Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M Kat

MKAT Accutane Log- Lets Do This!

Minocycline Log- July 2009 (Pictures and History)

1st Accutane Log, Never Started August 2009

Apr 24 2010, 03:09 PM

I am back, unfortunately, not with the best news. I never went on accutane and things took a different turn. I had started planning for the Accutane, took my blood tests, and then my doctor when on a honeymoon and didn't pass down to anyone in the office. Somehow I decided to stay on the minocycline, which really never cleared me up at all.

So, here I am again, back to the drawling board and ready to finally do this. I have watched soo many video logs on youtube about peoples experiences and did more reading on here. I really am over this vicious cycle or being clear, breaking out, being clear breaking out. I am pretty much back to the last pictures I posted last year right on my old accutane post.

The same thing happened to me again, I went off birht control, four months later, WHOA, break out city. It is obviously connected and it seems that every time I do that it happens. The antibiotics also stop working after about 3-4 months after stopping those. So I def see a cycle. I have also accepted that acne is a disease of the skin and honestly you cannot not do anything. The whole thing with accutane is that it is for people who have tried everyone and cannot control it.

Right now I am on doryx 75mg (dosage prescribed according to my weight) and also another medication that is benzoly peroxide mixed with clindamycin. You know same crap different day type of medications. I won't start Accutane until mid May so I am really anxious. I am having a hard time right now staying positive and it has just been a tough month. If there are any ideas/suggestions to keep positive and happy please let me know what your thoughts are.

I hope to do a video log also on YouTube to track my progress. I think that will may it sort of fun and help others as well. Because other peoples videos have totally helped me.

Continuation: 5/21/10

Hi Everyone,

Well, finalllllly after a month of waiting, dealing with insurance, and ipledge, I have finally started. First, I had to wait a month to start due to the ipledge and testing. Then I was given my prescription by my doctor and went to the pharmacy where they told me that I needed pre-authorization from my insurance (Anthom Blue Cross PPO) or it would cost 400 dollars for one month, and that was for Claravis the generic! That took two days and I went back and picked it up and it only cost ten dollars...10 dollars compared for 400 JEEZ!

I started taking the Accutane on 5/19/10 at 40mg 1x per day. I am a 29 year old female, 118 pounds, 5'3. Prior to starting I was taking dorxy 75mg for one month and it took me through a breakout stage that was pretty hard and then towards the end of the month I finally started clearing up. Interestingly enough, I am very clear right now and have only a few noticeable bumps. The side effects that I have experienced so far are feeling a little dehydrated so I had to start bumping up my water consumption and it helps big time! After I took a shower last night I felt dry and a little itchy so I just put a ton of lotion on and I felt great. I have discontinued the benzoyl peroxide use and am using cetaphil face cleanser and lotion. OH, and I had a headache last night and was really tired!

Besides that, today is day 3, will continue to update.

Edited by M Kat

Today is day four and I have noticed some side effects that I wanted to share.

1. I have had one weird headache, it felt like a pressure head ache.

2. And my ears have been plugged at different times.

3. My neck was sore for a time too.

4. My skin feels a little tighter but no super dryness yet.

5. My lips are not completely chap but feel like they soak up the aquaphor pretty fast

6. Oh and I have been so friggin tired, way more than usual. Today is the first day I woke up and did not feel exhausted.

Besides that I have not noticed anything major. My skin is looking less oily and more tight. I have only had one to two small pimple since I have started...I am wondering when all of my pores are going to wake up and come to life...I really hope I can skip the IB, and maybe the antibiotics prior to starting will make the difference for me...we'll see.

Sigh I know what you mean when you say that acne treatments are a vicious cycle. Once you stop using something that works, the acne seems to emerge from hibernation!

Day 6:

Whoa the past two days I felt really weird... Like lethargic and zoned out. Today I actually felt the most normal I have. Side effects that I have also experienced are dry nostrils, dry lips ( almost untoiceable when using aquaphor) a little dry skin, little neck and back soreness but not bad, little dry eyes but not bad either (I use eye drops when needed).

Now to the IB update. Oh yes my skin is starting to purge, espdecially on my forehead. It is not that bad but I have noticed a difference and my skin does look like my pores are coming outward a bit...I graduate with my masters in business next weekend and I hope it doesn't go into full blown IB but I realized that I have to continue onand just try to stay focused on the goal. Will update soon when ihave more to tell. And I will post pics too when my hubby brings my camera back from a trip he went on.

thanks for visiting my log!!

ill be keeping up with your progress. im so glad you finally decided to go on accutane. when asked why i looked sunburnt by my flawless skin friends, i just simply told them i was on accutane. their response? "o i took that a couple years ago!"

so it just goes to show you that it is way more common than we are meant to believe. acne and accutane.

good luck!

Day 7- Wow, this week has gone by fast and so far so good. There was a couple of the days in the beginning where I was a little nervous but now I think things are going quite well.

SO, today I woke up with much drier skin, my nose was noticeably peeling and my chin has started to peel a little. I dabbed lotion on and that seemed to fix it right up.

IB update- Still looks pretty good, a few here and there but nothing outrageous yet to where I can say, YES, I have hit the IB. Today is my long day with work and school from 8am-1130pm so this is my post for the day...

Hope all is well out there in the Accutane World...And everyone is on the road to clear skin! haha and I am only on day 7....ahhh

Hope everything is going well so far.

Looks like we started our journey around the same time ( I am on day 9)

Good luck on your journey!

Hope everything is going well so far.

Looks like we started our journey around the same time ( I am on day 9)

Good luck on your journey!

Hey Calabi! I will have to check out your log :) Thank you for visiting and I hope to talk to you more as we progress through the treatment!

Questions for all: Why is it that you cannot pop a pimple on accutane...I am a little unclear on that...can someone give me a heads up if that is really really bad and why?

Hey good luck !

I dont pop a pimple cause of the scarring after, my face looks a battle field rattled with scars from when picked or popped them :\

Good luck! I'll keep checking your log for updates :)

P.S. it's really never ok to try and pop a pimple because it can always cause scarring but also since accutane makes your skin so dry and stop producing so much oil, it will just be extra hard for your skin to heal and repair itself. i'm thinking about buying emu oil to use while on accutane because it helps reduce the redness of a pimple and the scarring.

remember that not everyone gets bad IBs. If you get it, you get it. If you dont, you dont!

dont ever pick at your face. i kept doing that and it got to the point where the only thing bad on my face were from the parts that i had picked at. let the accutane do its thing. your skin will naturally rejuvenate itself and get all the dead flakies off.

Time_traveler, becauseofashley, trottschic : Thanks you all for your responses. I plan on leaving my skin alone and not touching it from now on, however, read below because I did break the rule, but I think if I didn't I would still be dealing with some huge ugly whiteheads.

I will be honest, on day 7 I woke up and had five whitehead/pore coming out of the skin time of pimples. HAhaha it actually looked like my pores were turning inside out, no joke, it was weird. I pretty much figured this was the beginning of my IB. They were like pretty painful and you know what I pushed on them and it was like they were dying to come out. It hasn't created big ugly scabs, just a little redness, but they are going away fast now. I put EMU oil on them last night and I woke up this morning dreading looking in the mirror, and my to surprise my face looked super relaxed from yesterday. I am wondering if this is the first part of my initial break out...Overall, I do not have any new pimples today and my skin all around looks much better then yesterday and now has a rosey glow to it.

Today is Day 8, and nothing new to report, besides my lips have become pretty dry to the point if I do not put on aquaphor, they start peeling. Same with my nose, if I do not put on lotion my nose peels like it is sunburnt. Anyway, the side effects from the earlier days like being tired and feeling lethargic have gone-THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT.

I have been drinking like four bottles of water per day...most water I have drank, probably ever, on a daily basis.

That is all for now...please oh please let the IB not show up..just kidding BRING IT ON...NO seriously just kidding, Don't. Or at least wait until after graduation! HAHA I am negotiating with the IB....nice. I think I might be losing it now.

I will be honest, on day 7 I woke up and had five whitehead/pore coming out of the skin time of pimples. HAhaha it actually looked like my pores were turning inside out, no joke, it was weird. I pretty much figured this was the beginning of my IB. They were like pretty painful and you know what I pushed on them and it was like they were dying to come out. It hasn't created big ugly scabs, just a little redness, but they are going away fast now. I put EMU oil on them last night and I woke up this morning dreading looking in the mirror, and my to surprise my face looked super relaxed from yesterday. I am wondering if this is the first part of my initial break out...Overall, I do not have any new pimples today and my skin all around looks much better then yesterday and now has a rosey glow to it.

Glad to hear the emu oil worked out well! I plan on buying some soon....i hear wonderful things about it. Its super hard for me as well not to break the "no touching the pimple" rule...totally understand!

Day 9- Time is flying by already and I have a few updates since yesterday.

First, I noticed that my skin was oily for the first week, more than normal. I figured and have read that your skin is pushing out the last bits of oil? Is this right...well that is what it seemed like. At this point my face seems to be getting a little less and less each day and at this point I haven't needed face lotion, only chap stick and had to moisturize my nose a couple of times.

IB update: So, I noticed that my forehead and chin were the main areas that I broke out during the first week.

1. Since then my forehead has about 3-4 small healing scabs that are healing and going away. My forehead otherwise is clear and looking much better.

2. Also, my cheeks for some reason didn't break out really, only one pimple on the right side which is healing now. It did seem like it was pushing out a bunch of small clogged pores,like my pores were being turned inside out, but nothng noticeable to the eye, they are clear right now, of any big pimples.

3. My chin has been the other main area where I initially got a breakout . Now it is clearing up, but yesterday it looked and felt like a big cycst was coming in...I was like damn! I put neosporin and EMU oil on it and suprisingly enough I woke up and all the inflamation was gone and you cant see it. I still wonder if it is the accutane taking down the inflamation and the EMU oil has nothing to do with it. It is hard to say you know.

So, overall, day 9 my skin looks like it is clearing up and no new pimples.

The only side effect I am having is dry lips and a little dry body skin if I don't lotion. Otherwise, this is going well.

Edited by M Kat

How are you liking the emu oil and how long have you used it? I just bought some the other day and I am waiting for it to arrive. I am very excited to try it!

Day 12-

Graduation was yesterday and awesome! I had broken out with two cysts prior, one on my cheek by by nose and one on my chin. I tried covering them as best I could and enjoyed my day with my family. However, the big problem was that I had only drank 1 bottle of water and I had to sit in the friggin sun for two hours during the ceremony...I had the booklet up against my head blocking the sun as best I could...but by the end of the night after we all went out to dinner..I came home and felt like I had heat exhaustion and drank tons of water. OMG, I was like help me..

So, today I had three ugly blemishes... by the way I have learned that if you even try to squeeze a pimple on accutane your skin peels off completely. HAHAH I was one of those people who had to learn for themselves. SO IF YOU ARE STARTING AND EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, take it from me, DONT DO IT! Seriously! Anyway, my lips are friggin chap and it is starting to become really annoying. I am hoping by next week my face will start healing up though... I can already tell that the dryness in my skin is increasing and I will have to start moisturizing my face much more.

Anyway, thats my update for day 12.

Heya. Thought I'd wish you luck! I'm day 8 and seem to be having similar experience thus far as you, although I'm on 20mg. I've been using emu oil through the week, like you said its hard to tell whether its the influence of the accutane or emu oil, but I swear my breakouts are somewhat softer- still there but not as noticeable or inflamed looking as they usually do. So definite thumbs up for the emu oil. Kick up that moisturising! Will be following your log, all the best!

Day 15:

Update Update- Ok, so I had and feel like I am at the end of my initial breakout. My forehead has completely cleared from all the tiny bumps, except one healing flat scab. My skin on my cheeks are pretty clear, but I can see small tiny pores clearing out. I think my chin took the biggest hit and I have one huge pimple/scab that I have to put a bandaid over it was so big! Right now everything is looking good and I am hoping that in another week things will be looking much better. Right now i noticed that I am breaking out under and along my jaw...which I usually don't break out under there so it is interesting.

Side effects: Really chapped lipps...especially if I don't use lip balm every 20 minutes. Towards the end of the day my skin starts getting really dry. And I am always really thirsty and drink a ton of water.

Otherwise, no headaches, no muscle aches, nothing else to report.

I just want this to all be over...it has been tough, trust me, but having this message board, watching you tube video logs, and supportive family and friends gets me through each rough spot, literally haha.

Ciao for now!

Day 16-

Woke up totally depressed this morning. It is not the accutane, it is the fact that I am tired because I haven't got a good solid 8 hours in days. And not getting sleep is not due to accutane either, which is good news because I know some people have that side effect. I am just depressed due to a combination of being tired, having a huge red cyst on my chin that I have to cover with a bandaid because it is HUGE (was thinking about going to derm to check it out and see if it was necessary to get a shot of cortisone in it), my job has become stagnant after four years and I have four months left to finish my M.B.A. I have also been living in the desert for the past four years and it is really boring out here...none of my family live out here...my fiance and I have each other thank god, but I am just tired of being here. I feel like I need a brand new start, new skin, new job, new location, meet new faces, new ideas, NEW evertying. I feel so restless to just get it all started...but I can't, I have to wait. Today is going to be one of those days...I have to think positive....or SCREAM haha.

I definitely get how you feel.

I often wish that I could just get up and go and start all over somewhere else.

On the positive note, in a few months when our skin is clear it will feel like a new start. I am sure of it. Hope the rest of your day goes better!

Day 21:

It has been tough, the initial breakout has been significant enough and has been making me really frustrated. I don't even want to go to work or leave the house...I just want to curl up and for this to be over.

So, yesterday was the end of week 3 and I would say that from day 14-21, now, the IB has been a pain in my butt.

My forehead has cleared for the most part and my cheeks are pretty clear, it is mostly all around the chin. Today my chin is throbbing with pain and it is almost uncomfortable to talk because of healing spots, tight skin, and just a feeling of discomfort.

So, yea my chin hurts. I am at work right now and I want to go home but I know that I have to fight through and get through this and it will eventually pay off. I have to go to school tonight for 4 hours so today is just another test of my strength...and I always make it. Just would like to enjoy things a little more.

I'm sure your IB will be done in no time! After another month or so I bet your skin will start clearing up like crazy.

Day 23-

I took pictures last night of my current status. My IB started out small, got bad, got little better, got bad again, and now all the big cycts and smaller breakouts are going away. I will post the pictures later this evening when I get home. I am in a better mood today because it does look a lot better!!! The last week or so has been really hard on me and there were a couple of days where I didn't know if I could go to work, but I sucked it up and said you know what, I cannot let this take me down, I have to perservere. So, anyone who is going through this or is just getting started, read a lot of the blogs here and remember that it will get better and we have to stay strong and stay connected here to get support.

Post the pics soon!

Oops, it has been a week almost since I last posted and I never did add those IB pics. So here they are with my updated status. Also, I am now on day 31, starting of month two, and it is starting to improve, finally. I saw my doctor yesterday and I have to watch my cholesterol but besides that everything else was normal. No dose change, still 40mg 1x per day. So, side affects have stayed the same, nothing major to report.

Edited by M Kat