Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
srotriya

Acne and cheerios

Seems the more I eat them, the more acne I get. :think: It probably has something to do with the chemicals inside them.

Edited by srotriya

Don't eat any of them. I don't get you cholesterol-tards. Cheerios are horrible. Why not eat a bowl of wholesome, organic oatmeal and do the job 10x better. You may as well be eating Lucky Charms.

Ever seen what happens to Cheerios milk after 2 days? It's not pretty. The same thing happens in your gut.

Don't eat any of them. I don't get you cholesterol-tards. Cheerios are horrible. Why not eat a bowl of wholesome, organic oatmeal and do the job 10x better. You may as well be eating Lucky Charms.

Ever seen what happens to Cheerios milk after 2 days? It's not pretty. The same thing happens in your gut.

what happens!?

I eat cereal A LOT. It's like my go to meal. So that could be a link to my acne. Maybe I'll try to get off of it for a week or so. See if it helps. But, Cheerios could do to you what Pretzels do to me. It just sort of makes my face freak out a little. But I accidentally eat a few pretzels every now and then.

Cheerios aren't very good tasting anyways (:

Try Frosted Mini Wheats.. yumm.. and like 40 grams of whole grain per serving =D

Lol I love cheerios! But...I don't eat them anymore...my bf has a box he eats out of every morning and yes, he is blessed with clear skin. He eats ANYTHING and I mean anything and not one damn spot. Sigh. :( If you think its contributing to your acne, then stop it of course.

Seems the more I eat them, the more acne I get. :think: It probably has something to do with the chemicals inside them.

Cheerios have a lot of carbs like almost all the grain products. Carbohydrates make your hormone levels rise and since you got the acne gene you already know the rest. Try reduce carbs from your diet but don't go all crazy. You need get sum to keep your energy level up.

O yeah and the sugar causes infection on your skin, prob already knew that.

Edited by stillstrugglin

How bad do you guys think Raisin Bran is?

Not good! Too much sugar per serving. When it comes to cereal JUST eat oatmeal. All the other cereals out there are just awful. The companies seem to have this mis-guided conception that simple carbs are a good energy source lol.

Cheerios have a lot of carbs like almost all the grain products. Carbohydrates make your hormone levels rise and since you got the acne gene you already know the rest. Try reduce carbs from your diet but don't go all crazy. You need get sum to keep your energy level up.

O yeah and the sugar causes infection on your skin, prob already knew that.

All carbs will affect blood sugar levels, but its the high glycemic carbohydrates which can lead to glycemic stress and therefore are the ones to be looked out for. Just eat everything in moderation Too many carbs will spike your insulin levels which isnt a good thing. Cereals are a source of high glycemic carbohydrates so its best to avoid them.

Oatmeal sucks right about now... I mean don't get me wrong, it's good w/ the right additions... but now that it's summer and I'm in hot FL the last thing I want to do is sit there and eat a hot bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Try cooking up about 1 or 2 cups (dry) organic quinoa, then once it's cooked add in about 1/2 to 1 cup organic wild frozen blueberries... it will turn the quinoa purple and add some slight sweetness to it, refrigerate the mixture in a tuberware container... in the AM get yourself a half cup serving, add cinnamon/raw honey/flaxseed... or w/e you like in yours (i dont add any spices or honey etc. but thats just me), also some walnuts or your nut of choice, some fresh cut up blueberries or strawberries, and about half a cup of ice cold vanilla unsweetened almond milk and wahlah, healthy COLD cereal for these HOT summer days!

Edited by butterflys & illusions

Sadly, the media has tried to brainwash us into thinking that breakfast time equals cereal time. Also, why all the grain hype? Sure a nice bowl of oatmeal on a Sunday morning is nice, but on your average day, just stick to something simple. If you're really hungry, how about poached eggs on toast? Or, if you aren't that hungry or in a real hurry, just grab an apple (great for teeth too).

Breakfast does not have to be the biggest meal of the day, nor the most important (contrary to popular Western belief). Look at some parts of Europe. People in Greece could care less about breakfast... simple crepes, a small dish of fruit, and a cup of coffee are the extent of most morning meals over there.

Bottom line: Throw out any and all boxed cereals in your cupboard (yes, Cheerio's included)... it won't do you (or your acne problem) any good. Try to avoid anything that is processed or has a high number of additives in it. A good tip is to become a 'perimeter shopper' the next time you go shopping for groceries.

Sadly, the media has tried to brainwash us into thinking that breakfast time equals cereal time. Also, why all the grain hype? Sure a nice bowl of oatmeal on a Sunday morning is nice, but on your average day, just stick to something simple. If you're really hungry, how about poached eggs on toast? Or, if you aren't that hungry or in a real hurry, just grab an apple (great for teeth too).

Breakfast does not have to be the biggest meal of the day, nor the most important (contrary to popular Western belief). Look at some parts of Europe. People in Greece could care less about breakfast... simple crepes, a small dish of fruit, and a cup of coffee are the extent of most morning meals over there.

Bottom line: Throw out any and all boxed cereals in your cupboard (yes, Cheerio's included)... it won't do you (or your acne problem) any good. Try to avoid anything that is processed or has a high number of additives in it. A good tip is to become a 'perimeter shopper' the next time you go shopping for groceries.

I agree-- I typically eat an apple and almonds for breakfast but ocassionally it's SO NICE to be able to eat a bowl of cold cereal when you're craving it!! Plus now that it's hot and summer out I hate eggs etc. or anything hot or that needs to be heated for breakfast as I want something refreshing and that will cool me off... but maybe thats just me?? :think:

As far as extruded refined breakfast cereal products go, I'd say cheerios are among the least of all evils. By no means good, but if you must eat cereal... you could do a lot worse.

Oats, which is what Cheerios are made from, are high in phytic acid. Phytic acid can limit your body's ability to absorb minerals such as zinc. If you are a vegetarian, I'd consider eating less Cheerios, because you're already not getting much zinc. However, if you do eat meat, I'd say forget about it - Cheerios taste good, are higher in fiber, and are probably not causing your acne.

No, it probably has something to do with the high GI of the very processed cereal and the milk.

I don't know if it's coincidence or correlation, but you could definitely be onto something. My skin was fabulous for 1.5 weeks, two days in a row I eat cheerios, which I hadn't been doing previous to, and I broke out quite a bit the next couple days after :think: