Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miya

If you've still got acne at 26, should you just give up and go on Accutane?

Okay, i have been battling acne on and off for the past nine years now (started when i was 18), it would get better for a while but it would always come back and for the past 2 years now i have been battling it every day!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I always tried to be patient, told myself that i would wait it out and that I would grow out of it someday, well i'm 26 now and i'm still fighting acne!!! And it makes it worst that NO ONE at my work has it and i do. What i'm more worried about is the scarring and i've noticed that my once smooth skin is now becoming rough and uneven textured due to past acne scars.

I've tried retin a micro, tazorac and currently epiduo. I've been on oral antibiotics also and nothing seems to truly clear me up. My acne isn't really severe...i'd say it's more moderate, i don't have it all over my face but when i do break out, it's not a normal zit, it's more like a nodule (it's not painful, but it's more like a big round dome shape red spot that would leave a scar that would take forever to go away if at all!!). I have been debating accutane for a year now. I actually got it set up so that i would start Accutane a few months ago, but i chickened out.

Should i just give in and get accutane? Or do you think there might be a chance i would out grow it still?? Does anyone really outgrow acne if they still have it at 26??? I just want to have clear skin like everyone else i see!!!! It's really bothering me and affecting my relationships bc i would get stressed out and take it out on my boyfriend/family for no reason and i can't tell them it's because of my acne bc it seems so shallow, plus i'm too self conscious to even bring up the state of my skin.

Edited by Miya

I "gave up" at 24. If you've tried stuff and it hasn't worked for you, accutane may be the best solution. As someone with no medical expertise whatsoever, it seems to me you'd be a good candidate because you've tried other treatments and your acne is impacting your personal life.

I'm 21 and I've been battling acne since I was 12 or 13. It's only gotten worse throughout the years (has turned from mild to cystic). I've tried practically every topical and antibiotic under the sun. Nothing has worked for me so I'm also considering accutane. Make sure you do enough research on accutane before you take the plunge with it, since there are alot of risks involved with taking the drug. Good luck. >_<

I had acne from when I was about 12 and when I was 24 I gave up and went on accutane. The thing to remember with tane is that it works, but it does have side effects. The side effects didn't really bother me that much but now that I've stopped it and I still get side effects, that's annoying. I've developed a rash that comes out on my eye lids sometimes that is extremely irritating, my skin is definitely redder than it used to be and I still have very dry skin. I haven't taken tane since February this year, but even then I was only taking one tablet a week for about 3 months before that. BUT I'd rather that then still have acne, I certainly like having clear skin, so for me it was worth it.

You just gotta weigh up the pros and cons...determine how much acne is really effecting your life, which it sounds like it is a lot. Ultimately it's your decision, but it does work, good luck :D

Hey I'm 36 and I STILL have acne problems. And I went on Accutane when I was in college.

I was on it for 6 months but it came back. And what ticked me off about it was that even though my dermatologist told me diet had nothing to do with my skin, the Accutane came with a long list telling me to change how I ate. So I figure, save your money and aggrevation and just change your diet. It can be tricky, you have to see exactly what foods cause you to break out, but there are a standard few you should stay away from:

1.Chocolate/sugar: Stay away from candy bars, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc etc. I wouldn't recommend having sweeteners either, as they ten to give me cravings, but they might be good to use if you want to break the habit.

2. Fried foods-Try looking for grilled chicken sandwiches or burgers without any cheese in them, or hearty salads instead.

3. Hydrogenated oil-Things like peanut butter can contain this so it's better to stay away from that. Try almond butter instead.

4. Potatoes-for some reason these can spike blood sugar levels, so its bbest to stay away from them. It's better to stay away from french fries too because of the oil they were cooked in. Or at least keep them to a minimum.

5. Bananas-More than one can spike blood sugar. So it's best to keep these at a minimum too.

6. White rice-can spike blood sugar levels.

Seafood may also cause you to break out since it has a high level of iodine in it. But it may not, it just depends on the person.

Things you can do to help your skin:

1. Eat plenty of apples. Galas are my favorite, but you can also try green apples, or whichever kind you prefer. They contain pectin, which is very good for the skin.

2. Eat plenty of carrots. These are good for scarring.

3. Have salads with broccoli and cucumber.

4. Have colesolaw. Cabbage has sulphur in it, which is very good for the skin.

5. Drink 100% fruit juices. Grape juice, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, etc all are great for the skin.

6. Eat low fat meats or lean forms of protein. Chicken, tuna, salmon, or tofu are good choices. Lean beef is another good choice.

Good luck! :)

I am 28 and still fighting it. With the change of environment (am now in UK to study) my acne has worsen since September last year. I tried everything, no choc, no meat, not even my favorite, hot and spicy food.

Recently, however, I discovered a way you can control acne. This is a low cost, DIY technique that worth trying (after so many years of acne fighting, i am willing to try on any products, not to say the least this is homemade mask from the most natural products). Blend an apple, egg white, with a few drops of lemon (so the apple won't turn brown-ish, may omit this if you want) together before adding a teaspoon of HONEY and some white flour. Honey is the most important ingredients, you may omit any of the above but NOT honey. I can't tell you how much white flour you have to mix with the ingredients, just add them together until glue-ish texture (but don't put too much until it's too dry because it's hard to wash afterwards). After that just leave them on your face for a good 20 minutes before washing your face with towel. Just to warn you, this part might get a little bit messier so you might want to lie on a towel before rubbing mask on your face. (side notes, before putting the mask, make sure your face is clean)

The routine is: every alternate day before going to bed. You may find amazing result. So far my break out has stopped and I have no acne (well, knock on wood) but only scars and lumps resulted from serious acne problem. I tried everything but this is the only way that is with immediate results. hope it helps and good luck ;)

Accutane should really be your last resort especially if you are a female. I have had acne most of my teen years and ealry tweenties. Nothing really worked. I recently tried a new product I saw on the interent called coralactives. I have been on for about 2 weeks and noticed an amazing change. They use retinol in the facial cleanser and the acne treatment has 6% BPO which I thought it would be irritating but is wasn't. They have an ingredient in both the cleanser and serum called sea whip. I read on their site it reduces inflammation and to my surprise it really does. Might want to try this before accutane.

accutane will give you a break from acne for 4-12 months if nothing else. For me it was worth it just to have clear skin for a while I felt alot better about myself and not worry about waking up to a faceful of whiteheads/spots in the morning. My skin looked alot more healthy & radiant it was lovely.

The downside it is didnt last for me. However a male friend of mine took a course in his late teens & it cured him permanently. I am considering a 5th course if nothing else works although Im being very patient at the moment & trying to ignore it.

I strongly believe in eating a healthy diet with lots of fresh food, fruit & veg, & wholegrains, beans/pulses, but my skin is still bad, i do still eat dairy however. But im sure my skin would be even worse if i ate junk.

The only concern i therefore have about accutane is it may only be a temporary solution. Although when i first head about it it was known as 'the wonder drug'. I really wish I know of anything else that really does work but i dont!

Okay, i have been battling acne on and off for the past nine years now (started when i was 18), it would get better for a while but it would always come back and for the past 2 years now i have been battling it every day!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I always tried to be patient, told myself that i would wait it out and that I would grow out of it someday, well i'm 26 now and i'm still fighting acne!!! And it makes it worst that NO ONE at my work has it and i do. What i'm more worried about is the scarring and i've noticed that my once smooth skin is now becoming rough and uneven textured due to past acne scars.

I've tried retin a micro, tazorac and currently epiduo. I've been on oral antibiotics also and nothing seems to truly clear me up. My acne isn't really severe...i'd say it's more moderate, i don't have it all over my face but when i do break out, it's not a normal zit, it's more like a nodule (it's not painful, but it's more like a big round dome shape red spot that would leave a scar that would take forever to go away if at all!!). I have been debating accutane for a year now. I actually got it set up so that i would start Accutane a few months ago, but i chickened out.

Should i just give in and get accutane? Or do you think there might be a chance i would out grow it still?? Does anyone really outgrow acne if they still have it at 26??? I just want to have clear skin like everyone else i see!!!! It's really bothering me and affecting my relationships bc i would get stressed out and take it out on my boyfriend/family for no reason and i can't tell them it's because of my acne bc it seems so shallow, plus i'm too self conscious to even bring up the state of my skin.

My story is very similar to yours....my acne is not severe, it goes from mild to moderate but it is PERSISTANT since about age 14 or 15. I'm going to be 26 in 2 weeks and have been on every medication, and I mean every except for accutane. I am seriously considering going on accutane if I don't see drastic results from retin-a micro soon. I don't want to still be worrying about acne when i'm 30.

I've had acne since I was 14 and I'm now nearly 22. Like yourself, I tried almost everything and then, out of desperation, decided to try Accutane when I was 16. It seriously was the best thing I ever did! I had clear skin for nearly 2 years afterwards (this is after having spots literally on every inch of my face!). Unfortunately, the acne came back (but not quite as bad) so I went on it a second time (my skin cleared up well again). But now I'm not taking anything (I came of Dianette over a month ago), some acne is coming back around my mouth. I do think it's worth trying as a last resort but for some people, the results aren't permanent (for others they are). I had a very happy 2 years after taking Accutane because of the brilliant results, so I would recommend it. If you decide to go ahead and try it, good luck, I hope it works well for you too! :)

im 27 with acne i took acutane twice in my life with terrible results great for the face but my hair fell out and the acne only comes back after a while.... this quote from this member xena467 i think is the best advice you will ever get..

seriously

Hey I'm 36 and I STILL have acne problems. And I went on Accutane when I was in college.

I was on it for 6 months but it came back. And what ticked me off about it was that even though my dermatologist told me diet had nothing to do with my skin, the Accutane came with a long list telling me to change how I ate. So I figure, save your money and aggrevation and just change your diet. It can be tricky, you have to see exactly what foods cause you to break out, but there are a standard few you should stay away from:

1.Chocolate/sugar: Stay away from candy bars, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc etc. I wouldn't recommend having sweeteners either, as they ten to give me cravings, but they might be good to use if you want to break the habit.

2. Fried foods-Try looking for grilled chicken sandwiches or burgers without any cheese in them, or hearty salads instead.

3. Hydrogenated oil-Things like peanut butter can contain this so it's better to stay away from that. Try almond butter instead.

4. Potatoes-for some reason these can spike blood sugar levels, so its bbest to stay away from them. It's better to stay away from french fries too because of the oil they were cooked in. Or at least keep them to a minimum.

5. Bananas-More than one can spike blood sugar. So it's best to keep these at a minimum too.

6. White rice-can spike blood sugar levels.

Seafood may also cause you to break out since it has a high level of iodine in it. But it may not, it just depends on the person.

Things you can do to help your skin:

1. Eat plenty of apples. Galas are my favorite, but you can also try green apples, or whichever kind you prefer. They contain pectin, which is very good for the skin.

2. Eat plenty of carrots. These are good for scarring.

3. Have salads with broccoli and cucumber.

4. Have colesolaw. Cabbage has sulphur in it, which is very good for the skin.

5. Drink 100% fruit juices. Grape juice, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, etc all are great for the skin.

6. Eat low fat meats or lean forms of protein. Chicken, tuna, salmon, or tofu are good choices. Lean beef is another good choice.

Good luck! :)

You talk absolute rubbish.

Please do some research before you write such comments.

What does it mean anyway "can spike blood sugar level"? An increase of glucose in blood is a normal process and will definitely not have an impact on whether you get acne or not.

Your comment is all made up and not backed up by any evidence.

I'm 25. I know how HORRIBLE it is to be dealing with this at this point. Self esteem? None to speak of. On the upside I've become a master at covering spots up with makeup, but still...

Anyways, I was on accutane for about a year when I was 18. It dried my skin out horrible. My lips would crack and bleed. And to top it off, it didnt help at all.

It scares me to think I would go so far as to use accutane. It is a serious chemical! I really believe if you have acne there must be a REASON for it, so treating it with chemicals to just dry it up isnt really treating it at all.

Now that Im 25 my skin has never been the same. It is super sensitive and dry, and yet still full of acne. Really look into diet, digestion, and hormones and things you can do naturally for that and give it 100% before you even consider accutane seriously. JMO!

I am 33, black and have been on Tane for 3 weeks. Yes, there maybe a few side effects that will differ from person to person, so far I've only had very dry lips. I have had terrible acne since I was about 13 years old and only after 3 weeks my skin is not perfect but it has NEVER been as clear as it is right now. I had many reservations about Tane from what I had heard & read. The first good sign that I noticed after a week was that my skin was not as oily as it had been. I had by far the oiliest skin I had ever seen on a person, I hated it!

After only 3 weeks I am hopeful of my results as I am on a 5 month treatment. For me, even if I have clear skin for a year or two after the completion of my treatment it would be worth it. Like any medication, you may have to continue taking it. There is no miracle drug. I don't understand the people that are so upset that they have to take Tane again after they claim they had clear skin for a few years after completing their regimine. SO WHAT...some people have to take some medications for the rest of their lives; you don't take a heart medication for 5 months and then expect that you will never have to take it again.

Edited by Coleman1