Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Dangers of doxycycline for 4-5 years?

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm sorta anxious and wanted to ask again. I've been on doxycycline for 4-5 years now, and my dermatologist would not give me a prescription, citing not wanting to risk resistance/ "problems"

Doxy is the only thing that's worked for me, I still have bad acne. Are there really dangers with being on it indefinitely? I figure if I've ruined doxy for other problems, i've already done it, so why not keep going.

input would be great. Thanks!

5 years? do you take a rest or something (of antibiotics)?

If you take it for three months, when your are clear you should stop. Then follow a regimen to try to stop your acne and if you find the right regimen, it works (I mean some pimple from time to time but totally controllable. I would sugest to research and taught your body to deal with bacteria by itself and not depend always on antibiotics. Antibiotics should be given to clear the face and then stop, not in mild cases with just one or two little pimples.

Research, find your regimen. If acne get out of control, then back to antibiotics for some months and stop, but always trying to have a regimen as a goal.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm sorta anxious and wanted to ask again. I've been on doxycycline for 4-5 years now, and my dermatologist would not give me a prescription, citing not wanting to risk resistance/ "problems"

Doxy is the only thing that's worked for me, I still have bad acne. Are there really dangers with being on it indefinitely? I figure if I've ruined doxy for other problems, i've already done it, so why not keep going.

input would be great. Thanks!

The longer you're on a medication, the more you risk from it. Including antibiotic resistance. You're not just risking 'your' body's bacterial resistance, but anyone else you come into contact with if you were to transfer your resistant bacteria to them (if you have resistant bacteria). Bacteria are constantly mutating and you could conceivably be causing a super bug to develop if the bacteria continually evolve in order to fight your antibiotic.

Antibiotic resistance is a massive, huge problem that will only loom worse and worse in the coming years. Someday soon we may all be back in the dark ages of pre-penicillin therapy due to antibiotic resistance and then people will die once again from a simple infected scratch.

intersting, thanks for the input.

i was curious if this "antibiotic worry" was as big a deal as they say it is. i had just figured if i lose the doxy class of antibiotics, who cares, i got a few more :)

Antibiotics are bad for your body anyway, they throw it out of whack. I've had some kind of proliferation of candida (including a persistent yeast infection) for two and a half years following a few months of antibiotics. I've stopped going to doctors for the yeast, it doesn't help.

Just curious if anyone had input? I had one derm tell me it wasnt an issue, another say it was. I've also been on Duac for a while... that has clindamycin, wondering if that's an issue :(

beyond the public health concerns, I'm worried a bit... mostly about whether I'm going to make my acne even harder to tame in the future? My acne is stable on my regime, but I still have a fair amount of active stuff.

beyond the public health concerns, I'm worried a bit... mostly about whether I'm going to make my acne even harder to tame in the future? My acne is stable on my regime, but I still have a fair amount of active stuff.

Probably. My acne got worse after doxy.

If you still have acne why even both with doxy? I understand you might have much more severe acne without it but have you taken time off of it to even see? Maybe take a break for a couple months and see how your face looks. It might look better if you quit while you're ahead and break the habit yourself instead of waiting for resistance. Heck, after 5 years you might already have resistance.

i have been on doxy for over 2mths, no real improvement, i think my face today only looks 10% better than it did 10 weeks ago. I don't know why (seeing the dermo this month) but I think it may be due to my body's resistance to antibiotics now.

I have been on a/b's for other health issues for 2 years, on and off constantly and then hit by a immune system backlash. The higher or more i was given, at the end the worse i felt.

I detest being on Doxy, i hate being on a/b or anything that is interfering with my body's natural balance, but I don't have much choice. I don't have that choice now cause this acne is out of control and I am 31....this is not normal.

I think if u have a choice to be off doxy and be reasonably clear then you should give ur liver and kidney's and of course ur immune system a break.

Great, clear skin may never happen, the clearer we get the more we want and some of us have to understand that we are not going to have flawless perfect skin like some. BUT if u can achieve skin that u can have a neighbour pop over and u can answer the door cause u know ur face won't scare them......then give the doxy a rest.

goodluck with whatever u do.

im on doxy 50mg day 9 and i have had not notice any new breakouts.. i think doxy working for me :)

why not take a/b forever? isnt it good cause it kills bad bacteria...

i have been on doxy for over 2mths, no real improvement, i think my face today only looks 10% better than it did 10 weeks ago. I don't know why (seeing the dermo this month) but I think it may be due to my body's resistance to antibiotics now.

I have been on a/b's for other health issues for 2 years, on and off constantly and then hit by a immune system backlash. The higher or more i was given, at the end the worse i felt.

I detest being on Doxy, i hate being on a/b or anything that is interfering with my body's natural balance, but I don't have much choice. I don't have that choice now cause this acne is out of control and I am 31....this is not normal.

I think if u have a choice to be off doxy and be reasonably clear then you should give ur liver and kidney's and of course ur immune system a break.

Great, clear skin may never happen, the clearer we get the more we want and some of us have to understand that we are not going to have flawless perfect skin like some. BUT if u can achieve skin that u can have a neighbour pop over and u can answer the door cause u know ur face won't scare them......then give the doxy a rest.

goodluck with whatever u do.

Did you get much worse acne after taking all those antibiotics? You might be making it worse by taking doxy right now. The only reason you might be getting bad acne is from the imbalance from the other antibiotics but I'm not sure...I don't know your type of acne or about your diet nor am I very educated in the field but it's a suggestion.

im on doxy 50mg day 9 and i have had not notice any new breakouts.. i think doxy working for me :)

why not take a/b forever? isnt it good cause it kills bad bacteria...

It kills GOOD bacteria too. Actually, I think antibiotics just stop the inflammation by killing something that indirectly causes it. Pretty much you can screw up your whole body and personality just by taking a lot of antibiotics...I would know. Also, if you think taking years of antibiotics will be easily reversed...you're dreaming. Some of the stuff I'm dealing with now may be irreversible depending on how motivated I am. Of course I'm not going to be since I still have acne. Antibiotics are just a temporary solution and make everything worse in the long run. If I had never been on antibiotics, I would have most likely never gotten the great deal of cystic acne I had last year, I wouldn't have missed out on my high school experience, and I wouldn't be dealing with candida atm which causes me to gain weight unless I follow a very low carb diet (which is expensive and VERY hard).

It kills GOOD bacteria too. Actually, I think antibiotics just stop the inflammation by killing something that indirectly causes it. Pretty much you can screw up your whole body and personality just by taking a lot of antibiotics...I would know. Also, if you think taking years of antibiotics will be easily reversed...you're dreaming. Some of the stuff I'm dealing with now may be irreversible depending on how motivated I am. Of course I'm not going to be since I still have acne. Antibiotics are just a temporary solution and make everything worse in the long run. If I had never been on antibiotics, I would have most likely never gotten the great deal of cystic acne I had last year, I wouldn't have missed out on my high school experience, and I wouldn't be dealing with candida atm which causes me to gain weight unless I follow a very low carb diet (which is expensive and VERY hard).

Why exactly do you think that antibiotics caused your cystic acne? I was on septra for 5 years and i started breaking out again 4 months after stopping -- this time with cystic acne though. So i agree with what you're saying but i'm just curious as to what kinda supporting evidence you have come across. And has your cystic acne cleared?

Yes it has. I'm not sure why it has..in fact I went on MORE antibiotics to get rid of it but I still have scaring all over my poor cheeks. I think it caused it because I never had cystic acne before...never anything close. My acne only got progressively worse after each antibiotic treatment. I also think I had mild candida at this point so it definitely added to the acne. It was kinda like I was stuck in a giant breakout for month after month after month and I needed something to break it off because each pimple was just spreading and creating more. It was inevitable that some of them were going to pop and cleaning the area wasn't enough. I didn't have very bad cysts that lasted for months but they were deep, under the skin, inflamed, and sometimes didn't come to a head. I think the reason I haven't seen any cystic acne after stopping every oral medication at this point is because I've managed to deal with my candida and also those antibiotics had stopped the cycle. I'm not sure if it will come back though when the bacteria that caused me acne repopulates. If it does I'm not sure what to do because I can't go on antibiotics again. Even a short cycle would mess me up. I just in general assumed that all the antibiotics have made my acne worse because of how my face broke out after I became immune to each and it was worse than before the antibiotics. Plus, some people on the site have said that minocyclin causes worse breakouts when you become immune and I got the cysts right after that. I guess I should start using some topicals to keep my acne under control before anything bad happens... :( I've only been off my antibiotics for about a month

hmmm, honestly, the sense I'm getting from most of what I'm reading, is that it's not that bad. I'd believe the people who talk about "antibiotic resistance" if they backed up with some evidence... it's not that I don't think their concerns are legitimate, it's just I'd like some to something to back it up. Heck, so what if you become resistant to one class of antibiotics, you can take another! :) Also though, it seems most doses for antis aren't even enough to be antimicrobial.

I'm curious to hear more about the Candida? Is it curable? Recently I've been feeling a strange soreness in my throat and stomach region. I don't normally get heart burn, and it doesnt feel like a sore throat, so I'm concerned... if it is Candida overgrowth, will this stop after stopping the ABs?

hmmm, honestly, the sense I'm getting from most of what I'm reading, is that it's not that bad. I'd believe the people who talk about "antibiotic resistance" if they backed up with some evidence... it's not that I don't think their concerns are legitimate, it's just I'd like some to something to back it up. Heck, so what if you become resistant to one class of antibiotics, you can take another! :) Also though, it seems most doses for antis aren't even enough to be antimicrobial.

I'm curious to hear more about the Candida? Is it curable? Recently I've been feeling a strange soreness in my throat and stomach region. I don't normally get heart burn, and it doesnt feel like a sore throat, so I'm concerned... if it is Candida overgrowth, will this stop after stopping the ABs?

Yeah you can just take another antibiotic but it's just masking the problem. Plus you're creating some super strain of that bacteria that is giving off the junk to give you acne because some of it is becoming resistant to all the meds you have been on. Plus if you switch meds, any healthy bacteria in your gut that becomes resistant to one med will die when you take the next.

If it's candida you're honestly screwed. I mean I don't want to make you give up all hope, but it's a bitch to get rid of. The diet isn't bad after awhile but if you don't have candida food on hand all the time you have a great tendency to cheat which feeds candida. Pretty much the candida yeast will give you bloating, indigestion, stomach aches after you eat anything really (anything with carbs but most foods you eat have it in it unless you are specifically avoiding carbs). If you have candida in your throat you'd probably have it in your mouth. It would appear as painful white dots on the tongue.

Yeah you can just take another antibiotic but it's just masking the problem. Plus you're creating some super strain of that bacteria that is giving off the junk to give you acne because some of it is becoming resistant to all the meds you have been on. Plus if you switch meds, any healthy bacteria in your gut that becomes resistant to one med will die when you take the next.

If it's candida you're honestly screwed. I mean I don't want to make you give up all hope, but it's a bitch to get rid of. The diet isn't bad after awhile but if you don't have candida food on hand all the time you have a great tendency to cheat which feeds candida. Pretty much the candida yeast will give you bloating, indigestion, stomach aches after you eat anything really (anything with carbs but most foods you eat have it in it unless you are specifically avoiding carbs). If you have candida in your throat you'd probably have it in your mouth. It would appear as painful white dots on the tongue.

hmmmm, interesting stuff! I don't have white dots on my tongue, so that's good!

I actually talked to a derm today and they said I shouldn't worry about being on it long term. Its all so conflicting? I'm still thinkin' I may ditch 'em and just let my body do its job?

hmmmm, interesting stuff! I don't have white dots on my tongue, so that's good!

I actually talked to a derm today and they said I shouldn't worry about being on it long term. Its all so conflicting? I'm still thinkin' I may ditch 'em and just let my body do its job?

The doctors are mostly liars. He/she probably just thinks a gut flora imbalance isn't that big of a deal because you can just take probiotics later but it makes your immune system horrible. I'm not sure if they do any damage to your liver...I've never had mine tested or anything. You could ditch them if you want to try without and if it gets bad again you could go back on them. If you're feeling you could ditch them right now, chances are they aren't worth being on.