Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IsadoraR

Sun-sensitivity on Accutane??

So I'm going on Accutane soon, and I was wondering how bad the sun-sensitivity can get?

Last summer I was on Doxycycline and I got burned pretty bad. Not so much my body, but my hands hurt like no other. Who would think to put sunscreen on your hands?! They were red, really sore, and I couldn't sleep with my hands under my blanket at night because the heat made them hurt even more. My face got red but it wasn't so bad that makeup couldn't hide it.

So I was wondering if the sun-sensitivity on Accutane is higher, lower, or about the same?

Thank you.

Higher....MUCH higher. You will need to wear sunblock every day (even in winter). Trust me, don't get burnt on accutane, it is a nightmare.

Good luck!

Higher....MUCH higher. You will need to wear sunblock every day (even in winter). Trust me, don't get burnt on accutane, it is a nightmare.

Good luck!

Yes. I've been on 20mg accutane for 10 days now. I'm incredibly photosensitive. I was out in a partially shaded area for 90min. with 50spf sunblock and a hat on. I didn't wear sunglasses though, and my eyelids got burned! My whole face,arms, chest, and everything seem to be getting sunburned just from daily activities like going to & from the grocery store. I now bought some 100SPF sunblock and I'm not going anywhere without it. I"m also getting a huge wide brimmed hat and staying out of the sun from 10am-2pm as much as possible. By the way...My skin looks amazing! I"m so happy. This is a small inconvenience for clear skin.

Yes. I've been on 20mg accutane for 10 days now. I'm incredibly photosensitive. I was out in a partially shaded area for 90min. with 50spf sunblock and a hat on. I didn't wear sunglasses though, and my eyelids got burned! My whole face,arms, chest, and everything seem to be getting sunburned just from daily activities like going to & from the grocery store. I now bought some 100SPF sunblock and I'm not going anywhere without it. I"m also getting a huge wide brimmed hat and staying out of the sun from 10am-2pm as much as possible. By the way...My skin looks amazing! I"m so happy. This is a small inconvenience for clear skin.

10 days and amazing skin!?!? Thats so awesome! I just took my first pill 5 minutes ago.. I know a lot of people are worried about starting a drug like this and fear all the side effects..but after 3 pregnancy tests and the ridiculously painful 30+ day wait and years of other failed treatments, I have never been SO EXCITED to take a pill hahahh. It was so relieving to finally have it in my hand!

i am not sure if it makes you more sesnitive than other medications ( not sure why it would) but be sure to buy a really good sunscreen...they are not all the same!!! netrogena dry touch with helioplex (which stops the sunblock from breaking down when your outside) is a good one. la roche posay is also a good brand. Ombrelle and Coppertone and other shit isnt going to cut it while you're on this drug. Also be sure to reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours or after you sweat/swim. Avoid being outisde between 10-3 when UV is at it highest. Get a good wide hat, wear clothes that cover you up if your gonna be out all day. And remember accutane makes all your skin more sensitive not just your face.

THANK YOU! I already have SPF 60 that I wear on my face everyday. I guess I'll have to put it on my body as well. And I will definitely invest in a good pair of sunglasses, all of mine apparently disappeared. I'm going to California this summer, I get burned in overcast in Vancouver, so I'm going to be very anal about applying sunscreen while I'm there. Starting Accutane in summer is going to be so difficult but at least I should start being clear by September...

im from canada too!! haha its a total bummer having to be so cautious the only 3 months we get summer : P

So true. It's constantly rainy here. And this weekend for example, has been on and off so it's very misleading.