Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
03GT

My face is flawless now, here's what I did

Cliffs: Suffered from severe acne, went on accutane which had me cleared up for a while but acne began coming back, started the ketogenic diet to lose weight, complexion is 1000% better among other things. I'm 25yrs old.

As we all know, triggers and causes are different based on the individual. So this may not work for you. Anyway, here's a little of my background...

Type of skin I have:

Oil Skin (took about 4 hours to get fully saturated)

Blotchy and red sometimes some areas (mainly around nose)

Very red pustules currently but use to also suffer from painful cysts.

Recent Activity:

Went on accutane March 09 til August 09. (Had very severe acne at this point, at the age of 24!)

Around February, my face began getting oily again and started to get breakouts.

Went on Bactrim, helped a lot I think, and allowed me to experiment with triggers:

For me they were orgasms, high GI carbs (mainly the sugar sucrose), and soy

I had it controlled for the most part but I was beginning to get small pimples everywhere again. I've been into weightlifting for about 7 months now and just got down with bulking. Bulking is basically eating a lot over your recommended daily intake and weightlifting so that you put on muscle. I did what was called a clean bulk, eating very nutritious and only low GI carbs (whole wheat rice, veggies, wheat bread, etc). Last week I decided it was time to lose the gut (not too big, fortunately), which is sometimes an unnecessary byproduct of bulking. To do this, I resorted to a very common diet used by individuals trying to lose fat while retaining lean muscle mass - the ketogenic diet. This diet is very high fat and very low carb. The basic premise behind it is that your body normally relies on glucose attained from the breakdown of carbs. Whether these carbs care broken into glucose molecules quickly (High GI foods) or slowly (low GI foods), they both cause the pancreas to release insulin-which tells cells to absorb glucose from the blood. High GI foods cause a more severe insulin spike and those that have any inefficiency in this process will experience harsh side effects (diabetes, -glycemias, etc). The ketogenic diet breaks your dependence on carbs and relies on ketones, which come from the breakdown of triglycerides (aka fats). The diet has roots in the Adkins diet and the South Beach Diet (developed by a cardiologist) and is very safe if done correctly. I did this for the sole purpose of losing some pounds but so far what I've experienced is: more energy (takes about 2 weeks for your body to adapt), no more sinus problems, and clear complexion. My face still gets oily but not nearly as fast, and my complexion is so even now and I don't have any new pimples. And this is all from only 2 weeks on this diet. I looked into this a little further and this is something a lot of people had experienced. It all seems to revolve around insulin insensitivity.

I looked into this a little further and this is something a lot of people had experienced.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to change just one thing in a diet, so was it anything whatsoever to do with fat, or was it to do with insufficient calories to maintain weight, or something else affected but not controlled for? For example, prisoners of war often report clearing of skin problems, gingivitis, etc., though they're not on a high-fat diet -- they're simply starving.

Change = low carbs. Result = no more insulin spikes and decreased acne.

How are you holding up 03gt?

very good, I still get one every now and then but I still have those triggers that cause 1 to spring up every now and then.

How long to expect to stay on your on the ketogenic diet? Have you incorporated some cheat days in there, or are you being strict?

Wow... That is so completely and utterly dangerous. Ketones should never be used as a source of energy unless we're in starvation mode or something similar. High concentrations of ketones results in ketoacidosis which is usually associated with diabetics but I guess since another new dangerous fad diet has come out it will be associated with this too. Acidosis can kill as the acidic nature of our body prevents the normal metabolic reactions that keep us alive... I would strongly advise you to return to normal eating habits if I were you. It's either a gut or permanent damage to your body - perhaps even death in an extreme case. Be careful!

Edited by Niamh414

How long to expect to stay on your on the ketogenic diet? Have you incorporated some cheat days in there, or are you being strict?

I do refeeds (w/ carbs) for one day every 2 weeks, and oddly enough I have pimples the next day. But I guess mainstream science is finally acknowledging carbs as a trigger for acne. Other than that, my skin and alltogether-complexion are great.

Wow... That is so completely and utterly dangerous. Ketones should never be used as a source of energy unless we're in starvation mode or something similar. High concentrations of ketones results in ketoacidosis which is usually associated with diabetics but I guess since another new dangerous fad diet has come out it will be associated with this too. Acidosis can kill as the acidic nature of our body prevents the normal metabolic reactions that keep us alive... I would strongly advise you to return to normal eating habits if I were you. It's either a gut or permanent damage to your body - perhaps even death in an extreme case. Be careful!

I'm not diabetic.

Add a big quantity of water in your daily routine, it should be 1 and 1/2 litre in morning time. it removes to toxic substances from your body through urine.

Recently I have been eating red meat often (beef), and bacon regularly. I ate less bread than usual and practically no sugar. My face cleared up rather remarkably. I made a cake this weekend and now my acne flared up big time again. Not sure if it is related yet, so I'll try to get back to the same routine I had over the past three weeks to see if I clear up again. I was even jerking off almost daily with no breakouts.

Edited by Chocobot

Recently I have been eating red meat often (beef), and bacon regularly. I ate less bread than usual and practically no sugar. My face cleared up rather remarkably. I made a cake this weekend and now my acne flared up big time again. Not sure if it is related yet, so I'll try to get back to the same routine I had over the past three weeks to see if I clear up again. I was even jerking off almost daily with no breakouts.

congrats on your misery-free jerk offs. Try substituting artificial sweetners into your diet, these have no adverse side effects for me atleast.

You lose zinc and it also increases androgen levels after blowing a load. Something like that.

OP, what foods were eating to reach over 2,000 calories.

I'm trying to eat 3,000 calories a day to get bigger, so i'm curious to see what low carb foods you are eating.

Same for me, I need to raise my caloric intake. Beef seems to do a good job really. Right now I'm breaking out bad and I haven't eaten any in a while. When I did my face cleared. Might be unrelated but I have to eat beef again to find out.

Jerking off really triggers acne or new pimples for men? How does that work?!

The guy below mentioned the whole zinc and androgen aspect of ejaculation, but as a molecular biologist I can tell you that there are so many different signaling pathways in the body that we don't understand in their entirety. To add to this, we know to a degree how acne is caused by we don't know all of the details. So for me, I just take it at face value. If I ejaculate, I'll get acne the next day or 2 and that's all I need to know for now.

You lose zinc and it also increases androgen levels after blowing a load. Something like that.

OP, what foods were eating to reach over 2,000 calories.

I'm trying to eat 3,000 calories a day to get bigger, so i'm curious to see what low carb foods you are eating.

Although it's possible to bulk on the ketogenic diet, I do not choose to do so. You need the energy you get from carbs IMHO. From what I've read the gains are slower on keto, and I've find my muscles stay sorer longer on this diet. If you want to attempt it, then eat cheeses, those greasy Jimmy Dean sausage thingies, more meat, nuts, and all other kinds of keto foods. If you're counting your calories correctly, you will see it doesn't really take all that much food to get to 3000 calories.