use about a quarter size amount of Revlon Colorstay for each cheek. First I'll smear it on, the start stippling. I do it in layers, that tends to do the trick for my red marks. I have tons of red marks, and they take forever to fade.

Edited by electric_feel

A great primer is the key! i have very red skin/redmarks and a little acne and VERY oily skin. For a primer i used perfekt perfection gel, which is tinted so it helps redness/smooths skin. Then i use Makeup Forever Duo Mat, which is powder, but i put that on top of the primer after i give the primer time to soak in. I use the kabuki brush from makeup forever. Its soo soft.

Just make sure u find the right primer! that helps any typle of makeup go on smoother and last longer.

i agree a primer is the key i have tried so many of them mac,estte lauder ,nars,,but nothing compares to Monistat Chafing Gel,its cheaper and works just as good if not better than the other primers out there.click here

i agree a primer is the key i have tried so many of them mac,estte lauder ,nars,,but nothing compares to Monistat Chafing Gel,its cheaper and works just as good if not better than the other primers out there.click here

Does the Monistat break you out at all?

Yep, I use my fingers. Other methods either put it on too heavily or too lightly for me. Honestly, I feel like I can clean my fingers better than a brush or sponge, since there aren't as many places for bacteria to hide (my fingernails are short). ^_^

i just think brushes give you a more of an even finish and better coverage. and i actually use less makeup with the brushes.i also wash my brushes daily so theres no hidden bacteria in my brushes.to each its own i guess.

Today I couldn't even get my makeup to look half way decent! Everything just sunk into my pores and looked awful. I think I washed my face 3 times and tried redoing my makeup. Nada. Sill looked awful. I can't figure out how some days my makeup looks good and other days (most days) it looks visible and blah.

Today I couldn't even get my makeup to look half way decent! Everything just sunk into my pores and looked awful. I think I washed my face 3 times and tried redoing my makeup. Nada. Sill looked awful. I can't figure out how some days my makeup looks good and other days (most days) it looks visible and blah.

This happens to me too. This morning, I had to reapply foundation to one of my cheeks. After the foundation was dry I put pressed powder over it, then blush. When I applied the blush I noticed that there was a patch of skin on my cheek that was absorbing more blush than there rest of my face. So I had this red circle on my cheek that looked disgusting. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't exfoliate last night like I normally do. I think exfoliating and probably a primer would have helped.

I've been playing around with both a brush and sponge for stippling. I don't know which one I prefer yet. The brush gives better coverage but I think the sponge makes the makeup look more natural. Ugh..I wish I could hire someone to do my makeup for me very day! :D

Use a thick and, obviously, full coverage foundation made for oily skin, like Revlon's Colorstay. If you haven't noticed, it's quite popular here! I also apply it with a fresh wedge sponge each day but I spray rosewater (regular water is fine) into the actual foundation. I think it looks cakey any other way...no offense to anyone else :ermm:. You'll notice it goes on looking dewey and fresh instead of thick and dry which I think completely throws off the color - it ends up looking chalky. I always start in the center of my face (inner corner of eyes, above the cheeks; bottom lip out to jaw line; in between eyebrows out to my hair line) because then I think the color blends into your natural color better at your jawline. I start by wiping it on but then go back and dab everywhere cause imo this creates better coverage. Personally, I notice sweeping/wiping works better in some areas and dabbing in others.

The best tip I have is to keep it as light as possible! Layer only where you need the coverage - I really feel the more you put on the sooner it'll look bad, cakey and oily. If I need more than this foundation I sometimes use a powder concealer on top of the foundation before it dries or this cream concealer by Makeup Forever under my foundation - the powder usually works best for me.

Lastly, it's really hard to cover certain spots completely. Sometimes we just have to accept there's only so much we can do and be happy with what we have covered and know that at least we knocked down the redness on others. That's how I look at it anyway lol

I recommend applying by stippling.

I've tried the MUFE foundation you have and it definitely works with this method. You should use the MAC 187 or 130 brush (the latter is smaller, denser and more precise) - to be honest, once I discovered them, I can't go back. Basically you stipple (little foundation dots, like pixels) and then buff lightly. There are cheaper dupes for the brush, although you know, it's a good important tool...

I'm certain that it will cover better for you & looks very natural.

Butterflywings, what kind of brush are you using? If you're using a cheap brush you are going to get cheap results which look streaky and messy on your skin. The reason the sponge looks more natural is because the make up is sinking into the sponge and not all of it gets on your skin. Therefore, you're wasting the expensive make up that you have. Try using a MAC190 or 187 brush, they are expensive but worth it. However, if you don't want to pay the price there are always Sigma brushes which are cheaper, and the closest to MAC brushes as you will ever find. Here's the website: http://www.sigmamakeup.com/

Edited by Maria V