Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TalkingMonkey

Can someone tell me what kind of acne I have?

Pic:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8034/dscn0134yw.jpg

I don't have "zits" per se, well, just a few of them. I mean, I rarely get whiteheads or large spots. Instead, what I have is worse: loads and loads of little speckled spots. I have very fair skin, and I'm Irish (not a redhead though, but I have red-head skin).

It's like someone got a paintbrush, dabbed it in red paint, and flicked it at my face.

These spots cannot be popped (papules, I suppose), but they can barely be felt. If I run my hand over my face, it feels smooth.

The spots are highly visible after I get out of the shower, and also at some random and inconvenient times. At other times, they slightly fade into the general redness/pinkness of the rest of my face, and hence it doesn't look as bad.

Still, it looks terrible most of the time. If anyone needs a photo, I'll dig up my camera later and take a pic.

Edited by TalkingMonkey

Those look like papules to me. Do you get overall redness or flushing of your skin as well? Its possible that you may also have the type of rosacea that causes papular breakouts (given the fair-skinned Irish background).

What have you tried on your skin?

Those look like papules to me. Do you get overall redness or flushing of your skin as well? Its possible that you may also have the type of rosacea that causes papular breakouts (given the fair-skinned Irish background).

I've considered the rosacea, yeah. I'm currently on an anti-candida diet to combat it. It seems to be mitigating it and I've heard, from reliable sources, good things about the efficacy of a low-sugar diet on facial flushing and acne.

I tried Dan's BP regimen but it turned me as red as beetroot so I had to give it up.

It's interesting you say the rosacea causes the papule breakout - is the "causal link" well established?

I've considered the rosacea, yeah. I'm currently on an anti-candida diet to combat it. It seems to be mitigating it and I've heard, from reliable sources, good things about the efficacy of a low-sugar diet on facial flushing and acne.

I tried Dan's BP regimen but it turned me as red as beetroot so I had to give it up.

It's interesting you say the rosacea causes the papule breakout - is the "causal link" well established?

Yes, some people do get papules or pustules with their rosacea breakouts. It can be hard to distinguish them from acne papules sometimes. You might try seeing a doctor to see if you can get a diagnosis. Diet may help, but it likely won't completely control the problem (whether its acne or rosacea). If you can see a derm, you might ask about going on finacea. Its really good for both rosacea and acne - its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and helps reduce redness.

Can someone tell me what kind of acne I have too? Plz. I am fifteen.

1uuocp

It looks like mild inflammatory acne to me (combo of pustules and papules). Dan's regimen (the one that is often recommended to people on this board) with 2.5% BP might work well for you. Have you tried seeing a dermatologist?

Pic:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8034/dscn0134yw.jpg

I don't have "zits" per se, well, just a few of them. I mean, I rarely get whiteheads or large spots. Instead, what I have is worse: loads and loads of little speckled spots. I have very fair skin, and I'm Irish (not a redhead though, but I have red-head skin).

It's like someone got a paintbrush, dabbed it in red paint, and flicked it at my face.

These spots cannot be popped (papules, I suppose), but they can barely be felt. If I run my hand over my face, it feels smooth.

The spots are highly visible after I get out of the shower, and also at some random and inconvenient times. At other times, they slightly fade into the general redness/pinkness of the rest of my face, and hence it doesn't look as bad.

Still, it looks terrible most of the time. If anyone needs a photo, I'll dig up my camera later and take a pic.

You have 'dry skin' so BP gel is not the answer, i suggest using an 'ALOE VERA' cream everyday or even twice daily, this will even your complexion and in the long term keep your face looking healthy, fix the red marks and even slow down wrinkles haha.

good luck, aloe vera 'cream' not gel or anything else, it has to be the cream.

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely check out aloe vera cream (not gel) and I plan to visit a dermatologist soon.

I have a question if you don't mind: I may need some "emergency" clearing up, and I have a tub of Clearasil Ultra pads. I have used them before with some success (temporarily clearing me up).

I wonder is there any risk of them exacerbating facial redness? When I went on Dan's regimen, after a week I suddenly got so ridiculously red I had to hide out, like a hermit, for nearly a week for the redness to subside.