Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I'll try to keep this short, so as not to bore you all with a super long post :). I've had acne for what feels like my whole life--since I was 10 years old, and I'm 26 now. However, for 14 years I really only had one or two pimples at a time, and would even have clear days in between. Then, around two years ago, without my making any changes that I can think of, my face just got suddenly worse--up to 10 pimples at a time, and a constant flow of new ones every day.

I have tried a plethora of things in the 2 years since then, without much success and my acne has gotten progressively worse. Proactiv worked for a while, but seemed to stop working and was too expensive to keep using without effect. After the proactiv it has been a downward spiral, and now my skin is worse than it ever was.

I'll spare you the details of everything I tried, and just say that my skin is pretty sensitive and, after reading the many no-washing, minimalist threads on this site, this idea seemed to make sense and I decided to try giving my skin a break from chemicals. I worked my way into this slowly, gradually weeding out the products I was using at the time, and working my way to my current regimen: washing with just water in AM, using a gentle cleanser at night, and then applying jojoba oil.

I wish I were as organized, or paid as much attention, as most of the posters on this site, but I must say that I don't know exactly how long it's been since I switched to the water in the morning, although probably less than 2 weeks. Anyway, my skin is now the worst I've ever seen it. I have at least 20 active spots, more than I've ever had at once, and more seem to pop up throughout the day, while the others remain for weeks or more. I also have small bumps pretty much all over my face, and clusters of pimples in areas where I'd never broken out before (my temples, my lower cheeks...).

So, I am extremely frustrated. I don't know what to do, and I'm so tired of obsessing over my skin and seeing no results. I keep thinking this is the worst of it, but then my face proves otherwise. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I stick with this, and give it a while longer to work, or should things be getting better (or at least not worse) by now? Could the jojoba oil be breaking me out? Has anyone else experienced something like this and had success in getting clear?

Well, that wasn't so short after all. If you made it through all that, thanks for reading :).

I tried the whole no washing thing and my face was never worse than it was at that time, so I would forget that and try something else. Some people just need a little something else to help them stay clear until their hormones settle down, and the acne goes away on it's own. Jojoba oil I don't believe would break you out, it's an amazing moisturizer, but then again everyone is different so I can't say for sure. In the meantime why don't you try the acne.org regimen on here, you say you've done just about everything else why not give the regimen a shot? Unless you've already tired it. Depending on how bad your acne is you could also try accutane, which seems to work for most people.

Edited by cohen888

Personally, I would stop using Proactiv. It's probably too harsh for your skin and is causing you more breakouts. My best advice is to see a Dermatologist. I would switch to a very gentle cleanser..Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser is gentle but does a great job of cleansing. I would use a toner without alcohol and a light moisturizer. Something unscented and non-comedogenic. A lot of people love Cetaphil. A Derm. might prescribe a retinoid for you, like Retin A. It will help clear out your pores. Whatever you do, don't scrub your face and stop using anything harsh (if you are) because aggitating your skin will make your acne worse. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. After reading your reply I decided to stop the washing with water thing--my skin was definitely worse since starting that regimen than it ever had been. I went back to using the Cetaphil cleanser, and I have been moisturizing with complex 15 during the day and Lac-hydrin Five lotion at night. I stopped the Jojoba oil, just in case it was breaking me out. Also a friend pointed out that my acne has really been flaring up since I have been eating a lot of soy products, so I stopped eating soy to see if that helps.

I did try the regimen for about 8 months. I had high hopes for it, but not only did it not clear my acne, it was very irritating to my skin. My skin can be very sensitive to certain things, and the acne.org bp was extremely irritating, burned my skin, and made my skin red, dry, and uncomfortable. I would like to see a derm, but I have no insurance and no money (lol) so both the derm and anything they would prescribe would be too expensive right now. In the meantime, I do think the most important thing is avoiding irritation, while adding something to treat the acne (instead of the just washing, and some moisturizing, regimen i was doing).

Again thanks for understanding. Acne has this strange power to cause such frustration and desperation. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. After reading your reply I decided to stop the washing with water thing--my skin was definitely worse since starting that regimen than it ever had been. I went back to using the Cetaphil cleanser, and I have been moisturizing with complex 15 during the day and Lac-hydrin Five lotion at night. I stopped the Jojoba oil, just in case it was breaking me out. Also a friend pointed out that my acne has really been flaring up since I have been eating a lot of soy products, so I stopped eating soy to see if that helps.

I did try the regimen for about 8 months. I had high hopes for it, but not only did it not clear my acne, it was very irritating to my skin. My skin can be very sensitive to certain things, and the acne.org bp was extremely irritating, burned my skin, and made my skin red, dry, and uncomfortable. I would like to see a derm, but I have no insurance and no money (lol) so both the derm and anything they would prescribe would be too expensive right now. In the meantime, I do think the most important thing is avoiding irritation, while adding something to treat the acne (instead of the just washing, and some moisturizing, regimen i was doing).

Again thanks for understanding. Acne has this strange power to cause such frustration and desperation. :)

I see, so you tried the regimen but how long did you stay on it? In the first week my skin was extremely irritated, burned, and overall looked horrible I almost quit it myself because it got that bad, but thanks to being motivated from people here I went past that first week and I'm very grateful that I did. It's now been only a month and I'm starting to see amazing results, so if you quit the regimen without giving it at least a month or two I highly recommend you give it another try. I'm not just saying this I really believe it works.

I stayed on it for around 8 months...I guess you didn't see that part of my post lol. :) Honestly as bad as my skin is now, and has been for the past few months, I still consider it to have been worse when I was on the regimen. At least my skin is not painful, dry, red or anything else irritating right now, and I can smile or laugh without feeling that skin-cracking feeling.

Also, I personally would just never want to go back to that dependence on bp. I never had any of the above problems while on the proactiv system, but i did notice after about a year of using it that my skin was looking sort of 'dull,' i don't really know how to describe it, but my skin tone was kind of blotchy and lacked that 'fresh' look. When i looked closely at my skin, there were all these little wrinkles all over my face--it looked like i had a paper-thin, clear, wrinkled layer over my whole face. Now, I am not a super-attractive girl and I don't wear makeup, so i need that 'fresh' look and even skin tone to look my best :)) Since stopping use of any form of bp, this wrinkled/blotchy look has completely gone away. Even if bp could get me clear right now, which i don't believe it would (since it had stopped working for me before), I just wouldn't want to put my skin back in that condition.

Even so, I really appreciate the suggestion and encouragement! :) And I am really glad it is working for you!!

yeah, i'm currently on dan's regimen right now and my face has the wrinkled blotchy look you're talking about. my skin is so red and irritated, and it's covered in whiteheads. the regimen isn't working and i've been on it for 3 months.

i tried the "do nothing regimen".. weird because i did the exact same thing you did. water in the morning, mild cleanser & jojoba oil at night. my acne was never worse. that's when i decided to go on Dan's regimen for the first time. my acne is slightly better, but just slightly. his regimen got rid of my inflamed pimples, but i still have whiteheads COVERING my face. my skin is really dry right now, too. it's just ugly. and i hate the feeling of being over dependant on BP, too.

today i decided that i'm going to limit my use of BP to only at night, and wash with only a mild cleanser in the morning. hopefully that works. also, i've been taking really long, hot showers since forever and i know that it's irritating my skin alot. my skin always has felt really tight, even when i was on the do nothing regimen, and i'm currently blaming it on the showers.

i hear that irritated skin kind of causes acne so i'm thinking that if i limit these showers that hopefully it will go away. but we'll see :/

anyway, right now i'm pretty much in the same boat as you. :boohoo:

irritated skin causes acne, oily skin causes acne, in order to get rid of the irritated skin you have to use stuff that causes oily skin, in order to get rid of the oily skin you have to use stuff that causes irritated skin. blah. that's what it seems like.

Edited by meowmeowbark

meowmeowbark, how is the bp at night working for you? i have been so desperate that i have considered going back to bp, but like you i don't want to be dependent on it again :ermm: i think you are right about the really hot water--i used to wash my face and shower with super hot water, and eventually figured out it was making my face really red and adding to the dryness. So hopefully cooler water might make a difference?

i totally feel you though, on everything you said. the regimen made my face really dry too, in addition to being broken out, which made that even more unpleasant. i'm so sorry you haven't had good results though, it definitely sucks to devote months to something only to be just as worse off as you were when you started. it is interesting that we both tried the same 'doing nothing' regimen, only to end up with worse acne.

i guess it just goes to show that

irritated skin causes acne, oily skin causes acne, in order to get rid of the irritated skin you have to use stuff that causes oily skin, in order to get rid of the oily skin you have to use stuff that causes irritated skin.

jojoba oil, as great as most people do say it is and i am sure it might work for them, broke me out. that might be part of your problem. of course, the no washing thing also is a problem as well, and im glad to hear you stopped trying that. sometimes that works at first, just because your skin is slowly drying out, and theres nothing really going on, but eventually all that dryness and not properly treating it builds up and you break out, almost no matter what.

what other stuff have you tried other than BP? there are certainly plenty of effective treatments out there and im sure there is a good one for you.

Well, it's been about a month since that initial post, and my skin is still a wreck! I hate my skin...and apparently it hates me too.

what other stuff have you tried other than BP? there are certainly plenty of effective treatments out there and im sure there is a good one for you.

Do you have any other medical conditions, or anything else going on w/ your body like being bloated to having trouble sleeping, stuff like that?

Why not try the new product called AcneScript (name is linked to their website). I'm currently taking it and have seen a huge difference in just 2 weeks. I have a log for it too with pics if you wanna see.