Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doublehawk

What works for milia?

First of all, could anybody in the know tell me if this sounds like milia? I have several tiny bumps around my mouth/chin...they are not inflamed and not very visible. You can see them easily if I smile or stretch my skin. They are very light in colour but have no heads as such, I can just feel a tiny lump. They do not go away (will persist for months and months) unless I extract them.

My derm put me on Epiduo nearly three weeks ago (for my mild inflamed/comedonal acne), will this eventually slough them off, or will they persist? They do not bother me very much, I would take them any day over pimples, but they are annoying. Any suggestions???

i have exactly what you are refering to. I do believe they are milia and can only be controlled by exfolliation. I had tons of them in my chin area. Each night i would apply hot compressess to the area and carefully extract them with a blackhead remover. Sometimes the plug would rise right out and other times I would not get it and it would take forever to heal. Their horrible because no meds work on them. Right now all mine are gone and being maintained with mandelic acid 15% and gentle exfoliation every night.

Tanning doesn't help at all, it only thickens the skin: just what you don't need. Sun exposure in moderation is of course never a bad thing, your whole body will benefit from it. I read some good things about Naturalis products for milia, maybe have a look at them. Drinking a lot of water should also be beneficial, though I doubt it will completely get rid of milia. Using thick, oil based make up products will only aggravate the problem, so if you are you might consider to stop using them. Some say glycolic acid helps. And of course extraction is always an option, but better prevent than heal, right? Next time you see your dermatologist you could ask him about it too.

Cheers for the replies you guys! :D

Tanning is not an option for me even if that works, I am super fair and can only burn and develop freckles.

I will look into some gentle exfoliation methods...am a bit hesitant to add this into the routine, as the BP and adapalene in Epiduo already speed up the turnover of skin cells. Perhaps I just need to be patient with it...not one of my strong points!!

Salcylic acid does nothing for my acne, but when i was using it, it completely cleared up three little milia bumps around my cheekbone. However, some people report that SA causes milia. Everyone's skin is different, i guess.

First of all, could anybody in the know tell me if this sounds like milia? I have several tiny bumps around my mouth/chin...they are not inflamed and not very visible. You can see them easily if I smile or stretch my skin. They are very light in colour but have no heads as such, I can just feel a tiny lump. They do not go away (will persist for months and months) unless I extract them.

My derm put me on Epiduo nearly three weeks ago (for my mild inflamed/comedonal acne), will this eventually slough them off, or will they persist? They do not bother me very much, I would take them any day over pimples, but they are annoying. Any suggestions???

Milia are not acne for starters, It is actually encapsulated Calcium deposits. They can be encouraged out with exfoliation- I suggest using a good nightly chemical exfoliator (like DCL AHA lotion/gel) and a mechanical exfoliator ( like microdermamitt) to use throughout the week. some people can get them out manually by themself using an extractor. A skin tech could get them out for use with a tiny lancet. But, you may want to check out your diet or ant supplements you are on- you may be intaking too much calcium, and your body has to do something with that excess- so it tries to push it out the skin. good luck!

It's more likely just closed comedones/whiteheads. The epiduo will eventually take care of them.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/milia/DS01059 Information about milia, from the Mayo clinic. They're also caused by impaired skin shedding (one of the causes of acne itself) and contain skin flakes and keratinocytes in most cases.

Although this is an individual doctor's website, it does have helpful information about milia, along with a picture of large ones. http://www.doctorv.ca/conditions/lumps-and-bumps/milia.html

There's another kind of yellowish deposit that develops around the eyes, and that is due to high cholesterol. It's more common in older persons and persons with high blood lipids. They're called xanthomas.

i don't think they are milia. i think they are whiteheads. try using some bha products and exfoliate them.

i also have them. they are still there but i can feel them purging.

I used to have alot of them, i suspose due to the concealer i used is too rich..

however i dont go facial, i just keep washing gradually they are gone.

Thanks again to everybody for their helpful replies =]

I don't think my diet is to blame- I have played around with it heaps over the last few years and have settled on something that seems to work for me. That is, low GI, no processed grains and little dairy (I have organic yoghurt). I take a multivitamin when I remember. Don't think I have too much calcium. The information you guys have provided seems to point to my little bumps being clogged pores rather than milia.

I'll just try and be patient and let the Epiduo do its job. If they are still there when the next derm visit rolls around I'll see what he thinks...