Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just joined acne.org today even though i've been looking around for a while. I have my very first dermatologist visit on Thursday, crossing my fingers until then hoping I will get a sweetheart for a doctor. I have had acne since probably, age fifteen but it has been horrible, horrible for now about three years. I have had no health insurance since it started scarring and getting bad so I now have three years worth of scarring on my face :(. My sweetheart of a boyfriend (dating four years) decided that he was going to help me pay for accutane/generic since he's tired of seeing me so self conscious and down all the time. I am paying for all of this out of pocket so I really hope that I am in the high percentage of people that are cured quickly and forever.

I hope to find someone that will soon be starting and looking for some support and advice. I also have a couple of questions:

1) My skin isn't extremely oily. And I live in a dry climate. Is that a problem? I know that accutane's main goal is to reduce oil production but what if my skin isn't that oily?

2) How many labs are needed and what are the prices on them?

3) How much are your doctors visits and how many do you need?

4) I weigh 115 pounds and I am 5'3 any ideas on what dosage I might be going on? The maximum I might be on?

5) Is vitamin E a good or bad idea while on Accutane? I am currently taking it to help my scarring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am super excited yet nervous at the same time. I can't believe that someday I might have clear skin. Makes me tear up :)

I've included a couple of pictures, that is me with make-up on :( a couple of pimples, A LOT of scarring, taken at night so that is all actually a lot redder than it looks :(

Welcome... I too did accutane out of pocket, so I will relate my experiences:

I was on a five month course... So that is probably 6 visits (the initial consultation + 1/month)... 5 labs (although i may not have done the last one), and of course 5 months of generic accutane (claravis in my case). The total was something between $1500- 2k...

It sounds as if you have already selected a derm, but if you haven't, my advice is to get price quotes from them. It sounds stupid, but from my experience prices varied dramatically. Also, I was able to get my lab work done at the derm's office, and that saved me a lot as well.

The last thing i would recommend as far as finances is freedrugcard.us. It sounds scandalous as hell, but having used it, i can attest to its legitimacy. It isnt huge savings, but over the course of the course it added up to a pretty decent amount.

So yeah... you are probably looking at 5 months on 40-60mg. I can't comment on the dry skin thing, because mine was freakishly oily. I know that seeing the price probably makes you cringe, but if it works- and in most cases it does- it is worth every cent. Good luck!

Edited by arthurkirkland

Thanks for your advice and input arthurkirkland :)

Here's a sad but better picture. What do you guys think accutane can do for me?

Edited by dorismarilyn

Thanks for your advice and input arthurkirkland :)

Here's a sad but better picture. What do you guys think accutane can do for me?

Since I hate studying for finals, i will reply to this too :surprised:

It is hard to say with certainty, but there is a pretty high success rate it seems. It doesn't always happen right away though, so don't get discouraged if you are still breaking out into the 3rd month...

Edited by arthurkirkland