Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

reasonable doctor expectations

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but this is the forum I am most familiar with.

So I called the office of a plastic surgeon in my area to get some info about various procedures- fat grafting, dermarolling, silicone. The receptionist was new but very helpful and willing to put me on hold to go ask the my questions to someone else. I asked what I considered to be "general" questions. Average prices, what the technique includes, needle length for the dermaroller.

Apparently I have to make an appt to find out the answers to most of my questions. That would not be MUCH of an issue if there was not the $100 consultation price. I take issue paying $100 to learn the general price of a procedure. (or the needle length of the dermaroller used.)

My question to you all is how much information can we reasonably expect when phoning a dr's office.

I am seriously considering not doing business with this dr based on this experience and I just wanted to hear others' opinions on dr expectations. (Plus I wanted to vent :))

Thanks.

Those things you should not have to pay to find out. Particularly not requiring a consultation JUST to find out the prices! That's just robbery.

I'd continue calling around. If you get similar answers at other places, you'll know the general tenor of your area's physicians.

Thank you Wynne for your quick reply. I completely agree with you.

After I wrote my post I called another doc and I received A LOT of info (more than I even asked for.) That will def be a doctor I make a consultation with.

Those things you should not have to pay to find out. Particularly not requiring a consultation JUST to find out the prices! That's just robbery.

I'd continue calling around. If you get similar answers at other places, you'll know the general tenor of your area's physicians.

Yeah this seems really common. They mustnt be making enough money from procedures (or no one is doing them), so they need to need to make money off the consultations. Its funny how when you want to book a consultation (they always seem full) but when you want to book a treatment (they can offer you any time on any day for at least the next 3 months).

If it helps, ive found being a bit more forceful helps. just say you are comparing places that offer the treatments and deciding whether or not its worth coming in for a consultation. they will often be suprised at this, though usually they will give you the information you need. ive done this about 4 times and havent been unsuccessful once :) You are the buyer so you have every right to know this information.

remember they are here to help you at the end of the day !

anyhoo hope it helps :)

Thanks Sydneyfellow. It is unfortunate if this common practice. Personally, I find it to be bad business.

You're right. Next time I will be a little more assertive. :)

I'm glad the second place was more forthcoming. That is a definite good sign that they might be a good place to go. Silly to say, but I'm kind of proud whenever a doctor's office is helpful and informative, probably because I'm in the medical profession as well. :P

Oh! If you know people who have had the same procedures done that you're interested in, ask them where they went. Also ask your chosen doctors for references of patients who have had the procedures done. Of course they'll pick ones who were totally happy, but that helps, too.

Oh! If you know people who have had the same procedures done that you're interested in, ask them where they went. Also ask your chosen doctors for references of patients who have had the procedures done. Of course they'll pick ones who were totally happy, but that helps, too.

wynne- good idea !

neuroticwaif - yeah it is a shame doctors do that. you have to understand a lot of doctors are a bit ego driven and cant believe that ud be doing your own research without their consultation. ive seen a few in my time and i simply walked out. now that i think back, i shouldnt have paid either.

given the poor results so many people have had on here (by getting the wrong treatments) you have no choice but to be very upfront...not nasty but know what you want and what you are looking for. these things are terribly expensive after all.

i know this sounds negative, but its not intended to be. if you do all this beforehand you will most likely go for a treatment you are happy with :)

Edited by sydney_fellow

I'm glad the second place was more forthcoming. That is a definite good sign that they might be a good place to go. Silly to say, but I'm kind of proud whenever a doctor's office is helpful and informative, probably because I'm in the medical profession as well. :P

Oh yes. The lady at the second office had me go to the doc's website. Navigated me through some before after pics. Explained a bit about the fat grafting procedure. A great thing (like you mentioned) was that she had fat grafting 3 years ago. She helped me locate her b/a pics, told me her age etc. I think this woman could sell ice to eskimos. :) Plus there wasn't really any pressure for a consultation. She did mention scheduling but when I said I was just collecting info she continued to give info.

Thank you for the idea of asking past patients. These are expensive treatments and we want to make sure we make the best possible decision.

Sydneyfellow: "given the poor results so many people have had on here (by getting the wrong treatments) you have no choice but to be very upfront...not nasty but know what you want and what you are looking for. these things are terribly expensive after all. "

AGREED!!

Sydneyfellow: "i know this sounds negative, but its not intended to be. if you do all this beforehand you will most likely go for a treatment you are happy with"

No, you are not being negative. Very good advice.

LOL on the "ego driven docs". So true like "do not question my author-ah-tay"

Sydneyfellow: "given the poor results so many people have had on here (by getting the wrong treatments) you have no choice but to be very upfront...not nasty but know what you want and what you are looking for. these things are terribly expensive after all. "

AGREED!!

Sydneyfellow: "i know this sounds negative, but its not intended to be. if you do all this beforehand you will most likely go for a treatment you are happy with"

trust your instincts :)

i think ive found a brilliant place where i live. they are so forthcoming with information. i havent been to see them yet but i have a feeling they will be getting a massive hug !

I am glad you found a place. There seems to be a lot of clinics in Australia (I think). I know Dr. Philippa Mccaffery has an office somewhere in Australia. She assisted with using the dermaroller for scar reduction. Wishing you the best.

AGREED!!

trust your instincts :)

i think ive found a brilliant place where i live. they are so forthcoming with information. i havent been to see them yet but i have a feeling they will be getting a massive hug !