Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
singingfool

Zinc Used for Acne

I'm taking 50 mg of zinc daily and I was wondering if this is a bad thing. I'm a 17 year old female. Should I switch to 30 mg? I don't want to throw my 50 mg tablets away though.

I'm taking 50 mg of zinc daily and I was wondering if this is a bad thing. I'm a 17 year old female. Should I switch to 30 mg? I don't want to throw my 50 mg tablets away though.

Hey there! I was thinking of adding vitamins/supplements to my regimen so this was a topic of interest for me. I looked some stuff up and here's what I found (some of it conflicting):

"The danger of taking zinc supplements can be summarized in two words: zinc overdose. A zinc dose of 40 milligrams is approved safe to use by FDA and a zinc dosage more than this can pose certain risks. In terms of zinc toxicity, there is no other way to put it: excess zinc is dangerous! This is primarily true because too much zinc will likely interfere with the metabolism and absorption of other essential minerals in your body, most especially iron, magnesium and copper."

"The recommended daily zinc requirement is 8 mg for adult women and 11 mg for adult men....In order to achieve 8 mg or 11 mg of zinc per day, you actually need to consume more than that because your body absorbs approximately 20%-40% of the zinc it digests. It is safe to take zinc supplements with an approximate 40 mg – 50 mg zinc content on a daily basis. Do not exceed that amount unless you have consulted a physician! If you consume 100 mg – 500 mg per day, you will experience serious side effects. The longer you “overdose” on zinc, the worse your side effects will be."

Basicallt what I found was that most places suggested that girls our age, between 14-18 have about 8-9 mg(haha you're overdosing by that standard) but the second quote makes sense. Personally I would switch to a lower amount, as 50 seems to be flirting a bit with the "too high" amount. If you really don't want to throw them away, maybe don't take them every day? Space them out. Or, give them to your dad or someone as guys seem to be able to handle higher amounts better. But honestly I think you can finish those off and then get a 40 mg one, or if you want 30.

Good luck!

I took 100mg of zinc gluconate for about 5 months with absolutely no side effects. I have reduced it to 50 mg (after researching about the dangers of overdosing + its more economical) and still have no side effects. I cannot guarantee the same to you though. everybody is different. It has definitely helped alot though. It took a few months to see a notable difference though.

Edited by red2528

50 mg of elemental zinc should be fine, assuming that's the elemental zinc content. The RDA is the average level of intake that is sufficient to meet the requirements of healthy individuals. If you're not "healthy" (or fighting a disease), you can take more. The tolerable upper limit is set at 34 mg for males and females 14-18 years old, and 40 mg when older. If you want to switch, you might want to have a look at other forms: zinc monomethionine (opti-zinc) and zinc picolinate are best absorbed. It's best to take zinc as far away from other foods as possible so it won't have to compete with other minerals like iron and copper. Be careful with gluconate though: it can make you very nauseous. If it does, then take with food. Long term use of zinc may lead to copper deficiency, just have a copper supplement to prevent that from happening. If I remember correctly, a 1:100 ratio should be OK, meaning if you take 50 mg of zinc, you should take 500 mcg of copper. Just do some research to be sure.