Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike_wf

Three Reasons to Eat Popcorn

but it's a GRAIN PRODUCT. THE HORROR.

Just kidding. That's actually pretty interesting - thanks for the link.

Yahoo health articles are idiotic.

No need to be nasty but here's another interesting popcorn article from NY daily news

Munching on popcorn during movies may be healthier than you think.

New research says the popular snack food can actually help prevent cancer, according to a study led by Dr. Joe Vinson of the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania.

The chemist and his team of scientists found that popcorn contains surprisingly large levels of antioxidants called polyphenols, which help reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

“We really were surprised by the levels of polyphenols we found in popcorn,” Dr. Vinson said. “I guess it’s because it's not processed. You get all the wonderful ingredients of the corn undiluted and protected by the skin. In my opinion it's a good health food.”

There are plenty of other, healthier foods that contain polyphenols as well....

Apples, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, grapes, pears, plums, raspberries, and strawberries; and vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, celery, onion and parsley are rich in polyphenols. Red wine, coffee, chocolate, green tea, olive oil, bee pollen and many grains are sources.

Don't forget that when most people eat popcorn they are loading it with butter and salt. ;)

Hmm, I wonder if this article was pushed by Monsanto corn?

It is very odd that they don't mention that corn is the #2 most genetically modified corn in the world and that the buyer should pick organic. They don't mention that a diet with a lot of corn can induce hypothyroidism.

It is also interesting that they don't mention that corn-eaters can be easily seen in mummies because their teeth are ruined. Corn is high in sugar and the grain wears the teeth down very quickly.

Corn is very high in sugar and carbs but one of the worst foods for nutrient density. In fact, nutritionists say it is an "empty" food -- lots of calories, no nutrition.

It is interesting that it has lots of polyphenols, but I would rely on more nutritious alternatives for polyphenols.

I am just wondering why they didn't present a balanced view of corn. ;)

It is very odd that they don't mention that corn is the #2 most genetically modified corn in the world and that the buyer should pick organic. They don't mention that a diet with a lot of corn can induce hypothyroidism.

It is also interesting that they don't mention that corn-eaters can be easily seen in mummies because their teeth are ruined. Corn is high in sugar and the grain wears the teeth down very quickly.

Corn is very high in sugar and carbs but one of the worst foods for nutrient density. In fact, nutritionists say it is an "empty" food -- lots of calories, no nutrition.

It is interesting that it has lots of polyphenols, but I would rely on more nutritious alternatives for polyphenols.

Your reply reminded me of the movie Food Inc.. I hate Monsanto! But I do love organic popcorn! yum!

It's good that you talk about a balanced view, but what you've written, unfortunately, is also not very balanced. The article posted is about popcorn, which has virtually no sugar in it. I think you are discussing "sweet corn" which in fact does have a high sugar content.

And I'm also not sure corn is an "empty" food. It's high in lutein which is well known for preventing macular degeneration and possibly alzheimers. Look it up.

Edited by mike_wf

Popcorn breaks me out - organic or not.

So, no thanks. I'll get my health benefits from other sources, thanks.

Sorry to hear that. If you're eating popcorn you probably want to avoid adding lots of vegetable oils and salt. And of course avoid the sugary sodas that many people drink with it.

And of course avoid the sugary sodas that many people drink with it.

And avoid my local movie theatre where the water fountain is always conveniently broken!

Sorry to hear that. If you're eating popcorn you probably want to avoid adding lots of vegetable oils and salt. And of course avoid the sugary sodas that many people drink with it.

I tried eating popcorn before because I figured it was a healthy snack. I don't drink soda and I ate the stuff plain. No salt. No butter. No oils. Straight popcorn.

Still broke me out. My body doesn't seem to handle grains very well.

It aint that healthy at all , compared to real healthy diets we should eat. Maybe it is compared to western diet.

GMied food aint so good for you i guess.

Corn is so processed that it has a lot of bad stuff and other things others mentioned here.

The thing i hate about these articles is that they miss the point. If whole america would read this you would have half of the society thinking. Im gonna eat popcorn every day. And a lot. So theyll eat fastfood as a meal and take popcorn with it to even the healthiness back to 0. (thats what they think). If they just red a proper news article which states that something healthy doesnt make something unhealthy not bad. Then it would have a way better effect.

And of course avoid the sugary sodas that many people drink with it.

And avoid my local movie theatre where the water fountain is always conveniently broken!

LOL. My movie theater is the same way.