Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
olive14

Grrr, Uber Makeup Frustration!!!

Okay so I've been fairly clear for a while now, and my pores have gotten a LOT smaller. Like, they're invisible on my cheeks and chin and forehead, only on my cheekbones near my nose can you really see them, but that's normal and I never ever break out there anyways. Actually come to think of it, my pores there are really small too.

Anyhoo, I think my skin is also a lot less oily. And I've been having some issues with my mineral makeup. It cakes over the course of the day. It clings to my dry skin (that I get from using sodium sulfacetamide, my miracle topical) and then parts of it rub off over the course of the day and it's just not nice looking and I want a new makeup.

I want a liquid foundation possibly, that's not oil based, that's going to make my skin fuggin' glow. I think that since school is over I want to treat myself and get a makeover or something. I've never been too skilled with makeup and I think I deserve it.

Any suggestions with the foundation thing? Even any suggestions as to how I can make my foundation not cake. I think it might be the fact that I use moisturizer right before I put on my minerals? Could that be it?

Okay so I've been fairly clear for a while now, and my pores have gotten a LOT smaller. Like, they're invisible on my cheeks and chin and forehead, only on my cheekbones near my nose can you really see them, but that's normal and I never ever break out there anyways. Actually come to think of it, my pores there are really small too.

Anyhoo, I think my skin is also a lot less oily. And I've been having some issues with my mineral makeup. It cakes over the course of the day. It clings to my dry skin (that I get from using sodium sulfacetamide, my miracle topical) and then parts of it rub off over the course of the day and it's just not nice looking and I want a new makeup.

I want a liquid foundation possibly, that's not oil based, that's going to make my skin fuggin' glow. I think that since school is over I want to treat myself and get a makeover or something. I've never been too skilled with makeup and I think I deserve it.

Any suggestions with the foundation thing? Even any suggestions as to how I can make my foundation not cake. I think it might be the fact that I use moisturizer right before I put on my minerals? Could that be it?

Hmm. I think moisturizing before makeup is a good thing BUT... it sounds like using a primer would help you a lot!!! It smoothes things out and mattifies your face so it's a clear palette haha. I like Smashbox primers. I also use YSL Teint 14 hr foundation and it's liquid and looks good with mineral makeup. what kind of makeup are you currently using?

I've heard a really good foundation that stays on is Revlon Colorstay, also try makeupgeek.com - she does makeup tutorials and has a face routine one on there with this makeup. Looks flawless! I'm planning on trying it once I order the flat brush from her site (12.95 vs. 50 in stores) and when my current foundation runs out.

Also Revlon Colorstay has different formulas, so you could get one for dry skin.

I've heard a really good foundation that stays on is Revlon Colorstay, also try makeupgeek.com - she does makeup tutorials and has a face routine one on there with this makeup. Looks flawless! I'm planning on trying it once I order the flat brush from her site (12.95 vs. 50 in stores) and when my current foundation runs out.

Also Revlon Colorstay has different formulas, so you could get one for dry skin.

I second this. It's what I currently use :)

About your make-up not being cakey, you should use a primer. There are lots of expensive ones you can buy, but there's one at Wal-Mart that works a lot like Smashbox's for 1/3 the price. It's called Hard Candy Sheer Envy primer. Of course put it on before your makeup, and after your moisturizer. You don't necessarily need a moisturizer with it though 'cause it's hydrating + has SPF15 in it.

Hmm. I think moisturizing before makeup is a good thing BUT... it sounds like using a primer would help you a lot!!! It smoothes things out and mattifies your face so it's a clear palette haha. I like Smashbox primers. I also use YSL Teint 14 hr foundation and it's liquid and looks good with mineral makeup. what kind of makeup are you currently using?

I'm currently using Studio Gear Dual Identity and bare minerals concealer and their mineral veil.

Right now, I use Loreal infallible, and it's a pretty good make-up for a drugstore. When I decide to wear make-up on the days when my skin is bad. I recommend it =]

i use revlon colorstay as a foundation sometimes, but usually i use it as a concealer to cover up scars. i was able to find a really close color match in sand beige (nc25 in mac). what's funny about colorstay is that it does stay on for a long time, but if you have very oily skin like i do, you still get shiny, but your makeup stays on .. if that makes sense. i would rec colorstay for medium to heavy coverage. it drys fast, but if you do each section of your face separately, it will be easier to blend. i've only tried applying it 2 ways .. with a wet sponge, and my fingers. i think both ways work well, but i prefer my fingers cuz it's faster. i'm curious if the finish would be really different with a certain face brush. what i really don't like about it is that it doesn't have a pump. i didn't think it would bother me that much before buying, but when you're in a rush, it's such a pain pouring it out, and having to waste product.

overall, i think colorstay is a good foundation. it looks natural, it stays for quite some time, and offers awesome coverage.

hope this helps someone.

I've struggled with makeup for my acne for years, and now I've finally found something that works.

I use Revlon Colorstay foundation for oily/combination skin. I pore a little on a sandwich bag and then dab it on my entire face with a clean makeup sponge.

Then I set it with a sheer finish powder I bought from Proactiv.

About your moisturizer potential issues;

I have found that drugstore moisturizers (i.e. neotrogena, clean & clear) tend to be low-quality and blotchy. Although they say they're "oil-free" they actually use synthetic oils instead which leave a greasy residue usually.

I find that using a natural and organic moisturizer is the safe way to go. I've been using Beauty Without Cruelty Oil-free moisturizer and it's been working beautifully. For me, less is more. The more moisturizer I use, the more oily I am, thus the less my makeup stays on.

Good luck!

Lately I have been following this makeup routine and it seems to be helping with making my makeup look more natural.

1. After I wash my face I use Make Up for Ever Hydrating Serum

2. I then use a light facial lotion

3. I use a primer. I'm currently using Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle Primer, which I won't buy again. It is mediocre at best and given the $$ I'm sure I can find something better.

4.Sonia Kasuk Tinted Moisturizer

5. Make Up for Ever Full Cover Concealer

6. Make Up for Ever Duo Mat Foundation Powder

jane Iredale Disappear concealer and pressed powder. I used to use makeup that I got over the counter and I switched to Jane Iredale and really liked it....when I switched back one day because I misplaced my good stuff, after I put on the regular makeup that was an over the counter line- I looked in the mirror and literally went "gross"! I never left Jane Idedale again.