Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Since high school, I've had severe acne. I'm not saying severe because I consider two or three pimples "severe". It was severe because my doctor told me so. It was very bad. I got my acne under control but I still have a lot of red mark. I mean A LOT.

I've had similar struggles you guys are having. I struggled with making friends in college because acne made me very insecure and unsocial. But I tried something that may help.

Maybe the reason we struggle so much is because we spend so much time in the mirror.

I know this may be hard for some people but how about trying to not look in the mirror for a week?

I did this and I was able to forget that I had acne. I now have a lot more friends than before and I know they love me for me. I learned to see past the red bumpy face. I see a great and noble soul inside my imperfect body. Things may hurt or damage the body but the soul is what makes humans the divine creation they are.

I know not looking at yourself may seem self-defeating. I'm not trying to say we're too ugly for a glance at the mirror. But if we learn to not concentrate on the outside we can learn to see the depth of our own life.

I'm still a little shy but by limiting the time in front of the mirror, my self esteem boosted. I can go out and do things I couldn't before. I'm much more happy. I still feel insecure but much less then before.

I promise that there is someone in the world who loves you and cares for you when you're feeling down because of acne.

Let's get through this together!

LUCUS

Great idea and I am glad this worked for you! I have similar experiences. Sometimes when I am out at night or whatever I want to keep checking my makeup to see if it looks okay. But if I don't I feel more relaxed and sometimes more confident! There is something to this :)

Thanks. I see so many depressing topics on this board that it makes me sad. Sometimes its not the acne that hurts us but our own distorted perception of our self-worth based on appearance.

I have acne but I am not discouraged. We can be happy if we choose to.

Whenever I feel bad about my acne nowadays, I simply take off my clothes and shake my ass like there's no tomorrow. The insanity brings out the happiness in me.

^ Haha! Yes. Nekkid dancing like a goon is always fun. Seriously. Especially when singing into a hairbrush. :)

I don't look in the mirror and I still don't go out.

Maybe I just prefer indoors

i try not to worry about it too much....but i can't not look at myself....really my closet doors are mirrors so if i'm in my room i'm gonna see myself.... :doh:

but i've been trying to just go out and have fun instead of being at home in my room so hopefully it'll work :D

I definitely think that not looking in the mirror will help. I used to avoid social get-togethers with friends because my acne was bad. Even now I still do this. But I do it a lot less and I learned to accept acne as a bump in the road of life.

We don't need to obsess over our face. The more we look the more it will bother us.