Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Bactrim

Has anyone here had good results taking Bactrim for folliculitus or better yet just good persistent results at all? If so how long did u take it for?

My doc is still under speculation that it may be folliculitus so he gave me bactrim to try. I have not tried it yet because i was on levaquin for lymph node which went away. On 13th day of taking levaquin i suffered a severe panic attach in which my heart started racing, was trembling, and felt like my head was dropping. Felt like i was going to die basically. Ive had a thryoid problem so i dont know if the levaquin made my thyroid cause the panic attack or not, but that is why now i am a little reluctant to try bactrim because i do not want to experience those symptoms again if it is in face antibiotics causing my thyroid to do that.

When i was on the levaquin those 13 days i was getting clear. So im thinking for that reason it is folliculitus. Also i get that tingly itch feeling. Im using clindagel right now but it doesnt prevent at all. I really want to try bactrim but dont want to have dying feeling again, but i want to try and be clear too.

Any thoughts anyone????

Has anyone here had good results taking Bactrim for folliculitus or better yet just good persistent results at all? If so how long did u take it for?

My doc is still under speculation that it may be folliculitus so he gave me bactrim to try. I have not tried it yet because i was on levaquin for lymph node which went away. On 13th day of taking levaquin i suffered a severe panic attach in which my heart started racing, was trembling, and felt like my head was dropping. Felt like i was going to die basically. Ive had a thryoid problem so i dont know if the levaquin made my thyroid cause the panic attack or not, but that is why now i am a little reluctant to try bactrim because i do not want to experience those symptoms again if it is in face antibiotics causing my thyroid to do that.

When i was on the levaquin those 13 days i was getting clear. So im thinking for that reason it is folliculitus. Also i get that tingly itch feeling. Im using clindagel right now but it doesnt prevent at all. I really want to try bactrim but dont want to have dying feeling again, but i want to try and be clear too.

Any thoughts anyone????

Noone? :cry:

I was on Bactrim for a week and a half and it was amazing <3 I swear every morning i would wake up and my skin got better and better... then I had a horrible allergic reaction to the sulfer in it! I was itchy all over my body! It was crazy! I couldn't sleep at night! I wanted my skin to keep getting better and wanted to stay on it though. lol. Then i got a rash on my face and my skin got blothy and it was time to tell the doctor. Got off it for a week and started Solodyn now. That week OFF all meds and gels my face went crazY!!!!!!!! I have a picture up! holy crap! now i'm scared to ever go off antibiotics. My face has gotten alot better from solodyn though I'm a month and a week into it. I will post a new picture soon of the progress! Make sure your not allergic to sulfer first! lol. Also she said it's one of her strongest antibiotics besides accutane.

Edited by Snowangel0917

Bactrim is best used for MRSA, not folliculitis or acne. I sure wish docs/derms would stop prescribing it. All this over-use of antibiotics is what has led to antibiotic-resistant bacteria. It's only going to get worse.

I was on Bactrim for a week and a half and it was amazing <3 I swear every morning i would wake up and my skin got better and better... then I had a horrible allergic reaction to the sulfer in it! I was itchy all over my body! It was crazy! I couldn't sleep at night! I wanted my skin to keep getting better and wanted to stay on it though. lol. Then i got a rash on my face and my skin got blothy and it was time to tell the doctor. Got off it for a week and started Solodyn now. That week OFF all meds and gels my face went crazY!!!!!!!! I have a picture up! holy crap! now i'm scared to ever go off antibiotics. My face has gotten alot better from solodyn though I'm a month and a week into it. I will post a new picture soon of the progress! Make sure your not allergic to sulfer first! lol. Also she said it's one of her strongest antibiotics besides accutane.

Is there a way to test to see if im allergic to sulfer without taking bactrim of course and making an appt wit my doc? I use H&S selenium sulfide shampoo for treatement of my sebhorric dermatitis on cheeks. Does that count? lol

Edited by JayQ

Is there a way to test to see if im allergic to sulfer without taking bactrim of course and making an appt wit my doc? I use H&S selenium sulfide shampoo for treatement of my sebhorric dermatitis on cheeks. Does that count? lol

No, those don't cause cross-reactivity; I have not found a good layperson's explanation for why though. I am allergic to sulfa medications but use Selsun Blue.

Sulfur reactions can be deadly. That's another reason to reserve Bactrim/Septra for all but the most severe infections. Your doctor may know of a way to test for sulfur allergy besides just taking the med and hoping for the best. Honestly though, the severe reactions are very rare.

There might be? I'm not sure.

I don't think that counts cause I use a Sulfer based face wash and it doesn't bother me at all! (OVACE) It works really good too. lol. I thought for sure she would take me off that too, but she didn't. So I guess internal meds have different reactions?? I also used to use the proactiv mask when I had minor acne and would leave it on over night (It has sulfer) and it never bothered me I use that forever! Talk to your doctor and see what they can do!

I read you got denied accutane??? You should go to a different Derm! My friends got on accutane for like 5 pimples!!! unless they denied you for a different reason. If I'm not back to normal after 3 months of solodyn... I'm getting accutane. It's the only thing that comes close to cure acne. Antibiotics seem to only be temp.

No, those don't cause cross-reactivity; I have not found a good layperson's explanation for why though. I am allergic to sulfa medications but use Selsun Blue.

Sulfur reactions can be deadly. That's another reason to reserve Bactrim/Septra for all but the most severe infections. Your doctor may know of a way to test for sulfur allergy besides just taking the med and hoping for the best. Honestly though, the severe reactions are very rare.

I see. Well both of you are allergic, that doesn't seem very rare to me lol, makes me more nervous of taking it. Its like pulling teeth to convince my doc to do an allergy test though.

What antibiotics have you tried?

I took mino 100mg a day for 6months. My first month it got me clear, after that it no longer had an effect. That is really the only one i have taken because i developed a thyroid problem as well, so have stayed away from antibiotics. I was on levaquin 500mg for 13 days for a lypmh node infection i had. The entire time i was on it i did not develop any acne at all. Had to stop though because it reacted with my thryoid causing me to have severe panic attacks. Boy do those sux, thought i was dying. I know it was not medication because i took the medication 2 years ago for same problem and took it for a month with no problems.

So i am a little uneasy about trying another antibiotic like bactrim for fear of reacting with my current thryoid problem. I actually see my thyroid doc tomorrow so gonna run all this by him and see what he says.

Also my doc thinks it also could be folliculitis and not acne, which is really why he prescribed me bactrim.

Hmmm. Maybe you shouldn't try it. If your acne isn't getting worse and you can live with it and try like a topical or something... cause if you do have a bad reaction...I swear after being off the Bactrim for one day i got 3 new pimples. Then at the end of the week my face was a nightmare I wouldn't go out in public. You can't just stop antibiotics...you have to gradually come off it. I had no choice though. My mom's allergic to sulfer too. So I don't know I thought I heard it was common, but I'm not sure. You should really just talk to your doctor! && find out what is the best to do.

Hmmm. Maybe you shouldn't try it. If your acne isn't getting worse and you can live with it and try like a topical or something... cause if you do have a bad reaction...I swear after being off the Bactrim for one day i got 3 new pimples. Then at the end of the week my face was a nightmare I wouldn't go out in public. You can't just stop antibiotics...you have to gradually come off it. I had no choice though. My mom's allergic to sulfer too. So I don't know I thought I heard it was common, but I'm not sure. You should really just talk to your doctor! && find out what is the best to do.

Ya, argh always hard decisions to make. I do plan on waiting to see what my thyroid doc says tomorrow. I know what you mean, as soon as i stopped the levaquin, my panic/anxiety symptoms started to become less and less severe. Took about two weeks after stopping for it to completely go way. During those two weeks though the acne/folliculitis (whatever the fuk i have lol) started to creep back and actually worse. I am still experiencing it a bit now, i hate it so much. That face reality clinic brought up earlier on these forums looks pretty intriguing though. Maybe i will go that route who knows lol.

You probably already found similar links, but here's a great one to the Mayo clinic's article on folliculitis. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folliculitis/ds00512

Note the risk factors:

Risk factors

By Mayo Clinic staff

Anyone can develop folliculitis, but certain factors make you more susceptible to the condition. These include:

Medical conditions that reduce your resistance to infection, such as diabetes, chronic leukemia, organ transplantation and HIV/AIDS

A pre-existing skin condition, such as acne or dermatitis

Trauma to your skin from surgery

Long-term antibiotic therapy for acne

Topical corticosteroid therapy

Obesity — folliculitis is more common in people who are overweight

Exposure to hot water, such as a hot tub or a heated swimming pool

STAY AWAY FROM BACTRIM! IT ALMOST COST ME MY LIFE!!!!

i started taking bactrim for my moderate-severe acne i had on my face the 5th of may. it is safe to say my face loved it! it cleared my face almost instantly, unfortunately my dermatologist did not tell me the side effects this drug could have on me. when i first started takin the drug i searched it online and i came across this website. i never found anything too dangerous so i decided to go on with the treatment. it wasnt until about 2 weeks later that i came out with shivers and body aches and a fever. since i work full time i did not have time to see a doctor and instead took ibuprofen 3 times a day and felt better while the effects lasted. this went on for about a week and i suddenly felt a lump on my throat and decided to get it checked out. this was on tuesday afternoon. i went to a primary doctor and told him i was taking bactrim for my acne and he decided that i had an infection in my gland but since i was on antibiotics he wouldnt prescribe another one so to take aleeve instead. i showed him my forearms were a little red (almost as a heat rash, nothing major) and he suggested it might be the bactrim but not to worry about it too much. the lump on my throat went away, however friday morning i woke up not being able to even open my eyes. i figured it was part of the infection, pink eye or something. although i felt no pain before that day my eyes got blood shot red and my throat had pain. i went to work normally and saturday it all got worse. i had a rash in my arms and the swelling in my eyes was unbearable so i went into a walk in clinic. this new doctor decided i had conjunctivitis in my eyes and a viral infection in my throat. my rash was from bactrim so to stop takin it immediately. my last dose taken was saturday morning i got sent benadryl for the "allergic reaction" sunday morning i wake up to a rash that took over my arms and started to go to my legs. needless to say i panicked and went to the emergency room. i was diagnosed with Steven- Johnson's syndrome. A disease so horrible that could have been deadly. fortunately i got to the hospital in time and they were able to give me and I.V., steroids and to keep me monitored. i suggest YOU ALL to do your research on this syndrome that almost took my life away! today is thursday, a little over a week all the symptoms started and my body looks like i was a victim of a fire! i was lucky enough that my skin did not blister or bubble up because of what ive seen it can be as bad as the skin falling! people can become blind forever and have issues with their organs forever. i pray to God that my bad experience with Bactrim is over and that i suffer no complications for this horrible reaction! please everyone do your research on this and all medications you decide to take. all flu like symptoms and it couldve taken my life away!