Find results in...

Hay guys,

My name is Heather

I'm 14 years old

Weigh around 125 pounds

And I have just been put on 40 mg Claravis Accutane

Well- Here we go :)

Days 1-6

So I've been on 'tane now for about 6 days now.

I started getting acne when I was nine years old, and it was NOT too pretty. It got sever when I was about 12 and I tried EVERYTHING. I tried all of the over the counter products from wal-mart, all the pills like tetricycline, monocycline, solodyn, and a few others and none really ever cleared me up.

Then came the aweful topical gels like benzaclyne and differen :( I had to use them religously every night for about 2 years and I was miserable. I'd apply them after I washed my face and it dried out my skin and made my face feel like it was caked and gross :( I hated not being normal and having the oppurtunity to just wash and sleep with no fear of waking up to a face full of scarring and pimples. Normal skin would have been great to have.

But I don't and I'm still getting over that fact. So I went to a new derm about a a month ago and he was great. I told him how miserable the topicals made me feel and he completely understood. He said that I should be put on Accutane and that I wld see better and PERMANENT results from it. So I'm really anxious!!

After years of feeling akward and self concious, I'm so happy to have a medicine come along that gives me hope for permanent results, and clear skin.

But let me clarify a little bit, I used to have SEVERE acne but its calmed down a bit from the topical gels. I mainly get acne in my cheeks and occasionally my chin. But the scarring bothers me just as much as the acne. My makeup covers almost EVERYTHING, but I don't desire to cake make up on every day of my life.... So I'm really depending on tane. I just want my skin to be naturally beautiful.

Since being on tane for 6 days now, My skin is getting dry and its kinda uncomfortable, but i am noticing little differences in my acne. I'm on 40 mg Claravis and use A LOT of chapstick. lol . Annnyyyywayy, from people who've taken accutane for a while now-

How long will your skin stay dry?? Will your skin just get more dry as the days and weeks pass? Also, lol----- when do you think scarring will begin to fade or improve while on tane?

Need some answers :)

Stay tuned! :D

Thanxx ;)

Edited by butterflybrunnette121

Your skin will stay dry throughout the entire course, so make friends with chapstick and lotion. I found that my dryness got worse for about two or three weeks, and then it sort of plateaued and is now manageable. Good luck with your course! :D

Hey girls ;)

Thanks for the advice, it's helping me to expect what's gonna happen a little later on in the treatement. I wish you all the *best* of luck with your accutane experiences and hope to hear from ya later!

Days 7-8 of Tane

So this is the end of my first week being on accutane.....

So far my skin is getting really dry and flaky on my forehead, under my nose, and on my chin.... lol along with the rest of my face -sadly. I keep on re-applying my Olay lotion constantly, but the dryness is starting to make my skin feel uncomfortable and tight. But, hey, never said it wasn't worth it. ;)

I can see that my acne is being reduced already! Okay, so it's not a huge difference... but I notice the changes. The acne on my cheeks is really being minimized. I can totally see that the pills are making my pimples smaller and less noticeable! I'm going to have to tough the whole "dry skin" crap out, but as long as it's soon-to-be-acne-free-dry skin - I'm goood ta go ;)

My skin burns whenever I apply lotion on my neck and face, but I'm trying to keep it under control.

So last night I got super nauseous, and wanted to puke basically :wacko: .. and I really don't know if it was the tane or not. I stayed up for hours waiting for it to end. Also, for the past few days, I've been having chest pain, back pain, and a little joint pain... my ribs and lower back just ache at random moments- especially when I stretch.

That was kind of unexpected, but I'm sure it's not a big deal.

I used a lil benzaclyne and differen last night because of pimples that I thought wouldn't clear by morning. So by this morning, I woke up to find three new zits resting upon my face oh-so- wonderfully. :confused: I was lyk, "ugh.....face----why do ya have to be like that?" :/

The pills *are* def helping though.... I found out I could actually go one or two nights without applying topicals and going through my exhausting nightly routine! I can just relax once a week and just wash and be done with it for the night without really having to worry about alot of annoying break outs poppin up the next morning.

But just to be safe, I'm still going to use a little bit of my topicals to clear up the acne that has overstayed its welcome.. :doubt:

To sum the first week of tane up- It IS working! plus** my acne is practically being flattened, none of it right now is big or sticks out.. so yes, improvements have just said "hello" to me :3

As of right now- my skin's dry, but much smoother on tha cheeks (facial ,people) lol

My makeup doesn’t look as good as it used to because of the dryness, but I can manage.

Day 8 I had a few pointy pimples sticking out of my chin :wall: And they just got worse and a bigger as the day went on. I started to get nervous about more break outs appearing, because they were painful. Waiting to see where my skin will be in another week!

I know that the longer I'm on this stuff

the better my skin will look. :wub:

Any advice?

Any great chap-sticks to use out there? .. bc mine kinda sorta sux lol

~Heather

Hey! My skin feels like its burning a bit when I use certain products. I'd try a different kind with less irritating ingredients if that's even possible. And the back pain should simmer down over time. - Improving? WOAH!

If your skin is getting too dry, befriend Cetaphil. I'm pretty sure that almost every other accutane user will back me on this. This stuff's amazing.

I get those weird, annoying chest pains too, like if I breathe too heavily I get this stabbing pain. it's fun.

It's good to hear that you're already seeing changes! At least you know the stuff is working :D

Days 9-12 people

So it's been about a good 4 days until I posted bout my progress so far.

And thanks to a certian comment, I am so going to look into using cetaphil. thanxx btw :)

Anyways, the past 3 or 4 days, I've had to lather lotion on my face literally every 30 minutes. But the only parts I really needed to apply it to was my chin and the skin around my mouth.

But again, it was embarrassing... mostly because I went to a Casting Crowns concert last night in NC and during the concert- I was constantly re-applying lotion because it wasn't working and my skin was just so flaky.I went with my youth group and I felt like some people thought I was weird or a priss just for taking care of my skin. Truth be told... *Akward* :redface: ... lol

So besides this insane dryness, hours before the concert when me and my friends were just hanging out and getting ready to load the van to travel to NC, my mom told me to moisturize and not forget to take my pill. My friend Sarah turned and said, "Oh, is that for your acne?" I was kinna hurt and a little embarrassed (thank God no guys were around us at the time)

I nodded and said yes, and she added,

"Well, it looks better already. I mean, it looks smoother and your skin just looks pretty. I like it."

It was sooo great to hear that from someone! :dance: And it's true, my acne is improving and smoothing out. It's just exciting :)

Whenever I wasn't rubbing lotion on my face, I felt as if my skin was healthier and prettier.

My skin isn't as oily as was before also. There's alot more work to be done, but I'm happy with my results so far.

I know it's weird, but my scalp has been feeling really sensitive- like it's sunburnt.

Is it just me, or is it normal?

As for the pain I've been having.. It's kinda gotten worse.

I can't bend down or stretch without having sharp pain in my back, chest, or ribs.

It gives me the feelign like I'm pregnant or old lol

My mom makes fun of me sometimes when I groan about it though. haha

Since the dry, falky skin has become more of a problem lately, I tried this new

St. Ives Apricot scrub. I even bought a little exfoliating sponge- I made sure it wasn't hard or scratchy though because my skin is already sensitive.

But, I really like it so far. It's gentle, but gets rid of the iritating flakes and some rough patches.

So that's a thing to try.

I was guilty last night though....

I didn't get home from the concert until about 1:00 in the morning and I was totally exhausted so I just slacked off from washing my face even though I felt like I really should have.

So because of that, I thought my skin would form about three new pimples like it ALWAYS does whenever I skip, but this time it didn't ;)

I woke up to find that nothing new appeared. So "yay"

Instead, I found that maybe a zit or two got a little bigger, but that's it.

My skin would have looked better if I took care of it last night, but I'm just glad I don't look like peperoni pizza today. It's a relief.

So there's another improvement for ya. :)

This experience really does give me alot of hope for beautiful, clear, and healthy skin

Your's truly,

~Heather

Advice and Comments are always welcome

Hey! My skin feels like its burning a bit when I use certain products. I'd try a different kind with less irritating ingredients if that's even possible. And the back pain should simmer down over time. - Improving? WOAH!

Glad to hear that the back pain won't last :)

I know it's a dumb question, but how do you get your "ACCUTANE LOG" and some other info to stay on your posts and replies? Bc I'm always having to re-type my log.

Thanxx :)

Hi!

I am...gulp...38 and have the exact same experience with all topicals, etc. as you other than I have been doing it 20 more years than you! I just started accutane as well and am on the same dose. I am on day 4. I only notice my finger tips being dry. The other thing I noticed was that instead of getting new cystic acne, I am getting full-out, massive, want to immediately pop them, white headed zits. I have 3 of them that just showed up. I am actually better with this than the cysts, so we will see where it goes from here. Could be dangerous!!!

Best of luck to you!

EZ

Glad to hear that the back pain won't last :)

I know it's a dumb question, but how do you get your "ACCUTANE LOG" and some other info to stay on your posts and replies? Bc I'm always having to re-type my log.

Thanxx :)

thanks girl :)

Hi!

I am...gulp...38 and have the exact same experience with all topicals, etc. as you other than I have been doing it 20 more years than you! I just started accutane as well and am on the same dose. I am on day 4. I only notice my finger tips being dry. The other thing I noticed was that instead of getting new cystic acne, I am getting full-out, massive, want to immediately pop them, white headed zits. I have 3 of them that just showed up. I am actually better with this than the cysts, so we will see where it goes from here. Could be dangerous!!!

Best of luck to you!

EZ

I know! I mean, I'm glad that I don't usually get the bif fat painful pimple snemore, but the whiteheaded zits poke out when you least expect it...they're annoying....

btw, get ready for skin ta get really flaky and/or cracked soon!

Best luck to you too :)

p.s.- I could not IMAGINE how bad it would be if I went 20 more years on the same topical routine

Glad you finally got put on some stuff that will really do the job

Hey guys, sorry that I haven't been posting for a while lately.

Anyways, now I'm done with my first full month of tane and I'm in the second!! :)

Begginning of 2nd Month

My face has improved ALOT considering what aweful and reoccuring acne I had before. All I have to do now is cleanse my face every night and morning, and apply some Olay lotion. I hardly ever get suprise pimples and my skin is a lot smoother as well.

My face isnt as high-maintenance as it used to be- and it feels more healthy.

Now, I don't have to reapply powder (over top of foundation ofcourse) every other hour of my day- because my skin has become wayyyy less oily.

Point blank- my skin is smoother and less oily. And So far, I have more confidence about my face :)

Although, my lips are still kinna horrible. Especially when dry skin collects around the edges of my lips. So, reapplying lotion starts to get annoying after a while- when ur at school anyway.

The back pain and the aching in my body aren't the best things in the world.

But I'm really happy with the results I'm getting :) The dry skin and the aches are worth it to be honest.

I'm not caking all these topical gels on my face at night after i wash my face. Now I can just wash thoroughly, apply lotion, go to bed, and feel comfortable in my skin.

It's wayy less of a hassle. :D

Also, just a warnign to others- It might just be me-...

but everytime I drink milk- I break out the very next morning.

i've even tested it before. It might just be the way MY body works with the hormones in the milk, but I just wanted to help out if I could.

So now I just drink lots of water, and it helps keep my face clear and healthy.

I do have one question for others who are on tane though...

**My acne is improving so much,but the deep- and darkish scars that I hide with make-up seem to only be fading a *little* bit.

Could ANYONE tell me when the scarring will begin to just disappear?? :(

I just really wanna be able to wear my hair back and not look like a priss for looking in the mirror a lot because I'm insecure about it. And I need to know when the scarring will really start to just go away.

~Thanxx :)

I'll keep you tuned in on how it goes later this month!!

Woww...we have alot more in common then I thought I'd have with anybody on here. Haha!

All I can say is that I live in the same universe you do when it comes to the makeup stuff. I just don't wanna have to worry bout taking an extra 20 mins in the morning to make sure my skin actually looks normal.

But at least it's getting better for you! That's a plus. (:

And for the scarring question...I have no idea. Lol, hopefully somebody else will know the answer! Keep us updated...

I'm glad to hear that your skin is clearing so well! I agree it's great to have skin that isn't SO high maintenance. As for the red marks, it's different for everyone. Just wear sunscreen and maybe you can look into brightening products as long as they don't irritate you. Now that you're not breaking out, I'm sure your skin will get plenty of time to heal itself. ;)