Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foreverdoomed

my mom won't let me get it ;'[

How do i make her understand? everybody is always laughing at me in school . I'm 16. this is supposed to be the highlight of my years. I couldn't wait till i turned 16 ever since i was a middle schooler. ive had acne since 14 . and i've tried proactive and every single prescription cream and anti biotic. from tetracycline to bactrim and more.

i am currently on bactrim cus minocycline didnt do anything for me. and im also on tazorac because stievamycin sucked. and none of them work. my face is so itchy. i like more than a dozen whit eheads on both my cheeks each. and blackheads on my chin.

My dermatologist is really careless too. he looks at my face for two seconds and then gives me some garbage meds. i told him that nothing is working and he was like ' oh we're runnin out of meds.'

I wanna go on accutane even though im afraid of blood especially needles that extract blood but im willing to do this for my skin.

but my mom is STERN about not letting me get it because of the risks to the kidney/liver, etc.

How do i convince her? she wont listen ='[

You will have to be really mature and patient with her: try explaining rationally that nothing is working for you and that accutane is the only drug with serious long term effects. Look up some medical studies online to show that you are really serious about this. Also, explain that breaking out is really affecting your life, and tell her exactly how it makes you feel.

She cares about you, and like you said, is worried about the side effects. let her know that the only COMMON side effects are dry lips and dry skin, and that the other side effects listed are rare and unlikely, just like with any medication. (you'll want to find other sources for this.)

Most of all, be persistent, calm, PATIENT and rational, as hard as it may be.

Good luck!! I hope it works out for you, and let us know what happens. :)

My mother was the same (even though im 19 its weird she still dictates me life...i guess they just really care about your health). I basically did what missmooshoo said, show her facts, figures, stories. I think it would be really worth a shot to show her before and after photos on the thread here, and maybe even find some logs with remarkable results (there are many!!) for her to read. Print them out and give them to her, let her read them in her own time, and she will see most of the people taking accutane are similar to you, age wise and acne wise (tried everything, nothing works etc). She will read that its mostly dry lips and scalps people have problems with, and let her know you would rather suffer from those, than embarrasment and sadness throughout schooling. I know i went through what you are going through school and i wish i took accutane earlier. It clears up for some people after 18 and i was hopeful, but unfortunatley my skin for worse and now i am stuck with scarring and deeper more painful acne :wall:

I was really scared about all of the side effects, too, when I was researching Accutane. My Mom is the exact opposite--I kept asking her for advice about whether I should take Accutane or not, and she told me it was a decision I was going to have to make on my own.

Accutane has been a really positive experience for me. I hope that your Mom will understand after you talk with her.

You can show her this website, and a couple of people's blogs on here (the positive ones, of course) to show that your kidney's won't fail.

How do i make her understand? everybody is always laughing at me in school . I'm 16. this is supposed to be the highlight of my years. I couldn't wait till i turned 16 ever since i was a middle schooler. ive had acne since 14 . and i've tried proactive and every single prescription cream and anti biotic. from tetracycline to bactrim and more.

i am currently on bactrim cus minocycline didnt do anything for me. and im also on tazorac because stievamycin sucked. and none of them work. my face is so itchy. i like more than a dozen whit eheads on both my cheeks each. and blackheads on my chin.

My dermatologist is really careless too. he looks at my face for two seconds and then gives me some garbage meds. i told him that nothing is working and he was like ' oh we're runnin out of meds.'

I wanna go on accutane even though im afraid of blood especially needles that extract blood but im willing to do this for my skin.

but my mom is STERN about not letting me get it because of the risks to the kidney/liver, etc.

How do i convince her? she wont listen ='[

My mom was/is really worried about the rare side effects that can occur, mainly because a friend of the family did experience some major stomach issues due to Accutane. I still value her opinion regardless of the fact that it was ultimately my decision to start the medication (I'm 24), so I just talked to her about how acne affects me everyday (give specific examples so she can put herself in your position), and how this was the next step to take, as no other treatments had proven effective. It sounds like you've tried just about everything too. Good luck!!