Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
honeymaid

Early acne possible indicator of severe acne in future

The claimed benefits for early treatment are depressingly unsubstantiated. "helps prevent scars" to what degree? In what percentage of patients?

That is interesting. I got my first cyst when I was about 15 and it's been downhill from there. But thinking back on it, I can't remember when I first started getting acne.

Good to know though for my future children (if I have them).

The claimed benefits for early treatment are depressingly unsubstantiated. "helps prevent scars" to what degree? In what percentage of patients?

If you prevent the formation of acne then you have less of a chance of forming scars. That's what is meant by "helps prevent scars". You can't have acne scars or many acne scars if you greatly reduce the amount of acne breakouts and its severity can you?

You're right that there's no solid proof to back the claim up, but the point of these studies were to determine if there is a correlation between early acne and severe acne. I think they're basically saying that yes, more research needs to be done. And there's nothing wrong with an opinion article. I don't think they expect dermatologists to follow it without doing their own research.

That is interesting. I got my first cyst when I was about 15 and it's been downhill from there. But thinking back on it, I can't remember when I first started getting acne.

Good to know though for my future children (if I have them).

Yea,

I started having minor breakouts when I started menstruating. That was at 11. If I ever have kids (girls in particular) I will pay close attention. I still only have minor breakouts around my cycle and or times of immense stress. But I'm sure had I been on some sort of regimen I would not have broken out as badly around these times.

From my own experiences, I got pretty bad acne (moderate - severe) yet I got my first few spots at about age 17. So not from a particularly early age.

This is not an “opinion article†this is based on a two longitudinal studies done by dermatologists. The data supports the core focus of the article and that is by tracking the development of acne in preadolescents and adolescent’s, doctors can determine the severity of that patients acne in the future and also start preventing the formation of acne in by prescribing an effective solution.

Furthermore, the article does not say it prevents scars it says it reduces the risk of acne scars.